Author Topic: (SOLVED) Can't start Windows Management Instrumentation service on Windows 7  (Read 13734 times)

Offline Cell

• View Profile
I'm getting error "1083: The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service" when i try to start it. How do I fix this?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 07:33:06 am by Cell »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Can't start Windows Management Instrumentation service on Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 03:55:14 pm »
Download the Windows Repair program at www.tweaking.com and run the repairs - Repair #5 repairs the WMI.

Offline Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 04:19:09 am »
For some reason Combofix changed the path to the executable from "C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k winmgmt" to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs",
downloading the repair tool and running it fixed the WMI problems but I wonder why Combofix does that?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 04:23:52 am by Cell »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 06:28:08 am »
I don't know - you would have to take that up with them, but continued use could cause the same problem.

I occasionally use the free version of MBAM for any additional scans which doesn't cause any problems.

I think it was a couple of years back that I ran a scan with Combofix and it took out a system file for which there were a number of complaints on their forum.

Fortunately because I create regular system images, I was able to restore my system.

I once read that Combofix should be used under supervision - usually the supervision of an antimalware helper, probably because of its aggressiveness.

It would be my advice to stop using it.