Author Topic: Failed to connect to the System Event Notification​ Service service  (Read 13719 times)

Offline Caha

• View Profile
Hi. Since Monday, I receive the error "Failed to connect to the System Event Notification Service service" when I try to log on as a standard user my Windows 7 laptop. I've ran several antivirus/malware removal tools and have come up short. I've ran the Windows Repair twice (including Pre-Scan items), with no success. When I boot into Safe Mode I do not receive the error. The event logs show multiple errors including: "Distributed COM, Event ID 10016", "Service Control Manager, Event ID's 7001, 7023", "PRNPSvc Event ID 102". I'm ​not sure how to proceed. I didn't make any changes or  receive updates the day prior to getting this error. Any help is appreciated.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
What antivirus programs are you using ?

In Safe Mode they won't be loaded, so could be the cause of your error and using more than one active antivirus program can cause anomalous problems.

Are your Network adapter drivers up to date.

Generally you can ignore DCOM 10016 errors - I do.

Offline Caha

• View Profile
Bitdefender is the antivirus I use for real time scanning. I ran the Microsoft Malware removal tool yesterday. The counter during the scan indicated 8 issues, but listed none at completion. I also ran Malwarebytes and something else that I can't remember at the moment, which also came up with no issues.
The driver for the Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter, provides a certificate error when checking for updates. All other Network adapter drivers are up to date. I did netsh wlan stop hostednetwork and
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=disallow and was able to log on as a standard user without issue.
I'm not familiar with those commands, do you think that could be a permanent solution or just a temporary fix.
Thank you for your assistance

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter can cause problems but I've only ever known it to cause Internet connectivity problems before and I always run the mode=disallow cmd to turn it off.

I'd leave it off as you only need it if you're using a VPN

It's possible that when you log on that Windows checks the licence and if that was interfering with connectivity then I suppose that could invoke that error message - but glad you seem to have found the cause, although I don't know what caused the certificate error.

I assume your clock is showing the correct date and time ?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 06:49:29 am by Boggin »

Offline Caha

• View Profile
I do use a VPN for work, but it doesn't seem to affect using it. The time & date is correct. I tried to attach a photo of the driver error, but it wouldn't post. The error states that "Windows can't verify the publisher of the driver software".

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
If you are using Win 7 Home Premium you can use Option 2 or 3 in this article to suppress that message, but re-enable the Virtual adapter, right click on it and select Properties and check its status under the General tab.

https://www.petenetlive.com/KB/Article/0000245

You can see if there is another driver available for it, but first while in Properties click on the Driver tab and check the date of the one installed.

Right click again on it and select Update Driver Software - Browse my computer - Let me pick...

It may take you to its window or you may have to scroll down the list and click on Network.

If there is an alternate driver, click on that then on Next where it will install and check to see if the log in error returns.

Offline Caha

• View Profile
The Virtual Adapter is no longer listed in my devices for me to re-enable it.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Redo the hostednetwork mode=disallow cmd again but change disallow to allow

If there's just the one driver listed in the store then click on that and then on Next where it will reinstall it.

Offline Caha

• View Profile
The logging error returned after follow information the steps provided.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
So does your VPN still work with it set to disallow ?

Offline Caha

• View Profile
Yes, I was still able to connect. There was also a long reboot time with it re-enabled.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Set it to disallow again then.

I don't have an explanation as to why it's producing that error on log in unless it is as I've suggested - never come across it before, but as it's extending the boot time then it must be doing something.

It shouldn't auto connect.

Is there anything in msconfig under the Startup tab that could be invoking it ?

Go Start - type msconfig and press enter and check under the Startup tab.

If there's nothing apparent then click on the Services tab, check the box to Hide all Microsoft services and check in there.

Offline Caha

• View Profile
I don't see anything in either tabs in msconfig.

I agree that it's odd. To me especially since one day it was fine and the next day it wasn't without me making any type of changes or an update occurring.

I'll disable it again and hopefully I do not have any further issues.

Thank you again for your assistance.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
You could try your restore points to before it occurred to see if you can get back to the status quo.

