Author Topic: If i am having a wifi modem, who controls the speed of it  (Read 7942 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
If i am having a wifi modem, who controls the speed of it
« on: June 18, 2017, 09:09:05 pm »
Hi, Now only i know that the speed of broadband and wifi are totally different. I thought that the speed of any net acess is controlled by the ISP of the plan rate of the usesrs. But on seeing some articles, i now know that both are different. If BB is speed is controlled by ISP, any device connected it also shares the speed. This was my thinking. But now i know that both are differnet. Who controls the speed of the wifi, is it the vendor of the wifi modem, Dlink ? or any other thing.
Neighbourhood routers may be of differrent brands . I want to know the details about
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: If i am having a wifi modem, who controls the speed of it
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 12:55:03 am »
The speed you get from your ISP will be the max you can get when wired and the wireless speed is proportionate to that.

Some routers can allow a better wireless speed to be achieved than others and in other cases it can be because of the wireless NIC in a computer.

To give an example of that, I have two models of my ISP VDSL routers.

One is a HG633 and the other is a HG635.

While I get a max of 37.5Mbps wired on three laptops with both routers, I'm looking at wireless speeds of 20 - 22Mbps from the HG633 and 28 - 30Mbps with the HG635 on two laptops but on an older one, the wireless speed is only around 15Mbps at best.

This article touches on what slows wireless speed in comparison to Ethernet but wireless speeds can sometimes be improved by experimenting with the channels the router is broadcasting on.

https://www.howtogeek.com/217463/wi-fi-vs.-ethernet-how-much-better-is-a-wired-connection/

inSSIDer3 can help to determine the best channel to use. http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 03:45:14 am »
Hi, I will try to look in to both the links. But who controls it. The BB speed is controlled by the ISP depending upon one"s plan. But wireless, is it provided by the router manufacturer? i mean, dlink , in my case? i am having little confusion as the access is Lan in my case for my BB connection. i get wifi thro laptop and mobiles. Who controls the speed? Is it device based? or others. pl boggins.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 05:10:30 am »
Interference, Latency, channel setting and the devices using wireless will determine the wireless speed, but overall it will be proportionate to your max speed coming down the line.

Having multiple tabs open when doing a wireless speed test will be lower than when just having the one tab open as they will be using up bandwidth.

In my case, an older laptop's wireless NIC would seem to be the cause as far as I know, the reason why its wireless speed is lower than the other two machines.

There are two NICs - one for Ethernet (LAN) and one for wireless in both the router and computer, with some routers having a better wireless NIC than others.

This is why you'll get complaints about some routers having a poor wireless range.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 06:56:46 am »
Hi, Boggin , pl let me know, who controls the access of wifi, is it ISP.
  2. If i use the Google dns server as prefered dns server, is the external ip is given or allotted by google or my service provider. pl

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 07:20:20 am »
An external IP address is the address your ISP uniquely assigns to you from its range which gives you access to the Internet through your router.

https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/e/externip.htm

A DNS server translates a domain into an IP address for that domain/website regardless of which you use.

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-dns-server-2625854

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 05:44:49 am »
Hi, Thanks boggins for wealth of information.
I asked that because, when i changed to google dns, the external ip alloted to me by ISP was something different in starting numbers. I searched for it. It was a local address and belong to a private medical stores.
How external ips are allotted by ISP. Is it a auto one taken from not logged computers of the same Provider? Or is it the ip of the random automatically selected ?
                 Is it another ? You may remember my query regarding infected ips and login. Does the ip will show you the address of the establishment? Strange. i want to know. Thanks for providing links. i will definitely look in to my knowledge base

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 09:13:06 am »
No two people have or should have the same external IP address, so it would have to be one that hadn't been allocated.

I find it puzzling that you say the one you were given was for a local store as an ext. IP address uniquely identifies you.

If say someone from that local store was spamming, that IP address could be blacklisted and you would find it difficult to join forums and the suchlike.

It is said that you can get a different ext. IP address whenever you boot up, but the only time mine has changed was when I was directed by my ISP tech support to switch off the router for at least 30 mins, as that would give me a different ext. IP address.

Apparently that can sometimes fix Internet problems.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 09:20:07 pm »
Hi, Boggins, understand.
                    The ip addresss , i mentioned , was checked in ips who com, which gave the address of the medical stores in my local area. so, only i asked , how those are allocated . Is it from other users randomly or from those whose connection is not on?
I find strange in the showing of address in the whois ip or somesort of website. Normally it would only give the domain name and not the name of the actual store or shop.
                      I am getting much interest in knowing.how those external ips are allocated. Is it city wise or state wise or nationwide allocated.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 12:40:40 am »
I think you need to take this up with your ISP as to how look up is giving you that address for your ext. IP address as well as how they are allocated in relation to district.