Author Topic: Windows 10 repair reverts 1607 back to 1511  (Read 7259 times)

Offline jonjof

• View Profile
Windows 10 repair reverts 1607 back to 1511
« on: December 28, 2016, 04:50:19 am »
Apologies if this has been answered already, but I do not find a reference.
After I ran a repair on Windows 10 anniversary version, the installation was reverted back to version 1511.
Is there any solution to repair back to 1607?
Without running the anniversary  update again, which was most likely the initial cause of a networking adapter problem.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 repair reverts 1607 back to 1511
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 05:31:11 am »
I can't see how that could have happened.

You could use Option 5 in the repair program to restore the registry, but what networking problem did you have after the AU ?

Offline jonjof

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 06:06:19 am »
Many thanks for the reply.

Most likely the anniversary update did not complete.
What happened was there were no networking connection options listed after the attempted update.
So networking was not possible at all.

Under Device amanger the LAN Intel ethernet card shows as being present and installed and up to date and working.

I went through many troubleshooting repairs most included in these articles, and nothing worked.

http://www.askvg.com/fix-one-or-more-network-protocols-are-missing-on-this-computer-error-in-windows/
http://www.askvg.com/fix-network-connections-folder-is-empty-in-windows-not-showing-network-adapters-list/

The tweak repair DID restore the adapter.

But what also happened after teh repair is that there were numerous unidentified files on my desktop, and when I tried removing them, the installation froze, and I resorted to restoring via an image I had saved prior to the update.

I have updated a large number of Windows 10 computers from version 1511 to 1607, and most of them updated fine.
But 3 of my computers ended up with the missing network adapters!

I do not have any virtual networking options listed in these articles such as Cisco on this client or any of the others 2 that had this problem.

Perhaps you had some experience with this already?

Jonathan J

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 07:01:38 am »
Are you updating using a Win 10 install disk ?

Was it the actual AU that caused the network problem or the subsequent updates that followed the AU ?

I've done a number of repair installs on one of my Win 7 to 10 laptops and I opt for not to look for updates.

The current Win 10 ISO AFAIK still only takes you to 1607 14393.0 and its the subsequent updates that take you to 14393.576 although there is now an optional one that will get you to .577 should you have these problems - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3213522

Not sure if the elevated cmd netcfg -v -winpe would do anything for you if netcfg -d didn't.

You can see what the netcfg cmds can do by opening a cmd prompt and entering netcfg /?

In Settings/Network & Internet there is a Network reset option, but netcgf -d already does that.

Offline jonjof

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 09:06:08 am »

I am using the ISO which is dated around June 2016 and I run the setup directly from my hard drive after downloading the ISO.

Interesting, I had not noticed the recent cumulative update relates to maybe a simlar issue as you point out.
I suspect these Virtualization issues reported on the recent KB 3213522 are probably not related to what I am seeing on the primary upgrade.

Interesting also, I never saw this issue on any of my computers on the first upgrade I did mostly from Windows 7 to Windows 10. 

No further updates could be done as networking is immediately cut off after the windows restart.
But when I get a chance I wil try running this most recent update on the third computer, as I have not corrected  this issue yet on that one!
Will also first try the command netcfg -v -winpe! 

Thanks for the interest and info.

Offline jonjof

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 09:21:16 am »
Could you perhaps also comment on "strange" files [about 100 at least] that remained on the desktop after the Tweak Repair? I usually only have around 10 files on the desktop.
They appear to have some links to executable windows files, because when I tried moving or deleting them, I received a message about possible problems on doing this!!!
Perhaps there was something else I could have done to :manage" these? 

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 10:51:15 am »
This is also a strange phenomenon - can you post a screen shot and I'll get someone to look at it.

Which version of Windows Repair did you use and did you run the repairs in Safe Mode ?

Offline jonjof

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 12:34:01 pm »
Unfortunately I did not take a screen shot. The names were meaningless, and there were some files that may have been pdf’s but they could not be opened or viewed, as one sees with corrupted files. I used a recent version of the repair application dated 6 November and did run the repair in safe mode.
Interestingly I ran the repair on a local user account, and the corrupted files were found on the domain user account after the repair.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 12:50:05 pm »
Do you have the same situation on another computer that you had on this one where you could take a screen shot and copy that pic across to post.

If you have a look at www.tweaking.com you will see which version of Windows Repair you ran as there wasn't an updated version between 12th July and 12th Dec.

We need to ensure you actually ran Windows Repair and not perhaps Reimage which can sometimes pop up in an advert as some have done.

I've been in contact with Shane who wrote the program and he can't see either how it could have rolled you back because it would have had to have changed thousands of files.

I'm going to have to go shortly but will be back later.

Offline jonjof

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 01:45:27 pm »
The corrupted files I saw only occurred on one client and I reverted back to original situation using Paragon image restore after spending too much time trying to fix the problem.
So unfortunately I can’t give you now any further specific data on those corrupted files.
I definitely used Windows Repair from Tweaking, and I am aware of Reimage, which I am a bit suspicious of.
The exe I used is called ‘windows_repair.exe’ and the file size is around 29 MB. Dated 6 November 2016.
I agree also it is probably impossible to have reverted back a version of W10. I had assumed the update had completed as I did not see a message that the update had reverted, which I usually note on the feature update failure.

I repaired the second of the 3 problem computers with Tweaking repair, and I did not see anything similar to the first issue. I do know for sure the update did not complete on this one, so it seems clearer the windows update itself did not reverse completely back to normal.

I will probably only get physical access to the third computer next week, as it is far from where I am now.
if the latest update does not fix the issue , I will run Tweaking Repair again and see if anything similar happens, but I doubt to see the same thing again!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 03:03:49 pm »
Okay - give us an update when you can.