Author Topic: Windows Repair Portable 4.0.0 has been running too long - what do I do?  (Read 10311 times)

Offline coover

• View Profile
Downloaded Windows Repair Portable 4.0.0 today and have been running the repairs. At present, repair job 18, Repair Volume Shadow Copy Service is running as it has been for the last 2 hours. This repair apparently did finish one part of the repair "Decompressing & Updating windows Permission file", this part of the job taking 0.14 seconds, and now all it says is "Running Repair under Current User Account".

I've used various versions of Windows Repair for years, often running it on friends computers that need repair,  and just downloaded version 4.0.0 (portable) today and decided to run it to see if it is different than previous versions. Yes, previous versions have been slow, mostly on older computers, but the computer this is running on is quite fast.

I shall continue to allow Windows Repair run on the computer until I hear from somebody that it is safe to stop the program from running on this repair or that 2 hours is acceptable and to continue to let it run.

Thanks

Offline coover

• View Profile
I just noticed that there does not seem to be any activity going on ... Drive Read: "O bytes/s", Drive Write: "0 Bytes/s", Memory Used "1.59 GB", CPU Usage: 0%.  However, apparently 52 processes are going on as I type this (on another computer).

Offline coover

• View Profile
I am running Windows 10, Build 15063.483, the latest build on an HP 500-490 desktop. My CPU is an i3-4130 and it has 8 GB RAM.

Offline coover

• View Profile
Whoops, I decided to minimize the Windows Repair Window and I found a Window underneath requesting permission to run the repair, I typed "Y" and the repair restarted, finished and is now working on repair 38 (the App Store).

All seems to be ok, but I've never had to authorize a repair while the program is running in the past. I suggest that somebody at tweaking.com look into this apparent bug before thousands of other folks have the same problem.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 07:12:28 pm by coover »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I'll pass this on to Shane.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
looks like the repair stopped go ahead and skip that repair for now try running the other repairs. reboot the computer and try running that single repair again these repairs are automated so if a repair stalls it won't complete any other repairs till that cmd window closes but since you said 0 cpu usage and 0 hdd read and write it is safe to say that the command has stopped running.
thanks,
Julian
Julian

Offline coover

• View Profile
One of the things I did was to check the box to keep the App Window "on Top". If I had not done this, I would have noticed the request (Y/N) to run the repair.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
wait what? can you get a snap shot of that i'm not understanding. Are you talking about user account control popping up? or are you talking about in the actual cmd prompt window when the repairs are running?
Julian

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I was given to understand that it was an UAC, but the program is supposed to sort out the permissions to run these repairs, which is why I've passed it on to Shane.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
found out what you are talking about is the vss repair it will halt on a yes no it happens in normal mode ive noticed but not in safe mode.
Julian

Offline coover

• View Profile
It was the repair window that came up, not the user account control. And no, unless I run it again, I cannot get a snap shot of it. If you would like, I could run it again, but that takes some time. I was in Safe Mode when it occured.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
no worries  :smiley: I know which repair did it now i was testing windows repair earlier today and found it. the repair was the volume shadow copy service that halted until you chose yes or no to continue.
Julian

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I thought the installed and portable versions were the same ?

I didn't experience anything like that when I ran the installed version on my Win 7 in Safe Mode.

Anyway, sometime today Shane is releasing v.4.01.

Offline coover

• View Profile
And as soon as he does, I will download it. Thanks.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I'm waiting for it as well but it's only about 08:25am where he's located at the time stamp of this post.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
you should be able to upgrade to 4.0.1
 :wink:
Julian