Author Topic: On screen Keyboard keeps crashing  (Read 5454 times)

Offline whiggs

• View Profile
On screen Keyboard keeps crashing
« on: June 23, 2017, 07:30:17 am »
Hello Everyone,
So I had a quick question involving an the fact that my on-screen keyboard will crash after I close it and only after the first launch since reboot on my Windows server 2012 R2 machine.  In order to troubleshoot, I mounted the wim from the base install media and compared the osk.exe files (the on-screen keyboard executable located in C:\windows\system32), and found that the hash values for these files was different.  The date that they were modified is also different.  So here is my question: Windows server 2012 R2 has been in use for quite some time, so is there a possibility that some Windows update or Windows feature that I have installed modified the on-screen keyboard executable so that it is no longer the same file that is included in the base installation media?  Also, if anyone has any idea as to why the on-screen keyboard keeps crashing, please let me know.  While it is not preventing the server from functioning correctly, it is an area of concern.  BTW, all running the following shows no problems with the os:
sfc /scannow
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
chkdsk C:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: On screen Keyboard keeps crashing
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 09:10:20 am »
Not sure about any updates causing this but can you create a restore point then drop the pristine file in from the install media to see if that resolves ?

Your restore points may also help if you know when this first started and then restore back to before then.

Offline whiggs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 10:02:59 am »
Windows server does not support creating system restore points.  I have actually tried replacing the file, but it will not let me because the "DHCP service" is supposedly locking the file

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 01:51:35 pm »
I'm not familiar with Windows servers.

Have you tried booting up into just Safe Mode to try it - not sure if you would be able to go into services.msc - click on DHCP Client to see if it will allow you to Stop the service.

Your Networking services won't be loaded in that mode.