Author Topic: Any websites owned by Google have trouble loading on my computer.  (Read 6742 times)

Offline Relogic

• View Profile
Using Windows 7 Professional
Browsers tried: lates versions of Firefox, IE, Opera, and Chrome
No spyware, malware, viruses, etc on my machine
Used CCleaner and Tweaking.com Windows Repair Pro but not luck
My computer is hooked in to an AT&T Router/Modem combo through an ethernet cable
Devices connected to the WiFi on my network have no problem with Google sites

Youtube.com homepage never loads fully, and videos hardly ever load, but when they do it's extremely slow
Google.com search is the same way, and even the links within the search won't open all the time
Google docs is the same way as the 2 above, and when it does load it's rare that the docs I want will load
Gmail, same thing...takes forever to login if i even can

The odd thing is, sometimes I can do what I need to, other times I can't...it changes from one minute to the next.  Youtube is the most consistent for never working properly.  And i've started using Bing.com for my search since Google.com is just about as iffy.

What's going on?

Offline GuruSR

• View Profile
Re: Any websites owned by Google have trouble loading on my computer.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 08:33:01 pm »
Hit Start, type:  cmd
Press enter, type this:

tracert google.com

Any locations that show a * (timeout), make not of the number it is, or ALT+Print Screen and paste that into Paint and show the window's contents.

Non-Google sites work fine?  Chances are, the provider you're with is routing through a site where Google is being directly affected (meaning there's a machine in the path to Google sites that's failing), you should see about finding the domain name of that machine (if there is one), you can usually google the IP or the name and get some sort of website to contact them, show them the picture of your tracert (traceroute) output as they may not be aware it's failing.

GuruSR.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 02:02:47 am »
It could be a winsock problem.

Go Start - type cmd then right click on cmd and select Run as administrator - accept the UAC then enter these commands -

netsh winsock reset catalog

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

shutdown /r /t 00

After the reboot if there's still no improvement, then reset the Hosts file to default.

At one time MS had an auto fix button for this but now you have to do it manually -

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/972034

Offline Relogic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 02:06:25 am »
Hit Start, type:  cmd
Press enter, type this:

tracert google.com

Any locations that show a * (timeout), make not of the number it is, or ALT+Print Screen and paste that into Paint and show the window's contents.

Non-Google sites work fine?  Chances are, the provider you're with is routing through a site where Google is being directly affected (meaning there's a machine in the path to Google sites that's failing), you should see about finding the domain name of that machine (if there is one), you can usually google the IP or the name and get some sort of website to contact them, show them the picture of your tracert (traceroute) output as they may not be aware it's failing.

GuruSR.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 02:18:16 am by Relogic »

Offline Relogic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 02:16:27 am »
It could be a winsock problem.

Go Start - type cmd then right click on cmd and select Run as administrator - accept the UAC then enter these commands -

netsh winsock reset catalog

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

shutdown /r /t 00

After the reboot if there's still no improvement, then reset the Hosts file to default.

At one time MS had an auto fix button for this but now you have to do it manually -

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/972034

Damn, that worked like a charm.  Why is that and will I keep having to do it every so often? 

The tracert still looks exactly the same as the one I posted above though.  However, not having any problems with loading anything google now.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 02:19:20 am by Relogic »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 02:27:26 am »
It depends what caused it in the first place, but you shouldn't have to do it too often, if at all - but they are handy cmds to try if you have the same problems in Safe Mode with Networking.

Antivirus programs can also cause connectivity problems and booting into Safe Mode with Networking will isolate that and other 3rd party programs that could be conflicting.

Offline GuruSR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 07:34:11 am »
Line 2 of your tracert is your provider, that timeout means the modem on the street level is possibly faulty, try rebooting your modem (power off and on) and after it resyncs, try the tracert again, that line 2 shouldn't ever give you a timeout, if it does, then the line 1 (your modem) is having issues talking to the other one.

GuruSR.