Author Topic: Folders returning to default orders & Firefox doesn't remain as default browser  (Read 11859 times)

Offline Neon Henchman

• View Profile
    • YouTube Channel (Vraiment Français)
Hello, I've used the "Tweaking.com - Windows Repair" tool to originally fix a problem with broken WMI.  While that problem has been fixed, I've gotten new problems from using the tool.

Specs: I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64-bit.
My default browser is Firefox.
The version of the Windows Repair tool must be the one most up to date by the time I used it in December 15-16, V.3.9.19, and I've followed all of the instructions it displayed.

1. The folders always remain in their default state; whenever I resize the Windows Explorer window, and when I change the display and order of the folders to my liking, they always revert back to their default state, meaning I can't order them by File Type in Details-View for instance.

2. Firefox always asks me to set it as default, despite how many times I confirm it.  It gets grating.

Do I have to use the Registry backup?  Or should I reuse V.3.9.21?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I'm not quite sure what you mean by the folder problem.

In Windows Explorer when I click on the Documents folder, Arrange gives me the options of  Folder, Author, Date Modified, Tag, Type and Name.

As for Firefox, while I don't know what Windows Repair could have done to that unless it has nailed IE as the default browser, I would uninstall/reinstall Firefox.

Using the Registry Restore would just give you back the WMI problems, but you can do that then run a command prompt as an administrator and enter these commands for a specific WMI fix.

winmgmt /standalonehost

net stop winmgmt

winmgmt /resetrepository

net start winmgmt

You may get a message to say that is already started.

Enter shutdown /r /t 00 to effect and immediate reboot.

Offline parkd1

• View Profile
New version just came out. Now up to verion 3.9.22.

Offline Neon Henchman

• View Profile
I've used Version 3.9.22, but I still have odd problems.

The folder problem is that the system doesn't save the way I arranged my folders to my liking, like sorting by File Type and collumn sizes, plus the Windows Explorer window size.  I've attached 2 examples.  Plus, in Safe Mode, I recall the folder setups working right, so the problem seem to only arise in Normal Mode.

Firefox now remembers whenever I set it as default, so at least that's ok for now.

I would also add that putting videos and new folders in my cringely-named cellphone sort of produces weird audio files from my music folders, but when replugging it back, there's the videos I've put on it like normal.

My computer just acts really odd after using the program, still functionnal, but odd, and it's kind of grating.

As for the Command Prompt, I must say I'm no good at all with these touchy stuff, I've actually been suggested this method, but it's hence why I resorted to Tweaking.com.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 04:51:01 am by Neon Henchman, Reason: Precising that it didn\'t ruin vital parts of Windows »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I'd still stand by my original suggestion of using the registry restore and then running those cmds.

I've tried them on my Win 10 even though I don't have that problem and there's been no adverse effects and you'd still have the registry back up to fall back on.

I'll email Shane about your problem but not sure when I'll get a reply.

Offline Neon Henchman

• View Profile
By the way, here's what I meant when putting videos in my cellphone sorts of make weird audio files.

I would convert videos (converting saves space for the most part) from the hard drive to said cellphone's MiniSD Card through the MiniUSB cable, but it would come out as audio files from Panorama Cotton's OST and some game's files; these audio files are perfectly readable I might add, and reloading the page makes them disappear.  If I were to pull out, then replug the cord, the video files would turn out just fine and readable in the device.

Plus, if I would drag a whole folder instead of the individual video files, it'd be impossible to convert the videos; the folder itself also come out as an audio file, and Windows Explorer makes an error that it has to either ignore or stop the conversion of the videos.  Again replugging the cable, the folder would turn out fine, and then I can drag the video files inside it and convert them.

If it matters, the cellphone I use is a Samsung Galaxy S3

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I haven't had any response from Shane yet regarding your problem but have you done as I've suggested by restoring to prior the first run of WR and then use the commands to repair the WMI ?

Offline Neon Henchman

• View Profile
When I said I was no good with command prompts, it's because I don't know how to use them; I enter it as you've written it, but it just keeps saying I've entered it wrong.

