Author Topic: v3.9.27 Tweaking.com-Windows Repair Window suggestion  (Read 7984 times)

Offline John Terdik

• View Profile
v3.9.27 Tweaking.com-Windows Repair Window suggestion
« on: April 24, 2017, 01:50:21 pm »
I recently ran all the steps in v3.9.27 Tweaking.com-Windows Repair Window. One of the steps reverts all of the settings to the Windows defaults. This is a double-edge sword in that it can be a good or bad thing to do. Good in the sense some settings have been set and have created issues and  bad in the sense I've really customized my system and now a lot of things no longer work as expected. Before the settings are set to the default I'd like to see what is going to be changed and the option to deselect one or more of the settings. At this time I'm still finding settings that I have customized and going through the pain of re-customizing my system.
jgt1942

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: v3.9.27 Tweaking.com-Windows Repair Window suggestion
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 12:49:40 am »
It has to reset to repair, but it was my understanding that .27 was supposed to have put the app settings back to how they had been previously set.

However, I'll pass this onto Shane.

Why did you need to run the repair program ?

I've recently run it in an attempt to resolve a problem after upgrading to the Creators Update and while it was unable to fix that, after the reboot I was bombarded with messages that various apps had been set to default even though that was the way they were before running the repairs.

Offline John Terdik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 02:18:46 am »
After updating with Windows Creators something was consuming my 6 core processor 100% almost 100% of the time. Using the resource monitor I could see that SVCHOST.EXE was the biggest user but there were a lot of other process also running and consuming small amounts but when added together it was big. I searched the internet for issues related to SVCHOST.EXE and found tons of possibilities which took me down several rabbit holes with numerous branches. At some point I hit the wall and was in overload (totally confused). I then pulled the trigger and ran Tweaking.com-windows repair. This had a positive impact but after a couple of days the issue returned. At this time I just ignored the issue and continued to use the system. Today the performance is OK but not great. I just looked and SVCHOST.EXE is taking at least 15% of the PC and the CPU usage is bouncing between 75%-90%. At least I'm not constantly at 100%.

At times windows seemed to freeze for 30-60 seconds, I mainly notice this in Outlook 2013 x32 but I'm not sure if it really is Outlook or the fact that I use Outlook a lot. I normally have numerous applications running and some have several windows open.

BTW I also ran the windows repair on my wife's laptop which also had performance issues and she was constantly complaining. Also on her system I had to re-establish several defaults. Since running the windows repair she claims the system is working much better. Her PC has an Intel Core i5 3210M CPU and only 8GB of RAM. She is a more typical user and does not run a lot of applications at the same time.

On my system I also noticed that was also getting a lot of hard memory faults. I have 16GB of RAM and I then changed my VM settings to something huge. My paging file is on my SSD, all or almost all of my data is on SATA drives connected directly to my motherboard. I try to keep only the OS on the SSD.

At the present I'm running the MS Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool and scanning my entire system. This of course will take a VERY long time. I kicked this off while using the Advanced System Tweaker.
jgt1942

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 03:01:56 am »
Right click on the SVCHOST.EXE and select Go to details - right click on the highlighted one - could be another svchost and select Go to services and whichever is highlighted will be the hog.

After updating to the Creators, that may just take you to 1703 15063.0 and it's the subsequent updates that take it to 15063.138 so I'd check to see if updates are in the process of downloading/installing, but go start- type winver and that will tell you which version you have.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 09:39:08 am »
I've had a reply back from Shane regarding defaulting apps and apparently it's a bug in Win 10 that MS have acknowledged.

He's also modified the Permissions and updated to 3.9.28

Offline John Terdik

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 12:23:05 pm »
Ref - Right click on the SVCHOST.EXE and select Go to details - right click on the highlighted one - could be another svchost and select Go to services and whichever is highlighted will be the hog. I'll check this out after the Malicious Software Removal Tool (MRT) completes its scan. Last night I stopped the full system scan and did the quick scan. It did not find anything. About 35 minutes ago I kicked off a full system scan. It is still scanning the "C" drive and reports 36 issues. I'll let this complete and see what the results is.

BTW I also run Kaspersky Total Security, Malwarebytes and SUPERAnitSpyware. I'm surprised that MRT is finding stuff that was not found by either of these.

Ref - I've had a reply back from Shane regarding defaulting apps and apparently it's a bug in Win 10 that MS have acknowledged.
He's also modified the Permissions and updated to 3.9.28

Much thanks for the feedback and update. I've downloaded and installed the latest. However I cannot run until MRT has completed and I analyze the results.
jgt1942

Offline John Terdik

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 12:39:17 pm »
Ref - Right click on the SVCHOST.EXE and select Go to details - right click on the highlighted one - could be another svchost and select Go to services and whichever is highlighted will be the hog.

Where do I perform this action? I just attempted this action in the Resource Monitor for MRT.exe and when I right-click nothing happens.
jgt1942

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 02:16:13 pm »
My apologies - thought you were using Task Manager.

Right click on the Taskbar and select Task Manager then under the Processes tab, click on Memory to sort to highest user first and then follow those steps.

Offline John Terdik

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 12:15:20 am »
My apologies - thought you were using Task Manager.

Right click on the Taskbar and select Task Manager then under the Processes tab, click on Memory to sort to highest user first and then follow those steps.
NP I was not clear as to what I was running. In the TM when I right click I don't see "Go to services" but I do see "Go to Details", in the details view when I right-click I do see "Go to Services".

At this point I need more education (dummies version)   :shy: I found several YouTube videos and will watch them, hopefully they are good.  :undecided:

BTW MRT is still scanning the C drive, with 39 infected items (at this time I have no idea as to what they are). The progress bar looks like 1% completed, the scan time is currently 4 HR 50 minutes. At this rate it will take days to complete. As expected currently MRT is consuming a huge chunk of the CPU (23-40%) and the total CPU is between 70-94%. Until MRT completes there is not much I can do except try to get more education.  :cry:

In the Resource Monitor five of the cores seem to be the same (80-93% and the 6th is almost always above 90%
jgt1942

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 01:08:15 am »
How many times have you run MRT - you started that on the 25th April.