Author Topic: Reinstalling Virtual PC and Virtual XP  (Read 6504 times)

Offline rgm

• View Profile
Reinstalling Virtual PC and Virtual XP
« on: April 04, 2017, 09:35:46 am »
I had Virtual XP setup and running on my Windows 7 Professional computer.  I had to replace the c: hard drive and used my HP restore DVDs to do it.  I'm fairly certain I got Virtual XP up and running again, but I think I did it by copying a lot of system files and probably merging an old Reg file.  Then I did something that crashed Windows completely, and my only option was to do the factory reset; this time I used the virtual d: drives factory info to do it.  I decided I didn't want to merge registry files this time nor copy system files, in order to start with a better operating Windows!  However, I seem to be unable to get Virtual XP and Virtual PC up and running again.  I tried to install both, and my Programs and Features says Virtual XP is installed; but my previous .vcmx files say the virtual machine cannot be registered.  When I try to install the 64-bit version of Virtual PC's msu, it says, "This update is not applicable to your computer."  Do I need to uninstall Virtual XP and do Virtual PC first?

I've run a couple of the tests that sites give, and they say my computer can run virtual PC.  And I checked the Windows whatever the list is called, and it says virtual machines are enabled.  Do you have any idea how I can get Virtual XP running again?  I need it for my flatbed scanner and to run a 32-bit GIF Construction set without switching between this computer and my laptop.

Thanks,

Richard

Offline jpm

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
Re: Reinstalling Virtual PC and Virtual XP
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 02:10:10 pm »
Hmm..  I used that once or twice several years ago, so I'm no expert. However I found this > https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee681616(v=ws.10).aspx

It doesn't look like its as hard as you described. So maybe it is not the same thing, but it does indicate uninstalling the old version is best.

Another way you may go about it is to install xpmode
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8002
that executable will prompt you for the Microsoft VM (I think) but you dont need it, if that is giving you the issue. Install that, then get Vmware player http://www.vmware.com/products/player/playerpro-evaluation.html install that and do file>import>xpmode.

Offline rgm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 06:27:58 pm »
Well, that first page is the one I used (or similar) earlier.  When I try to run the Virtual PC, it says "This update is not applicable to your computer."  I uninstalled Virtual XP before reinstalling it.  It flashed something that I think it couldn't be installed or used or something on this computer, but it shows up in Programs and Features.  When I use the Vmware player, it wants an iso or an install disk; I tried using two W98 CDs I had, but it said it couldn't find the boot file.  When I install just the machine, it doesn't seem I can do anything with it.  And I can't find an "import" option for the Virtual XP, as you suggested.

Also, when I click one of the vmcx files (e.g., Windows XP Mode.vmcx), it says "Could not register the virtual machine," explaining, "The virtual machine could not be registered because the configuration file does not exist.  You should create a new configuration file for the virtual machine."

Since I'm fairly sure I had that file working before I had to reinstall, I must have had all the parts necessary somewhere in my backups.  I'm just not sure where to look.  Is the problem that it's missing from the Registry?  I guess I could load a backup Registry into Notepad and look for the settings I need — if I knew what they were!  Or is there a data file that would have that info?  As I mentioned before, with the previous reinstall onto the new drive, I copied a lot of things I don't want to do this time, so I must have copied the things that made my Virtual XP file work, I'm just not sure what parts to look for.

Do you have any idea why trying to install Virtual PC says it's incompatible with my computer, when it didn't used to be?

Offline rgm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 04:23:43 pm »
Well, after some suggestions on the Microsoft forum, I got a new version of Virtual XP running, but now it says it isn't validated, and the validation links (keys icon and star icon) don't work, the call in doesn't work, and you can no longer get to a person for XP.  So I decided to run Tweaking Repairs on it, rebooted it to Safe Mode and, not only did the Repairs not make it validatable, but now I can't get it out of Safe Mode.

(1) Any suggestions how to get it to think it is validated?  (It didn't have that problem before the reinstall.)

(2) How do I get it out of Safe Mode???  (I have used Restart, Shutdown with a manual Restart, F8 to use the system to make it Safe Mode to see if it would then reboot out of Safe Mode; nothing seems to help.)

Offline rgm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 03:04:16 pm »
I used System Repair to get out of Safe Mode.  Then I restored the registry backup from the Tweaking program.  Then I reinstalled things the Tweaking backup didn't back up.

But I still have the question: How do I get Virtual XP to show it is validated/activated.  The keys icon popped up 27 days to go today, so it's counting down each day until I won't be able to use it?  Is there something(s) I can just go into the Registry to change maybe?

Help!