Author Topic: New user question  (Read 8118 times)

Offline Lynn1102

• View Profile
New user question
« on: July 12, 2017, 01:39:54 pm »
Tried Tweaking for the first time.  Ran program and when it got to the point of checking files/programs (not sure), it started checking #1 of 43.  Lots of time involved as it counted up.  When it got to #38, the program quit and message said to reboot.
I rebooted and ran the program again.  This time it got to #42 not sure if it made it 43 or not, but it quit again.
Not sure what to do next.  Call it finished or run it again, since I'm not sure it was finished.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: New user question
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 02:16:59 pm »
Which version of Windows are you using and have you performed a chkdsk /r ?

Offline Lynn1102

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 02:46:35 pm »
I'm using Win 10 Home version 1607.  Before running this program, I ran chkdsk, scan disk, virus check and malware check.

My main problem is I keep getting updates that can't or won't install. They download but can't install and remove all changes.  With some downloads, other things on the system don't work.  Start button doesn't work - it's greyed out, search bar doesn't work.  Since June 17th, KB4015217 has downloaded 22 time that I know of and KB4022715 has downloaded at least 17 times.  Yesterday one or both was here, today they are gone.
Many, Many others have the same problem.  I have tried both manual install, which quits at 20% and the Creator install from the web site, which quits at 89%.  Most keyboard shortcuts don't work and some items missing from the control panel.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 03:10:45 pm »
I was wondering how you were able to run those system scans with the Start button greyed out and what did they report ?

Did this machine come with Win 10 or did you upgrade it from an earlier version of Windows ?

Offline Lynn1102

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 03:45:30 pm »
This is an upgrade from windows 7.  As for running the other programs, Windows/Start key + R, opens the run command, which can do lots of things.  To shut down I need Win/Start key + L key takes you to a screen where you can shut down - hit enter, then click the power button.

I forgot, this mess also killed my printer.  Downloaded drivers can't or won't install.

Offline Lynn1102

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 04:04:44 pm »
I'm hoping to at least get those two updates to install and stay there.  If they do finally stay, I'm hoping my upgrade to Creator will come automatically.  I just checked and both updates are now there, one of them is a new download today and also a new Flash update also today. 

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 04:28:18 pm »
Okay - I'm currently compiling a reply for you to perform an offboot sfc /scannow using a 1607 install disk but if you can manually upgrade to the CU then that may fix your problems.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 04:35:18 pm »
Forgot to add - if you are using a 3rd party antivirus program, then disable it before starting the update to the CU.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 04:54:10 pm »
You haven't said what the file scans reported.

Is this where you tried the manual update to the Creators Update and did you create a bootable install disk or are you able to create a bootable install disk ?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

As it won't update and if you don't have a 1607 install disk, then you can create one for 1607 from http://windowsiso.net/ and use Windows USB/DVD Burner Tool to create a bootable disk.

http://wudt.codeplex.com/

At the ISO site hover over Win 10 in the menu bar then hover over 1607 and select Standard, saving the download and then use the Windows burner tool to point it to the ISO.

Now we need to change the Boot order.

From an admin cmd prompt enter bcdedit and under Windows Boot Loader make a note of the Identifier - it can be either {current} or {default}

Enter this cmd to give you the old F keys you can tap as you switch on.

bcdedit /set {your Identifier} bootmenupolicy legacy

exit

Then shutdown and tap the key for Setup which could be F2

When you get into the BIOS use the cursor keys to navigate to Boot and use the cursor keys to select the DVD drive - F5 or F6 will move that to the top.

Insert the install disk then press F10 to Save and Exit - YES and when it boots up, press any key to boot from CD/DVD when prompted.

Use the dropdown to change/confirm the Time and currency format - Next - then on the Install window click on Repair your computer bottom left.

Click on Troubleshoot and select Command Prompt

Enter bcdeit |find "osdevice" and using whichever partition letter, use that where I've used X and enter this cmd.

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=X:\ /offwindir=X:\Windows

exit

To close the cmd window when done, remove the disk then select Turn off your PC and reboot to see how it performs then.

For clarity that is a Pipe symbol before find and is the uppercase of \ and there's a space before each /

To revert to a normal boot menu policy if you wish, redo the bcdedit bootmenupolicy cmd again and use standard instead of legacy.

Offline Lynn1102

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 05:37:57 pm »
Boggin, there are things here that weren't mentioned in all my other trials.  Chkdsk and scan disk found no problems.  Of course I've run both of them several time withing the past few days.  No virus found and one PUP found in malware - gone.  I did down load the windows ISO file and also have it on flash drive and disc.  I'll double check to make sure I have the right one.  I can wait till morning as my dinner time is calling.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 12:24:59 am »
Are you able to get into Windows Explorer - This PC - insert the 1607 or CU install disk and double click on the drive to do either a repair install or update to the CU ?

The repair install which won't affect your personal stuff or installed programs can replace what a sfc /scannow doesn't look at.

Offline Lynn1102

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 09:40:23 am »
Boggin,  Thanks for all the help and suggestions.  Unfortunately it didn't work.  I tried 3 different times and each one failed at 33%.  Tweaking did make some minor changes but not enough to help my problem.  I had auto updates turned off, but tweaking turned it back on, and I forgot to check it.  Yesterday, I got three new updates, and when I turned on the computer this morning, I got the "installing updates", the I got "can't install updates, undoing changes, then I got " retrying to install" then "can't install and undoing changes".  It took 33 minutes to get to my desktop this morning.
I'm going to try a few more things, so I'll be back if and when something good happens.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2017, 12:41:55 pm »
Did you try the repair install or manual update to the CU with your antivirus disabled ?

Should it be a driver problem, go into Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices then expand each section and right click on each device, including those in System Devices and select Update Driver.

Some may give you that you have the latest driver while some may have a driver that will be updated.

If you come across any that has a yellow alert next to them, just do the same for those.