Author Topic: Question about Net Framework  (Read 6101 times)

Offline herb

• View Profile
Question about Net Framework
« on: March 31, 2017, 08:09:44 pm »
Secunia PSI says I need to update Net Framework but when I click on the link to do that it takes me to a Microsoft webpage that shows many different Net Frameworks , my computer shows Net framework 4.6.1 , does that mean I need 4.6.2 for it to be updated ?

Thank you
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 08:12:09 pm by herb »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Net Framework
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 12:48:09 am »
I think 4.6.2 is still optional, otherwise you would have gotten it as a matter of course through Windows Update.

I've recently just manually downloaded 4.6.2 as I noticed I didn't have it on a Win 7 laptop.

I suppose if Secunia sees that you can have an updated version of anything you have, then it will snag it.

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 11:34:12 am »
Windows update doesn't show any Net Framework updates , only Secunia does and when i click to update it takes me to the page in the screenshot only .

« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 11:36:25 am by herb »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 01:36:18 pm »
This is where I downloaded it from for my Win 7 laptop - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=53345

Once you install that you will get further updates for it through Windows Update, but as I've said, it's optional.

Any updates you've had previously will have been for 4.6.1.

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 03:12:32 pm »
Thank you my friend , i decided to check out Secunia's forum and what they are saying is the below , this whole thing looks to be a mistake on Secunia's part .

I just scanned my Windows 8.1 System and PSI declared the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.x EOL. This is, in this case, wrong! Microsoft says in their Lifecycle Policy for .NET, that Frameworks that are part of the OS are treated as "Components" rather separate products, thus having the same Support Policy then the Host-OS. In my case, the embedded .NET 2 is part of the .NET 3.5 Operating System Component and thus still has support. Please adjust detection of PSI accordingly, so that Non-Pro-customers don't get frightened unnecessarily.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 03:16:02 pm »
Hmm... wonder why it was snagging that ?

You can still update to 4.6.2 if you want.

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 03:25:00 pm »
The response to the first Secunia post is shown below : I did download the Net framework 4.6.2 last night and checked PSI again and no change so i removed it.   I was able to stop Secunia's constant update message by adding the Net Framework to the ( ignore updates) option in Secunia and wait till Monday until they are able to fix this mistake.

I prefer to just wait for Windows update to let me know if i need something instead of installing it separately . Thanks for your continued and very much appreciated expertise my friend.

Hi,

You can easy explain this directly to Flexera through the PSI. In version 3, click on "Add Program" in the upper right corner of the detected programs list, fill in (if possible) all the fields and your request in the additional info box.
This works and is the fastest way; I have done it this way a few times and even if my request didn't concern a new program or a major update, they've always answered within 24 hs (as usual).

Hope this helps.