Author Topic: Screwed up File Permission - Windows Repair  (Read 14081 times)

Offline Dundalis

• View Profile
Screwed up File Permission - Windows Repair
« on: June 12, 2017, 06:39:46 am »
So I've screwed up my file permissions by taking random web advice to click on my C:\Users folder and do replace all child object permissions in advanced security settings, in order to properly see my user folder on my wifi network. Now the start bar doesn't work, and a bunch of programs won't function correctly if they need to write/save to folders. Whats my best bet to fix this mess? I'm thinking trying the Windows Repair program, if I was to use that, what things do I need to do (checkboxes etc). Or do I need to reinstall Windows completely? Note while I'm semi competent, I'm certainly no IT person, so newb jargon would be most helpful.

I have the Windows Repair program and all I've done so far is the pre-scan which brought up 42 missing default reparse points which are mostly things in the C:\Users folder. Haven't done repairs yet, as I'm hesitant to do anything to further screw up my PC.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 06:56:05 am by Dundalis »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Screwed up File Permission - Windows Repair
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 08:49:39 am »
Over how long a period have you been doing this as your restore points could come to your rescue.

While the program auto creates a registry backup, you can do that manually, but I always prefer to create a system image before running any program like Windows Repair.

The Reparse Point repair isn't harmful so you can go ahead with that and you can choose which repairs you want to run in the program.

You could try with just the Permissions repairs first to see if that does it.

Offline Dundalis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 03:50:05 pm »
It only happened last night. I checked and I have a restore point from last week. Trying to restore came up with an error about not being able to access a file and potentially antivirus causing issues, so I disabled malwarebytes and then it worked. However the start bar and most apps still don't work. In terms of the repairs with the Windows Repair program, is it just any item with permissions mentioned in it I need to flag?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 03:56:24 pm »
No, it will just work its way through them as far as I know when you select the Permissions repairs.

It's Shane's program so I don't know the nitty gritty of it.

Offline Dundalis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 05:07:11 pm »
No, it will just work its way through them as far as I know when you select the Permissions repairs.

It's Shane's program so I don't know the nitty gritty of it.
Ok. I don't want to mess with anything I don't need to, so if I don't have to flag all the items in the repair program, I'd rather not and just select the ones that will fix my issue, having read other posts about using the program and potentially running into other problems (I know it's mentioned to do a backup, but in case it's not an apparent issue I don't notice for another 2 months or something). Hopefully he can assist then if he sees this thread, since he seems to have blocked any PM's.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 07:52:44 pm by Dundalis »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 01:27:11 am »
If you have any problems as a direct result of running the program, I will pass those onto Shane for you, but that is why there is a forum for people to post their problems rather than PMs.

Offline Dundalis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 01:44:18 am »
If you have any problems as a direct result of running the program, I will pass those onto Shane for you, but that is why there is a forum for people to post their problems rather than PMs.
Fair enough. I've attached a screenshot of the repair selection screen. The first three are permission resets. Do you know if that's all I would need to run, or anything else? (don't know if things like file associations or the UAC settings options are relevant)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 01:55:27 am by Dundalis »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 01:47:32 am »
Just try those for now.

It's a pity you hadn't created a system image onto external media before you started playing around with the Permissions and then you would have had a secure fall back.

Offline Dundalis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 01:58:44 am »
Just try those for now.

It's a pity you hadn't created a system image onto external media before you started playing around with the Permissions and then you would have had a secure fall back.
Yeah that's the problem with just not being particularly tech savvy and not understanding the ramifications of making that change. Is that what you mean in your first reply? I should take the system image before running the permissions fix? In the program under step 5 there is the option to activate registry backup and a system restore point. That's insufficient then?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 02:16:52 am »
I wouldn't rely on the restore point as it's been found not to actually create one and the registry back up is more reliable, but an external system image is a sure fire fall back as well as being the only true defence against Ransomware.

I'd get yourself a couple of external HDDs which you can use alternatively for your system images as a new one will overwrite the old one.

I'd also create a system repair disk which you can boot up with should you have other problems.

You can either go into the BIOS, usually by tapping F2 as you switch on and use the cursor keys to navigate to Boot then use the cursor keys to select the DVD drive then use F5 or F6 to move that to the top.

Press F10 to Save and Exit - press enter to confirm which will then permanently check the DVD drive before the HDD or you can tap F12 as you switch on to give you a one off boot order change.

I have all of my laptops set to check the DVD drive first and that way I can boot up with an install or repair disk when the machine won't boot or I want to get into the Recovery Environment.

If your machine at some point doesn't boot and you have the boot order set that way and you have created a repair disk, look at the DVD drawer and you will see a pin hole where you can waggle something like a straightened paperclip or darning needle and that will pop open the drawer where you will then be able to insert the disk and switch on the machine.