Offline Caha

• View Profile
I tried to do that twice and the restore failed. I do not recall the error it gave. I've had a few other issues in the last few months , so I was thinking of starting fresh, but I don't have my installation disks.

Offline Caha

• View Profile
I should have created a restore point earlier when I got to a point of no issues, I performed the netsh wlan stop hostednetwork and
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=disallow commands, but am still having the log on error.

Offline Caha

• View Profile
I'm now unable to log on as an administrator. I receive the error " Your system is low on resources. You cannot log on as a new user. Please use an account that has already been logged on."

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Sometimes a restore will fail in normal mode because of an antivirus program blocking it.

The workaround for that is to try the restore in Safe Mode.

MS withdrew all of the Win 7 ISO downloads but in dealing with another problem on another forum, someone found this website, but I don't know if the Win 7 links still work - I used it to download an ISO for Win 10 1607 version.

http://windowsiso.net/

Hover over Win 7 in the top menu and select the Win 7 download, but if you are considering a clean or repair install on an OEM machine then you are going to need a product key.

If the COA sticker key is still readable then before you do the reinstall, go Start - type Slui 3 and enter that key which should return as activated and then it should accept that key during the install.

I don't know if those Win 7 ISOs include SP1 but it will need to for you to perform a repair install which doesn't affect your personal stuff or installed programs.

Select Save when you download the ISO and then you can use Windows own USB/DVD Burner Tool to create the bootable media of tour choice.

http://wudt.codeplex.com/

If the ISO download doesn't work then PM me your address with the version of Win 7 and I'll send you a couple of SP1 install disks.

I have the ISO for a 64 bit Pro version which with the eicfg file removed covers Starter to Pro and I have a Win 7 x32 bit Home Premium which I can also remove that file to create an universal install disk.

However, if you want to upgrade to Win 10 gratis, you can use the Assistive Technologies link - no one checks to see if you are eligible.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/accessibility/windows10upgrade

I think this will give you the 1607 14393.0 version as MS have pulled the 1703 update because it was causing problems for those with Bluetooth devices.

If you do decide to upgrade, create a system image onto external media first, although you should be able to roll back providing you do it within 30 days of the upgrade but the system image will be your fall back.

One other thing to do before you upgrade, go to your wireless adapter vendor and download and save the Win 7 driver to your Downloads folder.

The Realtek one that Win 10 put on mine is for March 2016 and it produces a graph like broken saw teeth in inSSIDer3, so I was able to reinstall the Win 7 one which works fine in Win 10.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I'm now unable to log on as an administrator. I receive the error " Your system is low on resources. You cannot log on as a new user. Please use an account that has already been logged on."

Can you do a power shutdown by pressing the power button for about 10 secs.

Remove all power sources then press and hold the power button for ~30 secs then reconnect the power source(s) and reboot.

That should clear the memory for you to log in normally.

Offline Caha

• View Profile
Thank you again for your assistance. I'm thinking that the problem wasn't actually fixed, when I was able to log on as a standard user without the error. As I was able to get to that point again & once I restarted a second one time, it reverted back to producing that error. I probably need to go the route of an upgrade or repair, if I can. I'm not worried about loosing any files as they're all backed up, but I do have 2 programs that I want to keep. Not sure if I'd be able to install them without a repurchase.

Thank you again.

On the note of the restore I tried 3 times while in Safe Mode & and all 3 failed.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I've had recent problems with the restore points on my Win 7 laptop in that they fail both in normal and Safe Mode, but when I went into the advanced boot options and chose Repair your computer, the restore point option was successful.

What with everything else going on, I'd forgotten that you can reset the System Event Notification Service to default.

If your restore point still fails in that mode, have a read through this article then scroll down to the SENS and follow the steps.

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/236709-services-restore-default-services-windows-7-a.html

Offline Caha

• View Profile
Thanks.  I will give both of these a shot. I had looked within the services window for the option to reset to default, but didn't get to look it up then forgot all about it.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Let's hope that at least one of those work :)