Author Topic: Uninstalled program still appears in AVG PC Tuneup  (Read 7592 times)

Offline George

• View Profile
Uninstalled program still appears in AVG PC Tuneup
« on: February 01, 2017, 10:35:12 pm »
Hi,

I inadvertently installed Orange Defender, as a disguised ‘Additional offer’. When I noticed it, immediately uninstalled with a thorough uninstaller. Yet, it still appears among the Startup and background programs, in AVG PC Tuneup; can even be toggled sleeping/awaken.

I checked all places with all searches for leftover files or register keys, couldn’t find any. I’m anxious as I run other virus / malware protections, anything from another defender may cause severe issues. How to find what AVG PC Tuneup detects so that I can get rid of it?

Thanks a lot.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Uninstalled program still appears in AVG PC Tuneup
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 01:21:49 am »
Depending upon how long it is since you installed it, you could use your restore points back to before it was installed.

Check the box to show more restore points then when you select one, check the box to Scan for affected programs and make a list of anything that will need to be reinstalled.

There are two programs designed to root out PuPs and they are AdwCleaner and Junkware Removal Tool (JRT).

Read the instructions for using AdwCleaner.

The download link for JRT can be found lower down the page in https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

While they should be sufficient to remove any residue, you can also run a scan with FreeFixer which can find otherwise difficult to remove residue.

http://www.freefixer.com/

Create a restore point before using this program to remove anything should you remove a wrong item, but if in doubt, then leave it.

Offline George

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 02:12:10 am »
I don't know why, I could see the latest restore point only which was made after I got this filth.
I'm going to try the tools that you mentioned. Thank you very much.

Offline George

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 10:52:05 pm »
I've tried all thee tools that you recommended, couldn't find anything that may be related to Orange Defender. I can only imagine that some trace stuck within AVG PC Tuneup itself, that's why it 'detects'.

May I ask about two other programs that AVG PC Tuneup shows and I couldn't find anywhere what they are?
f244aca-5c80-4776-a9af-fda1b9f7febf and Optimize Start Menu Cache. What are these, do I need them, if not how to get rid of them?

Many thanks.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 12:30:41 am »
I can't find anything on that first key but there's a little info about the Optimize Start Menu Cache in this article -

http://greatis.com/blog/not-a-virus/administration-tools/what-is-optimize-start-menu-cache-files.htm

My advice would be that if it isn't causing any problems then to just leave it.

There could still be some residue left from Orange Defender - this article will show you where to find those in the registry, but create a restore point first before making any changes.

http://un-install.info/185757/uninstall-orange-defender-antivirus.html
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 12:35:34 am by Boggin »

Offline George

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 06:51:08 am »
The article about Orange Defender calls for deleting two registry items, and two files. Three, I had deleted earlier, one registry key now. Still Orange Defender is shown in AVG PC Tuneup. I'm afraid we have to leave it at that.

Many thanks for all your help.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 08:23:24 am »
Sorry it wasn't more.