Author Topic: All apps except Edge broke after fixing permissions with 'Windows Repair'  (Read 7070 times)

Offline andawra

• View Profile
Hey there, something messed with my permissions a while ago and it stopped Edge from starting correctly (among other things like Installers not working always).

I ran Tweaking.com's Windows Repair to reset all permissions and everything else

it fixed Edge, it starts again - but all other apps are greyed/blacked out and have a little exclamation mark now

See http://i.imgur.com/OvslRqV.png

Including the built in photo viewer and the media player. The media player will say "The remote procedure call failed" while every other app just says "This app can't open"

Here is the event from the event viewer from trying to start the store app

Code: [Select]
Faulting application name: WinStore.App.exe, version: 11610.1001.10.0, time stamp: 0x581a88a7
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.14393.321, time stamp: 0x57f4c4f0
Exception code: 0x00000004
Fault offset: 0x0000000000017788
Faulting process id: 0x1f6c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d24b0c558c0086
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsStore_11610.1001.10.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\WinStore.App.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: f1dd577d-30fa-4df1-a923-a8f46c720eab
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.WindowsStore_11610.1001.10.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

Judging by process explorer it's not just apps that obviously have a problem with the reset permissions but also programs and services including Windows Defender (MsMpEng.exe) - usually Access Denied errors

please help!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: All apps except Edge broke after fixing permissions with 'Windows Repair'
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 06:02:59 am »
There was a major change done to the registry in Win 10 by the August Update which affects default apps when the Windows Repair program is run.

Shane is aware of this as it has already been reported by other users and has/is been working hard to overcome it, but WR in its current form is unable to overcome it.

Shane is currently working on v4.0 of the program and while I don't yet have any details as to whether he can resolve it, it is hopeful that v4.0 may do it.

Can you open the program again in Safe Mode and use the Registry Restore function to take it back to before you ran the repairs.

You may have to use the dropdown button to select the date of the registry backup before hitting the restore button.

I don't know why you are still using 14393.321 as the current version is 14393.447

Do you have all of your Windows Updates ?

What I would suggest is to download the Win 10 ISO to create bootable media and perform a repair install which won't affect your personal stuff or installed programs.

I've found this goes better with the antivirus program fully disabled or uninstalled to avoid a possible hang on the 74% reboot.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Read the instructions then use the Download tool now button.

To perform a repair install, open Windows Explorer/This PC - stick the media in then click on the drive where the install will be mostly automated.

Offline andawra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 06:14:03 am »
That's.. not good. You should probably release a hotfixed version that warns about this or prevents resetting the permissions on the anniversary update.

But yea Windows Update says my device is fully updated. Though trying to reset the apps over and over again to get them to work might have downgraded some.

http://i.imgur.com/SUlBlt4.png
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 06:21:26 am by andawra »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 06:36:14 am »
That's strange, your Winver says you are using the current version but the KERNELBASE.dll in the event log shows as .321

I'll ask if a caveat can be included at www.tweaking.com for not to use it on Win 10 for the moment.

Offline jpm

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 02:13:46 pm »
There's actually a bug in windows registry hive  for current user classes. They say they are having a hotfix coming in spring.  I don't think this has anything to do with that and we test well on anniversary edition.  I handle most of the support mail here and this issue has not shown up. 

First thing you should do is a chkdsk  and your system is clean.  Makes sure you have the latest version.  Then reboot in safemode and run the program again - may help.  Sometimes the repairs just need to be run twice. 

Offline takitezsdc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 04:39:45 pm »
Shane and Boggin..........I just reinstalled windows and ran the tweaking pro........IT BROKE permissions again!!!  you guys need to take the download link DOWN,  until you fix this.  This is total BS.......I am sorry but I have lost my patience on this.  I bought pro to help me FIX windows problems NOT break them.......IF Shane does not  have time to update and fix the program then he has a responsibility to take the download link down and post warnings to anyone that is using it after an update or whatever MS does to break your program. 

I am busy too........its not fair to me or others that your / Shane's excuse is that he doesn't have time or it takes a while to fix the issues.......WELL TAKE DOWN the link and stop updating a broken program until its tested. HELL I even volunteer to test and help.......but this is just crazy.