Author Topic: Repair  (Read 21213 times)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Repair
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2017, 09:19:49 am »
Well at least it seems to know what is wrong, but was worth a shot.

Is the system image still on the drawing board ?

Offline erlingstar

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2017, 07:41:14 am »
Well, I can't restore my C: backup (those damn .exe files not working)

Unless you can produce som miracle cure, I think I will bite the rug and reinstall the Windows 10 and start reinstalling my other programs again.
It is just  rather timeconsuming, to say the least.

Brgds and thanks for your kind assistance.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2017, 07:48:28 am »
Don't have any other suggestions - it's certainly been a hair puller with not being able to use the cmd prompt.

Yours looks like the final solution - will you be using the latest ISO which includes the 1607 AU ?

Offline erlingstar

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2017, 05:42:39 am »
I am a bit tired of the situation. I decided to reinstall W10 and keep my files. But then I was told, I could only do this if I was logged in as admin. I am the only user and when I look in Windows it confirms that I am admin. Well, even if I had logged in with my MS-account, nevertheless then I had to give my password, which I did, - however it was doomed wrong. It is THE password which I have in my password file. So here we are, - I can't re-install bloody Windows. ... and there is no human being to get hold of in MS, why I don't know where to get help. A hacker maybe?- joke, unfortunately I don't know any.
Brgds

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2017, 08:34:50 am »
You can turn off the UAC by going to All Control Panel Items - User Accounts - Change User Account Control - this could be tricky because you then have to accept the UAC.

If you get past that then slide the slider to the bottom - OK and then see what you can do.

Are you able to back up your personal stuff to do a custom install ?

It means more work, but you're at a dead end at the moment.

Have you tried using msconfig to get into Safe Mode ?

Go Start - type msconfig and press enter.

Under the Boot tab check the box for Safe boot and then the one for Network - Apply - OK then Restart.

Sometimes programs can work in Safe Mode when not in normal mode and hopefully you may be able to use the cmd  prompt admin where you don't need to accept the UAC.

If you can get to there, see if you can run a sfc /scannow

Offline erlingstar

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2017, 01:33:17 am »
Next chapter in a (never ending?) story.
Well I finally got in. I started reinstallation of Windows 10 with the option of keeping my private files. The pc started working, and working and working. The little wheel kept turning and turning, - untill after 20 hours I stopped it this morning. Message: roll back changes. And that is what it did. Now it works, like it did before, i.e. with all the same problems, howver, I got a service message from MS saying in my translation:"Please change your MS account in order to allow other apps to start on this unit".
Well, this was new and I logged into my MS account in order to change this, however I could not find anything which led to places where I could change anything of this kind.
Have to leave now for my dentist.
Brgds

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2017, 03:49:54 am »
When I was manually updating to the August Update I would get the never ending busy wheel and I would stop and restart it until I got a message that it was trying to recover the install or something or other until I figured it was my Norton Security getting in the way.

It may be best to back up your personal stuff and select keep nothing to see if that progresses.

I don't have a MS account or do I use any of the apps so not sure about that procedure - does it want you to create a new MS account ?

BTW - Good luck at the Dentists :)

Offline erlingstar

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2017, 11:21:47 am »
As we say in Denmark(not very optimistic!) "a mishap seldom comes alone!
Well, it became rather expensive at the dentist http://www.tweaking.com/forums/Smileys/smillhey/undecided.png
Concerning Windows. i tried once more to reinstall. Everything went fine, it came up to 100%, it started with the (boot) menu as usual, but that's where it went wrong, as the rest never came up. Maybe I should try once more and close my Bullguard security in the meantime.
I am in the process of copying my files. I cannot back them up with my backup programme because of the damn .exe-files not working.
When and if I choose to install Windows without my files, I wonder if Windows format my C:. I have scanned the pc again today for viruses and malware, but I am afraid some harmful waste could remain on the drive.
The service message from MS was like this (my translation): Correct your MS account to apps on other units in order to start apps and continue your experiences on this PC.    It means nothing to me. When I log on my MS acccount the only thing I can see is that MS want me to syncronize with possible other units such as Xbox, phones etc.. However, I get suspicious, when I am having problems with apps and their .exe files.
well, a long song from me. Don't get bored too much. Brgds

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2017, 01:19:56 pm »
In the UK when we see something we don't understand, we used to say, "It's all Greek to me" - just the same as that MS message is to me :)

Do you use any of those apps it wants you to synchronize with - haven't a clue about that either :)

You could format the drive yourself prior to the reinstall.

One good thing about Win 10 now is that it will self activate.

Offline erlingstar

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2017, 01:44:52 pm »
I am sorry, I don't understand. If I format the C:, how can Windows or part of it remain in order that I can install it? How does self activate function?

For some odd reason, my C: is a dynamic drive, which in many ways is unpractical. When formatting, is it possible to change it to a "normal" drive? If so, how?

Brgds

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2017, 01:53:43 pm »
sticky mess changing disks almost guarantee you will lose files that are not backed up because changing disk from dynamic will wipe that whole partition clean.
Julian

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2017, 01:59:22 pm »
You can convert the disk to basic without losing data with this EaseUS program - http://www.partition-tool.com/resource/change-dynamic-disk-to-basic.htm

Win 10 is digitally activated and once it has been previously installed on your machine then it will pick up that fingerprint of your hardware.

However, you could just install into that partition without a format.

Offline erlingstar

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2017, 02:41:27 pm »
In fact I have Easeus partition Master, however I can't make that .exe file work.

It is pure luck that my Thunderbird works as well as Edge. Otherwise I couldn't have bothered you with all my problems.

When I have finished copying my files, I will try reinstall again one way or the other. In any case I will have to reinstall my programs, which is OK, because I have for a long time wanted to clean up and delete some programs.

Will keep you posted.

Brgds

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2017, 02:42:43 pm »
Okay - good luck :)

Offline erlingstar

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2017, 04:36:43 am »
Nothing really worked for a long time. When I had given up, I inserted the W10 rescue disk once more and read a book. After about 30 minutes (!!!)it suddenly reacted, and from then on everything worked just fine. I reinstalled and updated. All my files were preserved. I only have to install my programs, which, however, is rather time consuming.

I am halfway through now and all my backed up passwords, mail and favourites are in place. Life looks good.

A lesson learned: Be very patient, when you have a rescue disc! - nothing may happen for a long time!

Brgds

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2017, 07:26:23 am »
That's good news and glad to see that you've finally got it sorted.