Author Topic: (Solved) Keyboard is not recognized, cannot login  (Read 13692 times)

Offline Lady

• View Profile
(Solved) Keyboard is not recognized, cannot login
« on: February 13, 2017, 08:27:31 am »
My desktop pc doesn't recognize my keyboard anymore. Cannot login. Tested keyboard on laptop, no problem. Tried an old keyboard, nothing. Mouse works. Both are plugged in by USB cables. Tried different ports. Please help.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 11:27:13 am by Lady »
To Fear no guarantees are ever strong enough.
To Love none are necessary.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Keyboard is not recognized, cannot login
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 08:44:24 am »
If you have a PS2 port on your computer then you can buy an USB to PS2 converter, switch the computer off, plug the keyboard in and then switch on for Windows to load the drivers and then you can troubleshoot the keyboard drivers.

As the mouse works in USB then it isn't likely to be your motherboard.

Offline Lady

• View Profile
Re: Keyboard is not recognized, cannot login
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am »
I don't have a PS2 port and my keyboard has a usb connector, not a PS2 plug, if that is the right word. What now? I can buy that converter and borrow a keyboard with a PS2 plug. Is that an idea? Or are there converters for usb connector to ps2 plug? So that I can get access through  2 converters? Or: can I have a PS2 port built in?

« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 10:36:29 am by Lady »

Offline Lady

• View Profile
Re: (Solved) Keyboard is not recognized, cannot login
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 11:54:11 am »
Problem is solved!! Someone told me to do a reboot in Safe Mode and do a system restore. Luckily there was an automated system restore point from this morning, so I didn't have to think about changes in between. Phewwww, what a relief!

I can only guess what happened. In case anybody is interested, this is what I did today. This afternoon I installed an update for AnyVideoConverter and I had a funny feeling about it. Just too much was going on. So to get possible malware out I ran AdwCleaner. I had run AC this morning and it removed a registry key of a program I uninstalled the other day, so that was alright. So I knew that the registry keys AC came up with had to be of something today. I had also re-installed ESET online scanner and HitmanPro (don't ask, too long a story) but those are trusted programs. So the keys AC found had to come from this update. I let AC clean them and there was the reboot and then my keyboard was dead. So something happened to its drivers. Anybody for a solid explanation?

Thank you, Boggin, for your quick response. I was very stressed out from it.

Is there something I must do to check drivers or ports or anything? When I hooked everything up and opened several programs I had a freeze. Maybe the pc is a bit upset too. :)

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 12:34:36 pm »
AnyVideoConverter contains "Bundleware", from memory Open Candy, perhaps that is what AdwCleaner picked up?

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 02:48:46 pm »
Hey Samson, I just ran the anyvideoconverter site and download thru VirusTotal and they came out fine. I kind of remember when updating anyaudioconverter in the past that MBAM picked out the OpenCandy there but I just downloaded anyaudioconverter on my laptop and only Unchecky picked out something unwanted (sorry, already forgot what). I'm always a bit careful with these two programs but in the meantime have used them for years.

And would an OpenCandy or something similar mess with my keyboard drivers?

Oh, I just found out I had two different versions of the same anyvideoconverter. Uninstalled one. Maybe they conflicted during the update? I heard that updates can corrupt drivers.

Anyway, I'm SO glad I can type to you!  :cheesy:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 03:44:56 pm »
The 6 pinned PS2 sockets could be on the back.

IBM coloured them purple for the keyboard and a greenish one (Teal) for the mouse.

The converter would be to plug the usb plug into one end and the PS2 bit into the socket.

As the keyboard didn't work, how did you manage to boot into safe mode ?

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 05:25:25 am »
In my post about using the converter I got all confused from the stress, but I know what the PS ports look like, I had them on my previous desktop and was sorry they weren't on this one as it cost me 2 usb ports.