Be ready to press any key to boot from CD/DVD when prompted.

Offline Dundalis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 02:31:44 am »
I wouldn't rely on the restore point as it's been found not to actually create one and the registry back up is more reliable, but an external system image is a sure fire fall back as well as being the only true defence against Ransomware.

I'd get yourself a couple of external HDDs which you can use alternatively for your system images as a new one will overwrite the old one.

I'd also create a system repair disk which you can boot up with should you have other problems.

You can either go into the BIOS, usually by tapping F2 as you switch on and use the cursor keys to navigate to Boot then use the cursor keys to select the DVD drive then use F5 or F6 to move that to the top.

Press F10 to Save and Exit - press enter to confirm which will then permanently check the DVD drive before the HDD or you can tap F12 as you switch on to give you a one off boot order change.

I have all of my laptops set to check the DVD drive first and that way I can boot up with an install or repair disk when the machine won't boot or I want to get into the Recovery Environment.

If your machine at some point doesn't boot and you have the boot order set that way and you have created a repair disk, look at the DVD drawer and you will see a pin hole where you can waggle something like a straightened paperclip or darning needle and that will pop open the drawer where you will then be able to insert the disk and switch on the machine.

Be ready to press any key to boot from CD/DVD when prompted.
Ok, I have an external HDD drive handy (currently have a 16TB external HD which I'm using for most media related stuff). I do have a 2TB one with nothing on it. As for the system repair disk, is that the same as a Windows 10 recovery drive which you can put on a USB? Looked up creating a system image and the article mentioned creating this for boot purposes.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 02:45:26 am »
When Win 7 ISOs were still available I downloaded one for the Pro 64 bit and one for the Home Premium 32 bit and created an install disk from the Pro ISO after removing the ei.cfg file so that it became an universal install disk which covered from Starter to Pro.

For my Win 10, I created install media from https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

The current ISO is the latest version and includes the Curators Update to give you or repair install version 1703.

If you don't have v.1703 yet and you want an install disk say for the version before that which is for 1607 then you can download the ISO for the Standard version of 1607 from - http://windowsiso.net/

Just hover over Win 10 ISO in the menu bar and select from the dropdown.

You will need a burner to create a bootable disk when using that source and the free ImgBurn will do that for you.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/imgburn.html

The System Repair disk will give you the same repair options as you would get by booting into the advanced boot options, usually by tapping F8 as you switch on and selecting Repair your computer.

Because I create regular system images and have Win 10 install disks, I haven't created the Win 10 recovery USB which can require one up to 16GB.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 03:16:49 am by Boggin »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 03:15:22 am »
I forgot to add that when restoring from an image on an ext. HDD in Win 7 you need to boot up with the System Repair disk.

You may be presented with an inverse window with Windows Setup (EMS Enabled) highlighted - just press enter.

Use the dropdown to change/confirm the keyboard etc. - Next - Next - where you will the option for System Image Recovery.

Offline Dundalis

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2017, 06:03:20 pm »
Ok, so I took the system image, and did the recovery USB, since I have spare ones, and don't have blank optical discs or burning software. Ran the permissions fix, and the start bar and apps like Microsoft edge/Firefox still don't work. I'm assuming my only option would be the in place install or even reinstalling Windows at this point?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 06:06:10 pm by Dundalis »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2017, 12:50:58 am »
I'd try the repair install first.

Offline Dundalis

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2017, 04:26:00 am »
I'd try the repair install first.
Ok whats the difference between that and the in place upgrade?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2017, 04:58:02 am »
Nothing - the in place upgrade is just a posh name for a repair install :)

Offline Dundalis

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2017, 07:48:04 am »
Nothing - the in place upgrade is just a posh name for a repair install :)
Ok. Well some stuff happened, one being a Windows update just dropped from Microsoft, I thought it would fail horribly or something, but not only did it not fail horribly, it actually fixed the start bar somehow, so it started working. None of the Microsoft apps worked however, but then when trying to download an app fixer from the microsoft website it wouldn't analyse the Windows apps because apparently I wasn't logged in with a Microsoft account, which I already had. So I used another profile attached to the Microsoft account, and all the apps seem to work with that account. Have to reinstate a whole bunch of things, and had to add user permissions to some folders, but otherwise most everything I use seems to work. Hopefully there's no more issues and I never need to touch any damn permissions again. Thanks for the assistance in any case.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2017, 07:55:14 am »
I had my doubts that a repair install may not have resolved as it tends not to change some settings, although it would be easier to try than a clean install but it's something I never play around with.

I once did it to resolve an Event Viewer DCOM 10016 error but you just get them back after a repair install, so now I just ignore them, given the average user wouldn't see them anyway.