Author Topic: Windows 10 almost opens then stops.  (Read 4577 times)

Offline Phototaker

• View Profile
Windows 10 almost opens then stops.
« on: November 07, 2016, 05:09:45 pm »
I had an unusual thing happen to my PC yesterday.  I 'm using Windows 10 64 bit with all of its updates installed.  I had updated some drivers & all appeared good.  I installed a new version of some software.  Both antivirus & malware scans are done every day & before any new install. Then I logged off.

When the machine started up I got to see the 4 blue panels for Windows, then the screen went blank for a few seconds before seeing my picture that normally displays.  Then the screen just went black.  I have rebooted a few times & still I can't get into Windows proper.

I had been using the latest version of Classic shell & had made a couple of alterations before logging off.  Is this likely to be the cause of my problem?  Since I can't get into the machine at all I can't ever get to run your  Tweaking program.  If I could is it likely to likely to fix my problem?
Thanks in advance

Offline Phototaker

• View Profile
Re: Windows 10 almost opens then stops.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 07:28:47 pm »
Eventually I got Windows to at open up a little by pressing the F5 key at boot up but it wanted a Microsoft I'd account I'd & a password..I can't recall ever creating one as it's just more information to give away.

I did however find information about Windows instillation,which was installed in a shop. 

I haven't proceeded because there might be a better option.  My c drive is an ssd & it had been cloned about 2 months ago but most people with an ssd I have never tested  it. If this would be a good way to go is it just a case of swapping the drive after taking out original ssd?

If I were to use it what will I lose? Personal data, newly installed programs  and the huge anniversary update?
Thanks in advance

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 almost opens then stops.
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 01:27:27 am »
There's someone on another forum who had to change their drive and attempted to clone the new one with Macrium but because the user had multiple partitions, it didn't take and the machine refused to boot.

Formatting the drive and reinstalling the OS then trying Macrium still didn't put things back to the way it was.

You could try a clean install and then use your clone and may have better luck than that user if your set up isn't as complex.

You can create Win 10 bootable media by using the Download now button in https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 but read the info in how to use the tool.

As you are in Oz then Google how do I create a win 10 iso and that will give you the website for your locale.

If you haven't got the machine to check the DVD and USB drives before the SSD/HDD then when you do get it booted up, press and hold F2 then Restart, continuing to hold F2 until the BIOS comes up.