Author Topic: Tweaking Registry Backup:PROBLEM. help!  (Read 7373 times)

Offline foxadriano

• View Profile
Tweaking Registry Backup:PROBLEM. help!
« on: December 07, 2016, 02:58:00 pm »
Hello I use Windows 10 on the PC and notebook. Some time ago I installed Tweaking Registry Backup on my PC and it is working fine without problems on my PC. Today I have installed another Tweaking Registry Backup on my notebook but I get problems. When I turn on my notebook I noticed it doesn't load Tweaking progrm. On the PC before showing the desktop I see for one second the image of Tweaking software (while loading) but it is not the same on my notebook.
Can I solve this problem?
Thanks
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 10:34:12 pm by foxadriano »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Tweaking Registry Backup:PROBLEM. help!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 03:28:56 pm »
I don't use RB so don't know how it should appear, but have asked Shane for his comments.

I use the Registry Backup occasionally in the Windows Repair program.

Offline foxadriano

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 10:35:14 pm »
It is impossible to contact Shane. He doesn't permit PMs.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 01:46:10 am »
I email him but because of his busy schedule, I may have to wait for a reply and sometimes have to give it a Bump.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 04:11:16 am »
- Go through the "Settings" screens. What options have you selected ?
- If RB makes a copy then it should add another folder to the "C:\Regbackup" folder.
- Did you select "One copy per day" ? Then it's no surprise to see that RB doesn't make a copy.
- Do you have logs ? That already can give a clue of what's going on.
- Open Task Manager as soon as you start your laptop. What does it report/show ?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 04:14:09 am by Willy2 »

Offline foxadriano

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 08:26:53 am »
I thank you for your reply but .. I'm sorry, I'm inexperienced and I don't understand you well.

- Go through the "Settings" screens. What options have you selected ?
I see it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tugkfd9ev92qmpi/Backup%20Registry.jpg?dl=0

- If RB makes a copy then it should add another folder to the "C:\Regbackup" folder.
I don't have that folder in "C"

- Did you select "One copy per day" ? Then it's no surprise to see that RB doesn't make a copy.
I don't see where is that option

- Do you have logs ? That already can give a clue of what's going on.
If you are telling me if Tweaking is saving the files I tell you it doesn't save any file.

- Open Task Manager as soon as you start your laptop. What does it report/show ?
If I open Task Manager as soon as shows the desktop I don't see Tweaking.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 08:53:04 am »
- Open RB. Choose the "Settings" tab. Then there's button at the bottom of the GUI called "Open Advanced Settings"

- Logs: when you made a backup (manually) then an extra button pops up called "view logs". Then RB will open the folder with the latest logs.

- When RB fails to make a copy then an extra process shows up in Task Manager called "Backup failed.exe"
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 09:02:04 am by Willy2 »

Offline foxadriano

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 09:32:31 am »
Thanks for your precious news. Now I have some something but not all.
I have just made a Backup manually clicking on Backup Now Tab and I saw that saved file.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rb4egnvcc7yruav/2%20Backup%20R.jpg?dl=0
But I'd like Tweaking makes backup automatically. I attach you the Settings og my Tweaking:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/otzkxoglsifiuph/1%20Backup%20R.jpg?dl=0
In my PC as soon as the desktop appears Tweaking makes the Backup (in that precise time) every day (but once only every day, that is the first time I turn on my PC).
Do I have to change some settings?
Thanks

PS: What I don't understand is: why with my PC do I not have the same problems like in my nootebook?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 09:49:57 am by foxadriano »

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 10:37:55 am »
- Is there a update program running on your system ? That could interfere with RB.
- Untick "Always use fallback". And try make a backup (manually). Does the program report that VSS is running/OK ?
- You ticked the box "Only one copy per day". That could prevent RB from making a backup. The name of the log folders contain a date & name. How many folders are in the log folder ? There should be only one folder for each day (think: name & date in the folder name).
- You ran RB under the user account and "minimized". That means that RB only should show a icon in tray or a button on the task bar. And then no GUI will be visible.

- With these suggestions (see this & pervious posts), compare how RB behaves on your desktop (??) and the laptop. Change the settings and see how RB's behaviour changes.

- Run TWeaking's Windows Repair to see if that would help to fix the problem on your laptop. VSS could be "broken" and then your need to run - at least - repair #4 & #19 (Windows Repair).

Offline foxadriano

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 11:25:58 am »
- Is there a update program running on your system ? That could interfere with RB.
In Task Manager I don't see any running update program

- Untick "Always use fallback". And try make a backup (manually). Does the program report that VSS is running/OK ?
Ok, I have just untick "Always use fallback" but I don't understand what you mean with "VSS is running"

- You ticked the box "Only one copy per day". That could prevent RB from making a backup. The name of the log folders contain a date & name. How many folders are in the log folder ? There should be only one folder for each day (think: name & date in the folder name).
"Only one copy per day" is not the problem because Some hours ago it was unticked and I had the same problem. Anyway I unticked it again. Yes, in the "Bakups" folder there are some folders with saved registry files. But I made them manually.

- You ran RB under the user account and "minimized". That means that RB only should show a icon in tray or a button on the task bar. And then no GUI will be visible.
I have just changed from "Minimized" to "Normal"

- With these suggestions (see this & pervious posts), compare how RB behaves on your desktop (??) and the laptop. Change the settings and see how RB's behaviour changes.
Ok, but I remember you my Tweaking desktop works perfectly for default.

- Run TWeaking's Windows Repair to see if that would help to fix the problem on your laptop. VSS could be "broken" and then your need to run - at least - repair #4 & #19 (Windows Repair).
I think it is not necessary because I have formatted the harddrive 2 days ago and installed Windows 10. It is a fresh install.

Anyway after all that I don't notice any different behavior of Tweaking. I'm worried now.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 11:27:39 am by foxadriano »

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 01:45:20 pm »
- VSS = Volume Shadow Copy System. It allows RB to backup more parts of the registry. Untick "Always fall back up" and manually make a backup with RB. Under the "Backup Now" button there should be something like "Volume Shadow running: Yes" (2x). Then VSS is OK.

- I am starting to think that your HDD is failing.

After this, I am out of suggestions. Perhaps someone else has some ideas ?