On the start screen where I had to log in I clicked with my mouse on the button down to the right to do a reboot and pressed F8. Apparently the keyboard works again in Safe Mode. That was my next question to you guys. How is that possible when the keyboard drivers are deleted or distorted?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 06:59:37 am »
When something works in Safe Mode but not in normal mode, it's usually because of a conflict with something else that is installed on the computer that wouldn't be loaded in Safe Mode.

However, while booting up into Safe Mode to troubleshoot - that's a Catch 22 when the keyboard doesn't work.

Still not sure what button you mean you clicked on and if the keyboard wasn't working, how did the F8 key work ?

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 09:30:03 am »
I understand it's tricky when the keyboard doesn't work in Safe Mode but that person assured me it would and it did. So I cannot tell you why F8 worked. I didn't have any other option left but re-install....  So I dived.  :cheesy: Sometimes brave people get karma points.   :wink:

I'm attaching a picture of the start page, not mine, just one I plucked from the net. It's the red button in the down right corner. If you click on the circle the pc shuts down. More options under the arrow. I don't know the exact English words but you'll get it. With the mouse then you can select shutting down or reboot and another one or two, don't remember. If only the keyboard works you can get to the red button to shut down by using the tab key. I guess it's healthier for the pc to shut down like this than pressing the power button on the case. I hope that was clear.

Don't tell me I just told YOU something you didn't know.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 04:40:45 am by Lady »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 09:41:57 am »
No - it's just sometimes I need a reminder with what you get when you use a login password - I don't use one so I don't get that splash screen.

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 09:36:02 am »
Still wanting to know what happened, I came across this from someone whose keyboard wasn't recognized either and if I understand correctly they rebooted in Safe Mode as well. And interestingly I have a Microsoft keyboard too.

This was the question:

I am currently working with Falcon Techs on a few issues with my Falcon.  It is running Win7 x64 and has lost the driver(s) for the Microsoft Natural Keyboard 4000 (USB).  We keep ending up with a can't find drivers error.
We have cleaned out the registry, device manager, and uninstalled Intellipoint.  When you look for drivers at Microsoft the only offering is Intellipoint.  However, I suspect the actual driver is located in Win7 and not Intellipoint.

This was the solution:

The drivers were in fact still within Win7 but Win7 refused to see them.  By rebooting into windows in the special menu (from F8 menu) that disables Windows from dealing with drivers' certificates, Windows was then able to see the driver(s) already stored in the Win kbd drivers and reinstalll them. Intellitype was already reinstalled, but it appears to have not contained the driver(s). 

https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/27667987/Keyboard-lost-drivers.html#answer37830755

I don't understand all of this but does this help you in understanding why my keyboard worked in Safe Mode?

I also looked at the Windows system logfiles of that moment. Two things went wrong as I was doing things too fast: the update of AnyVideoConverter and the re-installation of ESET, which caused at least one application hang. Could that have affected my keyboard drivers?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 02:07:22 pm »
No - I was wondering how you managed to boot into safe mode when the keyboard didn't work.

This won't help you if the keyboard doesn't work but you can check which drivers Windows has in the Store for each device.

Go to Device Manager/View/Show hidden drivers - expand whichever adapter you want to check - right click on it and select Update Driver Software - Browse your computer - Let me pick....

In the window that pops up will display the drivers and their dates where more than one has been installed at some point in time.

Sometimes you may get a different window where you need to scroll down for the type of device you are working on.

In the window that has the drivers, you would click on your choice then on Next where it will install.

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 03:21:53 am »
I'm afraid I don't dare touch any drivers right now.

I just want to know, if possible, what caused my drivers to not be recognized. See my last paragraph in my previous post.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 03:37:17 am »
If ESET is your antivirus program then any AV program can cause problems - I'm not familiar with AnyVideoConverter.

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2017, 03:54:41 am »
Okay, I guess it will remain a mystery then. I'll let it go and pray this will never happen to me again.

Thank you, Boggin.