Author Topic: Stopping W7 from asking "Allow Program Execution" on every program  (Read 6973 times)

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
Howdy,

I have certain programs that I totally trust (like irfanview, and a few other utilities) that I would like to add to some kind of a list that says "don't ssk for these programs."    I have read a lot about people saying they can do this but the only thing I have come up isth is MS APPLICATION COMPATIBILITY MANAGEMENT which need SQL server and does not clearly say it can do this.

There must be some registry tweak or some place I can put program excluded from this security question.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Stopping W7 from asking "Allow Program Execution" on every program
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 09:40:26 am »
It's the User Account Control.

This article will show you how to change its levels - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd759070(v=ws.11).aspx

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 01:09:41 pm »
Thanks, Boggin.
But, here is the problem.
Yes, your link tells me how to turn UAC off, BUT that is dangerous as it will be off for all programs.
Here is something I found called UAC Pass which selectively starts programs --- very, very neat:
UAC Pass:  https://www.raymond.cc/blog/task-scheduler-bypass-uac-prompt/#comment-816678
UAC is still on, but UAC Pass executes that particular program without giving you the prompt.
HOWEVER, if you execute a program by extension association, UAC Pass is not called and you are still prompted; so, UAC Pass solves half the problem --- very neatly, I will add.
Any further suggestions?  There has to be somewhere in the registry that program names could be put that need no prompting.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 02:44:40 pm »
There are lower levels of UAC you could try but it is there to protect your computer.

I just accept the UAC as being part of running Windows and isn't a problem for me.

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 03:05:40 pm »
OK.  Glad that UAC works for you, Boggin.
However, for me, it an enrmous waste fo time; every time I want to look at a picture it takes me 5 seconds over normal.
But, I notice some programs (like VLC media player are not blocked by UAC.  How is that.  I do not remember doing anything special for VLC.  There are some others also.  How can I get other programs to work the way VLC works?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 03:15:04 pm »
The programs that I boot up would normally have an effect on the system, such as the free version of MBAM and is one of the default settings when UAC is set to default.

But 5 seconds - is life really that short to wait ?

I have my laptops set to check DVD and USB drives before the HDD and the boot menu policy set to legacy in my Win 10 so that I can use the F keys on boot as I did in Win 7.

It may add some time to the boot time but it gives me what I need should I have to recover a machine that won't boot.

It's what it is.

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 04:33:47 am »
Well, thanks for your thoughts Boggin.
But, not a solution for me.
5 seconds.  Did you flunk math, Boggin?
I am not trying to insult you, but how else can I say this:
Going through 500 (normal job --- sometimes 1,000) photos per job makes each job 2,500 seconds longer which means about 40 minutes longer.  40 wasted minutes.  It adds up.

So, I still need a solution. :artist:

Interesting that you are on W10 as I would  not touch that if you paid me to use it.
I am not an MS fan; MS the biggest mistake IBM and the public ever made except that without MS (a hog and a thief run by dumb obsessive-compulsive. know-it-all big-government guys) we prolly would not have Apple.  :)

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 04:40:29 am »
BTW, Boggin, do you have any idea why VLC media player bypasses UAC?
I have not done anything special to UAC and yet it never asks permission to execute when called by EXT.
Thanks in advance. :undecided:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 04:50:57 am »
I suppose it will add up when you're doing that many.

As for VLC - don't know but I'll ask to see if someone else can help with the UAC problem.

Offline jpm

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 06:48:41 am »
Basically - you need to create a scheduled task with admin privileges and then create a shortcut to that task.  VLC may be doing that. I don;t know that for sure, but maybe. Here is how.
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/run-uac-restricted-programs-without-the-uac-prompt/