I could wait for a response from Shane in the meantime, but if he also says to use the Registry backup, then I'd have to learn how to use the prompts.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
To run a Command Prompt as an admin in Win 7, go Start - type cmd - right click on cmd and select Run as administrator - accept the UAC then type each cmd or you could copy & paste each cmd to the cmd prompt then press enter.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
which repair is doing it is the question. im going to test this on my machine i can see how annoying something like that can be.
Julian

Offline Neon Henchman

• View Profile
I followed all of the optionnal steps, like the "Check Disk", but as for the Repair options at the very end, like "Reset WMI" and "Repair Hosts File", I'm pretty sure I went with all of the options, except for the Windows 8 repairs and Recycle Bin of all Drives.

I would like to point my finger though at "Set Windows Services To Default Startup".

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
weird i don't get my folder options changed at all or any of my icon sizes they stay the same.
firefox is no longer default but that is normal.
Julian

Offline Neon Henchman

• View Profile
Welp I've found another problem, my Adobe products (notably Photoshop CS6 and Premiere Pro CS5), wouldn't launch like normal because of [Error: 16], and after having followed some instructions, one of which is to Run as Administrator, Photoshop seems to work like normal, but trying to run Premiere Pro without administrator rights lets me get to the editing screen for a bit, to then produce this: [Error: 213:8].

I'm currently using Adobe's Licensing Recorery Tool to fix Premiere Pro.

It may be a coincidence that it happens after using Tweaking.com, after using these tools for 4 years, but... heh, I kinda have my doubts.

Offline Neon Henchman

• View Profile
Re: Windows Repair Tool makes a bunch of problems
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2017, 03:07:05 pm »
Sorry for the double post, but I've bit my knuckles and decided to restore the first Registry backup with the broken WMI, although there was some stuff I had to reinstall annoyingly enough.  I then followed Boggin's instructions:

Using the Registry Restore would just give you back the WMI problems, but you can do that then run a command prompt as an administrator and enter these commands for a specific WMI fix.

winmgmt /standalonehost

net stop winmgmt

winmgmt /resetrepository

net start winmgmt

You may get a message to say that is already started.

Enter shutdown /r /t 00 to effect and immediate reboot.
[/shadow]

Yeah I tried that, and...
I still have broken WMI.  I even used Tweaking.com and only repaired the WMI, but that didn't do any good either.  Plus, I still have a broken Premiere Pro.

I'm completely boned, I've wasted week-ends on this stupid thing, and either way, I have horrible defects that annoy me.  I might as well just revert back to the Registries where I have broken folders, at least I could work on Word.

Edit: Well the folder problem seems ""OK"", for now, it sort of fixed itself after I restored the "Good WMI" registries.  But now, how do I fix Error 0x80004005 ?  Stuff online always speaks of network issues, but I just can't set stars and genres on music anymore.
I can't fix a problem without getting another, it's maddening, and I'm even scared of ever using Tweaking.com (Windows Repair) at this point.

Edit 2: I've reused the tool afterall, but I still have Error 0x80004005, and it seems that video files thumbnails are broken, not displaying at all.  I can't use the tool anymore, and I've been using the latest update.  I decided to System Restore back to where I have the broken folders.

Edit 3: So apparently the solution to my Folder resetting was incredibly simple; make a Registry backup, and reload it immediatly after.  I did a Power Reset, and it remained mostly functionnal, however there's still the cellphone producing audio files.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 04:48:16 am by Neon Henchman »

Offline Neon Henchman

• View Profile
Sorry for bumping like this, but after a week, I still have the problems with the cellphone producing audio files, and I kind of don't want to let the thread die.

Now though, my idea is to reinstall/repair the vanilla Windows Codecs, so is there any way I can do that?  I've been looking around teh Microsoft website, but I found nothing.

I must note though that I'll never use the Tweaking.com - Windows Repair tool ever again, that thing has just been scarring my computer since the start.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
A lot of people opt to use the K-Lite Codec Pack when they have problems with Windows.

https://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

However, I have this article for WMP etc. problems you could have a look at if you want to persevere with Windows.

http://www.free-codecs.com/microsoft_fix_it_download.htm