Author Topic: Is there any software that exclusively check the dvd drive and not media disk  (Read 6371 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi,
                 When i try to copy the contents of the dvd file, i come across crc, circular redundancy check error 23, saying cannot read from source file or disk. I thought it would be a problematic disc and replaces with another media disc. CrC error repeated. I then tried copy thro command prompt robocopy. But it also list the same error listing that and trying to copy the same file again and again.
                         I know the nero disc speed and other utitlities that do the surface scan on the disk. Is there any program , that would check the disk drive, i mean here dvd drive. If so, i could check whether my dvd drive is working full functional.
Numorous software for retrieving the data from disc. But is there any program that would scan the drive for errors of the dvd drive without the disc being inserted.
                            i could not do chkdsk for this volume thro command prompt.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Windows has a DVD drive diagnostic you could try and is the only one I know about.

However, from this article it would suggest that the data on the disk is corrupt -

https://askleo.com/how_do_i_fix_a_cyclic_redundancy_check_error_when_i_try_to_copy_a_file/

You can usually check the contents of a disk by placing the disk in the DVD drive then run a cmd prompt as an admin and enter chkdsk x: /f where x is the drive letter for your DVD drive.

The only time that would fail is if there is something wrong with the drive or the disk is write protected.

What were you getting when you tried a chkdsk ?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, Boggins
Windows has a DVD drive diagnostic
what is it and where it is located so that i could try.
               disc may be discarded but not the drive. Is there any software exclusively scan the dvd drive without disc.If i try chkdsk without disc, it gives me error.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Just so that I understand, is the file you are trying to copy, on the DVD or on the computer ?

That error 23 suggests that the data is corrupt, but do you have a file that you can copy onto another DVD to check out your DVD drive.

This HP troubleshooter is good for checking out disk drive problems.

http://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c03280768

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, I found out that the media is the problematic one as it is dvd r.
It is my sincere advise not to buy dvd r, instead buy dvd rw.
I do not know why? Because the content of rw worked fine and it copied without any error.
But i want to know, why it is called cyclic redundancy check error? is that means that the lens try to read that part of the dvd but could not go ahead or is it different issue altogether.
                   Does that mean that it actually has not written anything before on that part? or there was some kind of scratches , smudges in that part. I thought it is a kind of ring that it writes data in it. This ring if damaged would result in the reading of the disc on that part not possible and it could not move further on?
                               Even though the price of dvd rw is slightly costlier, but it saves your data well. Am i correct? what is the differnece in quality in btw these two, read only and read and write. As it could be erased and rewritten, the parts are little bit stable ? please reply

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I've always used DVD-R and currently use the Verbatim brand but have also used Maxell which were also trouble free.

Not all DVDs are of the same quality.

The advantage of using a DVD-RW though is that it is rewritable.