Author Topic: Problems with reparse point  (Read 7802 times)

Offline jc1glockguy

• View Profile
Problems with reparse point
« on: October 04, 2016, 06:30:00 am »
I am using Windows 7 Pro 64bit and have had updating problems. SFC reports no integrity violations. I ran option 2 and it reported Package files are good and environment variables was good as well. The report I get is " missing default reparse point C:\users\dub_ato\application data and reports target default reparse point is missing and can cause problems. When I run the fix option and reboot back to safe mode and re-run the same test the same problem returns. I have copied the log file that was generated, if I should submit this let me know. Thanks for your help in advance. Regards.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with reparse point
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 08:51:13 am »
It probably relates to something that is installed on your computer and isn't a system file which is why it has remained.

I have a couple on my Win 10 laptop but I'm not aware of any adverse effects.

Download FreeFixer and when you locate it, click on the More info which should tell you what it relates to.

http://www.freefixer.com/

Offline jc1glockguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 02:51:00 pm »
Hi Boggin, thanks for the tip. I will give it a shot. I know of others who are having problems with Windows 7 not updating anymore. I purchased the pro version of Tweaking but was disappointed that it could not fix the issue with the update problem and or the reparse point issue. In my humble opinion, Microsoft should be sued by now, especially the way they force feed Windows 10 down everybody's throat. Even M.S.'s own updating fix program  claims it can't fix the update issue because of "Rootcause RC_dataStore" ErrorCode 0x80070057, and collected file name CheckSURLog.cab. If you can elaborate on these messages or I will run the program first that you recommend and get back with you. Thanks very much for your time and consideration. Once I master this updating issue, I can help others as  well. Take care, John

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 03:58:57 pm »
What did the Checksur log report after running the System Update Readiness Tool ?

Sometimes these commands run from an elevated command prompt can help - you can copy & paste to the cmd prompt where they'll auto run except perhaps for the last net one where you'll need to press enter.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

exit

(to close the cmd window after the cmds have executed)

If they don't do it, WSUS Offline Update has proven to be a final solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXAOvbNJYyE

http://download.wsusoffline.net/

Offline jc1glockguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 03:02:12 am »
Thanks again, Boggin. I have been pulled away from this project for a short time but did not want your help going ignored. Freefix found some issues but did not help the updating program. I will try your list of other suggestions as time permits and hope to get back in the near future. Thanks again!!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 03:09:57 am »
FreeFixer was to see if you could find what dub_ato related to and would have no effect on Windows Updates.

You could also run a sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt to see if that reports any corruption or if it has fixed anything.

If the sfc /scannow reports it is unable to repair some files then download/run SFCFix.exe from http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/sfcfix.html and that will produce its own report.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 03:15:17 am by Boggin »

Offline jc1glockguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 03:35:44 am »
Thanks for reminding me and keeping me on task to re-run tweaking pro to see if the reparse point issue was fixed! Freefixer did make reference to that autodub file and now I forget, but I think it was deleted by me as an option. The only thing I had a chance to do was reboot and see if the updating issue was fixed but no such luck, it continues to hang forever. I will be in touch, when time permits and again, I can't express in words about your kindness to humanity in helping me. The intentions of what your heart contains is evident to me. Peace, brother.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 03:40:41 am »
To you too :) - but you should find that WSUS should fix your update problems.

Offline jc1glockguy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 03:45:01 am »
Understood. Will do. Thanks much. T.T.Y.Soon.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 03:49:02 am »
After WSUS has downloaded and installed the updates it has found, go to Windows Update to see if any more are outstanding and if there are, they should download and install without any problem.

Offline jc1glockguy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2016, 04:03:33 am »
Super!! Have a great upcoming weekend!! I will eventually let you know how this all works out. Peace, Bro.