Author Topic: envelope printer small bug/design issue  (Read 5749 times)

Offline rpesq

• View Profile
envelope printer small bug/design issue
« on: December 13, 2016, 12:53:32 pm »
Hi,

Excellent program, we've talked about the prog back when you first released it.

Anyway, the current issue/bug is:

I have 2 printers.  If you switch printers in the program, it forgets ALL of the printing settings you configured -- (envelope size, paper bin, print quality). 

The program should really default to the previous settings you were using with that printer.  For example, I always use a #10 envelope, auto paper bin, and highest print res.  I *usually* print with my old Laserjet 4L, but sometimes use my Officejet R80 if the 4L is printing a large job.  Everytime I change the printer in this program, it makes me re-enter all 3 of those printing options.

Can you make the program remember those last settings for each printer?

thanks!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: envelope printer small bug/design issue
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 03:54:13 pm »
The program will only stay on those settings while it is started and continuous envelope printing.

Offline rpesq

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 04:37:09 pm »
Actually no. 

It remembers those settings fine as long as you never switch the dropdown box to a different printer.  When I was only using 1 printer, I never had to mess with those settings.

My suggestion is that it would be nice to have the program remember those settings both DURING use (switching back-and-forth between printers AND remember those settings upon restarting the program.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 12:18:26 am »
Well it seems a small inconvenience to put up with - but why do you need to change printers.

Perhaps you are creating your own problems.

Given Shane's work schedule I doubt that he'll have time to do anything about it in the short term, but I'll pass your request onto him.

Offline rpesq

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 07:38:35 am »
Why?  ...because 1 printer is occupied with a large print job, but I still need to print an envelope....

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 07:53:45 am »
Try planning your work better.

Anyway, I've passed it onto Shane, but don't know when I'll get a reply.

Offline rpesq

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 08:14:16 am »
Wow, full of yourself, are you?

I'll chock this up to your having limited experience multitasking, because otherwise your reply is condescending, ignorant and misinformed.  The workflow is already optimized to the extent possible.  I could explain why this is so, but I get the impression that you'd just have a dismissive reply.

I mean, honestly, this suggestion to "remember printer settings" is such common-sense that I honestly felt like it was a small bug that needed fixing, or possibly an oversight if Shane does not have multiple printers, he may have never noticed that all the settings needed to be re-entered anytime you switched the printers.  Not sure why you are so dismissive of it.

I have not been on this forum for approx a year.  Apparently things have changed, as I see that Shane apparently no longer has time to man the forum (which is fully understandable....).  Shane's replies were never condescending or uninformed.

Anyway, I do appreciate your passing the request/information along to Shane, and I respect the service that he GIVES to the community with his quality software.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 08:51:05 am »
I'm not full of myself but you are right - I'm not in an office environment but I do try to organize before I start a job.

When you know you have envelopes to print then dedicate one printer for those jobs.