Author Topic: My PC cannot update. At all. [Windows 10 Version 1511]  (Read 7776 times)

Offline ClammyMantis488

• View Profile
My PC cannot update. At all. [Windows 10 Version 1511]
« on: October 17, 2016, 07:11:38 pm »
I've tried everything besides refreshing my PC. I have tried SFC, (in less than a second I get "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.") SCANNING health with DISM, ("Error: 1450 Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.") Windows Update Troubleshooter, (says fixed but when ran again, same problem comes up) and tons of other "solutions" that do nothing. I posted on here http://bit.ly/2e2XHgW about this before, but nothing worked. I would suggest reading those as I don't want to type out everything I have tried (it may exceed a word limit, if any). I think you guys might be able to help more than them (no offense guys over there, I was fortunate to get only insider responses). Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 07:35:51 pm by ClammyMantis488 »
Hyped for the Nintendo Switch!!!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: My PC cannot update. At all. [Windows 10 Version 1511]
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 03:17:22 pm »
I don't know why someone should tell you to try the updates in Safe Mode as updates don't work in that mode.

Can you check that the date and time is correct as that would stop any updates just as a 3rd party antivirus program can and it's worth disabling yours to see if the updates succeed, but it's unlikely that the default Windows Defender would cause any problems.

Go Start - Settings - Update & Security then click on Activation to see what that says - it will tell you your version and if it is activated.

You can download the ISO from https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 by clicking on the Download tool now button and read the section for Using the tool to create installation media.

This will auto download the version for your system and includes the Anniversary Update to take you initially to 14393.0

From within Windows, open Windows Explorer/This PC - insert the disk then double click on the DVD drive to run the setup.exe.

You should be able to update with that, but first disable any 3rd party antivirus program, go into Task Manager/Startup and disable all items then go Start - type msconfig and press enter.

Under the Services tab check the box to Hide all Microsoft services - Disable all - Apply - OK and restart, but it's a must that you check the box to Hide all MS services before you hit those buttons.

Offline ClammyMantis488

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 04:44:22 pm »
The date and time are correct. Windows is activated with a digital entitlement. I'll try the ISO and your steps. IDK if it'll work though.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 06:00:51 pm by ClammyMantis488, Reason: Grammar »

Offline ClammyMantis488

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 03:19:40 pm »
So, next suggestion?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 03:37:32 pm »
I think I'd contact MS for that one and they should be able to sort that but you may need to provide the COA sticker product key for them to validate.

Offline ClammyMantis488

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 03:53:19 pm »
I'm not sure how well this is going to work. You see, this PC had an interesting life. It was my friend's PC and came in a Dell case, but it kinda seems like an OEM. My friend's brother broke it, and they got a new PC. I come along, having built my PC, and missing a Windows. I fix it, take it, and plug it in. If I remember correctly, It was stubborn at first but eventually gave in to being used on this machine. I can ask my friend where the PC was from. It may have just been using the Dell's case and is an OEM. Would they help if it is an OEM?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 04:10:35 pm »
I would think it unlikely your friend would still have the case to copy the COA sticker key, but it doesn't matter whether it was an OEM or retail install - it would only have upgraded first time if it was recognised as a genuine install.

Which version of Windows did you upgrade from and did you get the updates for that version okay ?

The fact that it shows as activated but the key is not recognised may be caused by another problem.

Download the free version of Speccy - wait until it has Analyzed then expand Operating System where it should give the Win 10 product key.

MS may want to log into your system to try a few things out, but they are usually okay with that, although you could create a system image first.

https://www.piriform.com/speccy

Offline ClammyMantis488

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 04:13:02 pm »
I think he just threw it out ;-; (I was there last week too) Upgraded from Windows 7. The updates were working fine on that one. I'll try out that program.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 04:16:26 pm »
You wouldn't get updates on a non-genuine copy and you would have gotten pop ups to tell you that it wasn't genuine.

Did you have to change the product key to get it to work or something else ?

Offline ClammyMantis488

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 04:17:42 pm »
No, it was stuck in recovery mode. I don't remember how I got it out. I just saw the product key. Do I call Microsoft? And if I do, what do I say?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 04:20:19 pm by ClammyMantis488 »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 04:20:28 pm »
Well see what MS have to say.