Author Topic: Originally Windows 7 Update Problem  (Read 7854 times)

Offline ChuckR

• View Profile
Originally Windows 7 Update Problem
« on: June 17, 2017, 10:10:39 am »
I have been working for Months to allow Rollups to install. I have to go to the Security portion and install it.
I have been working with SysNative and we have been doing a lot of cleanup and building.
They have given up because of the number of missing System files. The following information from CHECKSUR.
Found 4391 errors
  CSI Manifest Missing Total count: 1670
  CSI C Mark Deployment Missing Total count: 8
  CSI Payload File Missing Total count: 2711
  CBS MUM Corrupt Total count: 2
TWEAKING.COM HAS helped in the past.  Can it do anything for the above issues?
Thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Originally Windows 7 Update Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 03:20:57 pm »
No - that repair section has since been closed.

Was that Checksur report from running the System Update Readiness Tool ?

Had Sysnative suggested a repair install ?

If you are using an OEM machine, there is the more drastic factory reset but you would need to back up all of your personal stuff first which you would have to put back after as well as reinstalling all of your programs, together with their product keys for the paid for programs - but it would fix your problem.

You would need your COA sticker or retail product key for a repair install, but it wouldn't affect your personal stuff or installed programs, although it is also advised to back up your drivers folders onto something like an USB Flash Drive and they can be found in C:\Windows\System32 and then drop them back in after.

With those errors I'm not sure if WSUS Offline Update would sort your problem, but there needs to be some updates for it to download.

This tutorial vid is for an older version but the principles are the same - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXAOvbNJYyE

Program download - http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/wsus_offline_update.html

Offline ChuckR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 09:20:00 pm »
Thanks for the response.  Sysnative cleaned up some of the files, but gave up.  We used SFCFix with files they supplied which worked.  There were just to many.  We used SFC \Scannow, Checksur(,Windows6.1-KB947821-v34-x64.msu), cleaned out DataStore, Tried DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image with /Scanhealth and /Checkhealth and /RestoreHealth but it won't run in Windows 7 Professional 64bit.  I also Ran Tweaking.com which did some cleanup as I recall. 
What did you mean with  "No - that repair section has since been closed"

I had the machine built 5 years ago and they used an OEM O.S.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 03:34:09 am »
What I meant by that was that the Cat and Mum file replacement section has been closed.

A sfc /scannow won't replace manifest files and while a dism /scanhealth cmd will usually complete in Win 7, it doesn't tell you anything and the /restorehealth cmd returns an error 87.

Did you get an install disk and product key from the people who built your machine ?

It's possible to perform a repair install on an OEM build with a Win 7 install disk that includes SP1 but you would still need the product key to activate it.

Belarc Advisor should give you the 5x5, 25 character alphanumeric key but it would be better to get that and a copy of the install disk from those who built the machine.

https://www.belarc.com/products_belarc_advisor

If you don't have the install disk and are unable to obtain one from those people, I can burn you a couple (one spare) of Win 7 SP1 x64 Pro install disks for you to try.

Just PM me your address if you want to try this.

After the repair install, you would need to install all of Windows Updates again, but WSUS Offline Updater can help with this

It's possible that an upgrade to Win 10 could resolve this as those manifest files will just apply to Win 7.

I think this method to free upgrade is still available without any checks being made to see if you apply.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade?tduid=(14c348e893a91089cb2980533c6ee123)(256380)(2459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-0FBZfNm6YPFXNhiu3o52rA)()

Probably best to create a system image onto external media first but you get 30 days in which to roll back should it not work out as there can be problems with graphic drivers, but if your machine wasn't compatible then it wouldn't complete and would auto roll back.

Offline ChuckR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 09:46:53 am »
Please Clarify
"What I meant by that was that the Cat and Mum file replacement section has been closed."

I never got into the innards of a very useful tool.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 10:05:19 am »
If you click on Main Forum in the menu then scroll down you will see the Cat and Mum File section and opening it, you will see that Shane and then Julian used to upload the missing Cat and Mum files.

Manifest files posed a greater problem though.

Have you given any thought as to the repair install ?

Offline ChuckR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 12:56:42 pm »
Thanks for the information and support.  I don't expect to do any more as most things are running.  It  just the Monthly Rollups.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 02:03:40 pm »
The new monthly updates contain security updates which could be crucial to prevent your machine from being seriously infected such as the recent Wannacry Ransomware attack.

MS have released these patches to protect against such an attack.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/wanna-cry-ransomware/5afdb045-8f36-4f55-a992-53398d21ed07

Offline ChuckR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 09:26:59 pm »
Are they for Windows 10?   The URL you listed references that.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 12:28:53 am »
If you look down the list, the first patch is for Win 8.1 followed by Win 10 then Win 7 and finally XP.

It's strange there isn't one for Vista but they had to issue one for XP because it is still widely used, even though they have ended support for XP.

A lot of organisations still use XP which probably helped Wannacry to hit so many world wide and it's reckoned a lot more than the hackers realized.

I read that the Bitcoins haven't been collected yet by those and it seems to be  bit of a toss up as to whether the hackers originated from China or N. Korea.