Author Topic: Sys Restore & other problems after running Windows Repair Tool v3.9.23 on Vista.  (Read 21035 times)

Offline Pepo

• View Profile
From what I've found on Google, I don't think you need to worry about this - it would seem if something changes the .ini setting, that no longer matches what it was so sfc /scannow snags it.

If there had been anything untoward with the Packages then the Pre-Scan would have reported a problem.

However, I'll ask about it.

Thanks Boggin, I truly appreciate all of your advice!

Did you give any thought to my theory about my update problems, as being, the possibility that updates may have been installed out of sequence at some stage last year?  I could download and install them last year!

Because of my limited internet data, I've always set Windows Update notify me of updates, but let me choose whether to download and install them!

As I recall, when I checked my update history before running Windows Repair V3.9.23,  Windows Update indicated that my last downloads were done sometime in June or July 2016, and my latest installation of those updates was about 5th December 2016!
Since then I haven't been able to find any updates to download and install.

Maybe this has some relevance?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 04:00:00 am by Pepo »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
For those that have an earlier date to December, are they listed earlier as having failed in update history ?

In Win 7 some updates need to be installed first before others, but Vista is alien to me with never having used it.

I wouldn't worry too much about your updates just yet and wait to see WSUS gives you.

BTW - did you find the leak ?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I've gotten a reply back that the Sidebar error isn't anything to worry about unless it's causing problems.

Not sure what problems it could cause though.

A link was attached as a fix but the article that has the fix mentions KB2416472 which is different to your KB948465, so I've asked for clarification.

As it's the weekend I may not get an answer until Monday, but as things stand, it isn't that urgent.

Offline Pepo

• View Profile
For those that have an earlier date to December, are they listed earlier as having failed in update history ?

In Win 7 some updates need to be installed first before others, but Vista is alien to me with never having used it.

I wouldn't worry too much about your updates just yet and wait to see WSUS gives you.

BTW - did you find the leak ?

Yes I was having problems with update installs failing too often last year!
Unfortunately I lost all of my update history when I reset Windows Update in an effort to fix it.
However, as a stroke of luck, while I was trying to work out a list of updates that failed, so I could compare them with what I should have, I went thru my update history and saved info to a word document using abbreviations for the update types etc.
It's a little messy, but I did find some irregularities!  As examples for a start-
1  The Malicious Software Removal tool, which should download, install and run monthly, actually     downloaded and installed on a daily basis several times!
    This would have wasted a great deal of my valuable data as it's a very large file!
2  Sometimes it would install the same  update for MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials)
3  There's also a couple of other types that installed more than once.

4  I'm also missing update-  KB3072310 It's a (.NET Ver 4.5.2) that failed to install- 11/12/15

Something else that may be relevant is-  I was having a lot of problems where, every I installed an Internet Explorer update my whole system would crash!  Then I would have to use SR in safe mode to get it working again!  After a few bad installs of IE updates, with the same result, I decided not to do them again! I understand that microsoft made it a condition, we can only update with that mongrel browser!

After my old HP C700 crashed for the last time refusing to power-up!  (I really liked using it!)
I scored this old HP Presario DV5 as a wreck from a friend, it was her daughters, so who knows what was mucked around with, without any guidance or brains so to speak!

Apparently, as a result of all of my searching for fixes etc, I've seen a lot of advice that was applicable to Vista and 7 only, but not including prior or later versions.  Even though they are very different systems, it seems they may have some programing similarities?

I still have my suspicions about my main problems as being, the sequence of update installs, but I could be way off the mark?
I can email my update history (Word doc) to you or post it here if you think it may assist?

I've also tried installing  SURT a couple of as well as a few missing updates, but when I tried the installation of those file I just sat there searching for updates.  Other times it would do the same again and then pop a message the the update didn't apply to my system or words to that effect!
In retrospect, I probably should have brought this to your attention earlier?
I hope some of this saga of info is of some value to you?

Thanks again for providing your valuable time and knowledge to assist me!

Changing topic-  I found a small leak where poly pipe was above ground, but I still haven't found the more substantial leak!
It seems yet another mystery to add to my unending list!
It's no wonder that I'm going around the twist! (Aussie slang for screwed up!)
Gee's, it seems I'm a poet, but didn't know it!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Perhaps when you first got the DV5 you should have factory reset it but that would have meant starting from scratch with the updates, but at least you would have been using a machine as out of the box.

The list of updates would be meaningless, so no need to post those.

When an update continually downloads, it's because it failed to install the last time around.

"round the twist" or "round the bend" is also used in the UK and hope you eventually find that leak.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
See if you can manually install this update and then try a manual check for updates.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53206

I've read where that speeded up the scan in Vista, but what works for one or some may not work for all.

Offline Pepo

• View Profile
Perhaps when you first got the DV5 you should have factory reset it but that would have meant starting from scratch with the updates, but at least you would have been using a machine as out of the box.

When an update continually downloads, it's because it failed to install the last time around.

When I initially resurrected it, everything seemed to be working very well, even updating.

Regarding Updates downloading repeatedly-  Why would they be downloaded again if they were already installed?  I can understand it happening, if they were there but not installed before searching for updates again, but it seems rather strange to download and reinstall them again when they're already installed?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The install can be corrupt and if Windows senses they aren't fully installed then they will be offered again.

Some Vista users had this problem when installing SP2.

Have you tried that KB download as I've suggested ?

Offline Pepo

• View Profile
See if you can manually install this update and then try a manual check for updates.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53206

I've read where that speeded up the scan in Vista, but what works for one or some may not work for all.

I installed that update (KB3168965) in July last year.
Seems it hasn't helped much, I even left It searching for 2 and 3 days at a time with no success.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Ah well....

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Have you been able to contact your friend yet to use WSUS ?

Offline Pepo

• View Profile
Have you been able to contact your friend yet to use WSUS ?

Just found out he's not on the unlimited plan yet, but should be soon.
I will keep you updated! hee hee
Thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Okay.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
This is the link for the steps to resolve that Sidebar error you are getting in the sfc /scannow, although it relates to a different KB.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-performance/issues-with-windows-sidebar-and-windows-update/c413654b-ca56-4592-a663-e4b92dcaa97c

When done, run another sfc /scannow to see if it still snags it.