Author Topic: suggestion for new [program  (Read 8871 times)

Offline peterr

• View Profile
suggestion for new [program
« on: September 14, 2012, 09:20:10 am »
Hello Shane
If this is seemingly  ridiculous to a programmer, it is because of my computer naivetée with the registry.
Most  fear that a registry cleaner will make an error and remove the wrong entry.
If there were two ways of looking at the registry, as in two cleaners, there would be some common entries to be removed. If the program cross referenced the two findings and only kept those that the two found in common, would that not reduce the odds of removing the wrong entries. I do not know if all of this can be put in one comprehensive program but it woud be a big attraction.
1-Step one = one cleaner analyze the pc
2-Step two =  the second cleaner analyze the registry differently.
3-Step three =  find the enties that they found in common by cross referencing.
Then with a restore point created the cleaning would only apply to those the two DIFFERENT approaches detected.
Thjs is probably eay to suggest yet difficult to create but maybe worth considering.
Peter

Offline neroilo

• View Profile
Re: suggestion for new [program
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 12:08:49 pm »
I don't think it's possible because most registry cleaners (including CCleaner) are closed source software.

I suggest instead to create a new topic about all registry keys to exclude from removal i.e. Registry Keys Ignore List.

I have no problem to share some registry keys that don't need to be deleted.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 12:10:36 pm by neroilo »

Offline peterr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 12:39:19 pm »

I am not too good with pc lingo but I think you are suggesting I create a thread of keys to exclusde when running Ccleaner because the program cannot be developed. If so I understand.

More importantly, I was just in a Windows Seven Forum and I asked a question about system restore. The person replied that I should stop using a second registry program or I will have trouble. I don't know how to defend your program and doubt there will be a conflict. I usually drop the hint and tell them the name of the program when they write back.
I tried to copy the conversation with this shortcut if you wish to comment. There won't be a problem will there? I do not know what to say other than i was going to contact the author.
http://www.sevenforums.com/showthread.php?t=252842&goto=newpost

Offline neroilo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 12:58:36 pm »

I am not too good with pc lingo but I think you are suggesting I create a thread of keys to exclusde when running Ccleaner because the program cannot be developed. If so I understand.

More importantly, I was just in a Windows Seven Forum and I asked a question about system restore. The person replied that I should stop using a second registry program or I will have trouble. I don't know how to defend your program and doubt there will be a conflict. I usually drop the hint and tell them the name of the program when they write back.
I tried to copy the conversation with this shortcut if you wish to comment. There won't be a problem will there? I do not know what to say other than i was going to contact the author.

Probably he wanted to say that System Restore is bundled in Windows 7 (considered better than XP) and you won't have any problem using it.
But if you aren't careful it could be damaged or corrupted as any Windows component.
For this reason I think using a reliable secondary registry backup is a good precaution.
Registry backup is stable to me, and I never had critical problems...

Everyone has their own ideas.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 02:00:27 pm by neroilo »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 01:37:24 pm »

It all depends on what the other backup program is. In this case mine is very safe as it is just backing up the reg files as they are. It isnt making any changes to the system.

And MANY people have problems with system restore and the restore points being corrupted or damaged. So having another backup of the reg is always a good idea.

Shane

Offline neroilo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 01:55:01 pm »
@peterr: I have just noticed that you copied my previous answer in that thread without my authorization.

Please don't do it anymore, and use your thoughts to describe things. It's pretty annoying.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 02:10:33 pm by neroilo »

Offline peterr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 09:09:47 am »
Hello Neroilo
Luckily I came back to do a search so I could ask Shane about an idea I have and saw your post that said I annoyed you.
If I did it was not on purpose but if you will let me know what I did I will be glad to apologize to you in public here on the forum. I try to be polite but am human and perhaps did something to offend you. Please write back. I am surprised I never got the thread in my inbox so it is good that I did this search.
Peter