Author Topic: will only reboot to safe mode  (Read 5383 times)

Offline Davie-Dave

• View Profile
will only reboot to safe mode
« on: February 02, 2017, 08:07:14 pm »
Hello Shane, Boggin, Julian and everyone,
   First off, thank you for your useful utility. I've been using Tweaking.com for a couple of years on my i7 running Windows 7 (version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 build 7601) with good result.
   I recently downloaded version 3.9.23 and ran Tweaking.com as per the instructions (starting with the power reset, all the way to repairs, all in safe mode). When I ran the repairs the second time, as recommended, I unchecked the shut-down option so that I could see any logged results.
   When I tried to reboot I was only able to reboot in Safe mode and when I tried to run a System Restore to return my system to the pre-maintenance state which although a little buggy would, never the less, let me boot to Windows normally, the system restore failed.
   Finally, before taking the drastic (!) measure of paying a professional to look at it, I got the idea of trying the "Repair Windows" option on my original Windows 7 factory installation disk. When I did that it told me that Windows had discovered problems with the Startup files and would I like to repair them?
   So after running Tweaking.com version 3.9.23 twice I had to use the repair utility on my Windows factory disk in order to boot normally. I checked the repair log and didn't find, to my inexperienced eye, any red flags.
   Has this happened with anybody else that you know of? Do you have any suggestions?
   I have really enjoyed the software that you have designed (Tweaking.com) to the point where I would like to make a donation because it has be reassuring to have a utility that would check my system, do repairs, and keep Windows running well, as it has.
   Now, I would be nervous to run Tweaking.com in its current version because I don't want to be stuck in Safe Mode and having to resort to pulling out the Windows 7 installation disk.
   Do you have any suggestions? Should I run an older version of Tweaking.com - Windows Repair?
   Thanks again for your very cool utility. Its amazing that there are people out there, like you, who will spend their time helping to improve the quality of life for others.
All the best,
Dave

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: will only reboot to safe mode
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 12:43:47 am »
If you get stuck in Safe Mode again, run a command prompt as an administrator and enter -

bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot

exit

then restart, but I'll report this to Shane.

Offline Davie-Dave

• View Profile
Re: will only reboot to safe mode
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 01:07:20 pm »
Thank you very much. It's odd that that when running Tweaking.com in the past,  but not in Safe Mode, this never happened but I will follow direction and try Safe Mode again
and use the command prompt that you suggested if needed.
Thanks again,
Dave