Author Topic: Windows Update Package did not Install Correctly-Two .dll Files are Mismatched  (Read 5295 times)

Offline uvbogden

• View Profile

My Windows 7 Pro SP1(x64)  laptop was slowing down so I did a chkdsk and no problems. I ran a SUR and it said there were no remaining errors. I then ran SFC and it said one file (nvd3dumx.dll) that's located at C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-Client-Drivers-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7601.17514.INF_nv_lh (a Windows Update Package).

Another similar file also had a hash mismatch, nvd3dumx.dll, but in a different folder: (From SFC) Hashes for file member \SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_nv_lh.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_4a5c7d78e486512b\nvd3dumx.dll do not match actual file [l:24{12}]"nvd3dumx.dll".

Both files are from a Windows Update Package: This component was referenced by [l:178{89}]"Microsoft-Windows-Client-Drivers-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7601.17514.INF_nv_lh".

This was also referenced: C:\\Windows\Servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-Client-Drivers-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7600.16385.mum
    <update description="nv_lh.inf" displayName="nv_lh.inf" name="INF_nv_lh" restart="required">
      <driver inf="nv_LH.inf" ranking="normal">
        <assemblyIdentity buildType="release" language="neutral" name="nv_lh.inf" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" type="driverUpdate" version="6.1.7600.16385" versionScope="nonSxS"/>         (I believe the nvd3dumx.dll is a file in NVIDIA Display Driver).

So the Package is supposedly in the Windows Folder on my laptop and it lists all the updates in the Package (maybe 30) but I don't know how to access the uncorrupted files I need as nowhere is a KBnumber mentioned. On my laptop in the folders given here I have a .cat and a .mum file for each of the types of folders containing nvd3dumx.dll, but I have and can find no program to open either file extension. I've tried using SUR to fix the corrupted updates, but it finds no errors and leaves the files hash mismatched and causing problems for my laptop. I also can find no such files or packages among the Installed Updates. I've searched Microsoft Update Catalog for the package and file I need, but it's not there.

Can anyone help me find uncorrupted and hash-matched files and a way to install them?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 04:37:16 pm by uvbogden »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
This forum no longer does Package replacement because of the way Win 10 was developing still in Beta form and it was impractical to try and keep up with all of the changes.

What I would suggest is that you register on the www.sysnative.com forum and open a thread in the Windows Update section.

There's a guy on there that I've seen will help you to replace those files.

Offline uvbogden

• View Profile
Thanks for your response and for the link--I'll give it a try. I'm very frustrated with Microsoft, they could have made this so much easier by making the Package Updates like other Windows Updates, with a KB number, explanatory article and package download. Since the file that's mismatched is part of the NVIDIA display driver I think I'll uninstall it and reinstall a fresh copy to see if that corrects the mismatch. If that doesn't work, I'll try your link--thanks again.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Let us know how you get on.