Author Topic: Windows 7 Ult 64 bit trapped by BSD and can not get out.  (Read 153059 times)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 7 Ult 64 bit trapped by BSD and can not get out.
« Reply #150 on: February 10, 2018, 08:12:53 am »
Are you aware of the recently publicised threats of Meltdown and Spectre and MS update KB4056894 to counter them in Win 7 ?

This may not be an immediate threat, so the newer update is optional.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3246286/microsoft-windows/buggy-win7-meltdown-patch-kb-4056894-throwing-blue-screens.html

Intel are vulnerable to Meltdown and Intel are supposed to be working on a firmware/BIOS update to counter this.

https://www.techarp.com/guides/complete-meltdown-spectre-cpu-list/

Third party antivirus programs should have modified this key for the update to be compatible., but can be manually checked.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4072699/january-3-2018-windows-security-updates-and-antivirus-software

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 10, 2018, 10:56:52 am »
Thanks, much, Boggin.  I am following up with Del now.

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 17, 2018, 05:52:19 pm »
VIDEO FIXED!  Will be trying to fix OS this week.
Boggin, I found this free today.
Looks very good and free today:

https://sharewareonsale.com/checkout/order-received/10427855?key=wc_order_5a87f86b30959

Seems better than AOMEI.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 18, 2018, 12:44:10 am »
I use Windows own create a system image on my Win 7 laptop but use Macrium Reflect Free on my two Win 10 laptops.

That is because MS are deprecating the Win 7 system image that can be used on Win 10.

Macrium doesn't overwrite the previous image and you can use it for differential back ups of files, although I just use it for system images.

Is that a lifetime free licence on that program or just for 12 months ?

As a recap, what problems are you still experiencing with your OS now that you've got your graphics sorted ?

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 27, 2018, 11:29:39 am »
Howdy Boggin,

I spoke too soon.  I was impressed with the German precision, etc.  They responded for support pretty well, but it ran for 2 days and had another 3 days to go for my 2 TB C drive with no compression, etc.  That long is too long for backup, IMO.

So, I am back to AOMEI Backupper, but still get the 4098 error with no real explanation from AOMEI.  So, I am at a loss to proceed without making another full back as the one I made when i first started is to old.  I will look at Marcum again.  I will keep you posted.

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 28, 2018, 12:26:12 pm »
OK, wow, this does not stop for me.  I've had this computer for about 4 years and it was fine.  No problems.  Fast.  Neat! 
But, that was last year and now still challenges which began when machine was shipped in to Aventis for servicing.  I won't repeat all the nutty-gritty details from that moment to now.

But, now that I have brand new MB, brand new video card and 8 monitors working again.
So , I am back to making a backup and either applying those Win 7 updates or doing whatever you suggest to repair the corruption that we found last year.

I figured that the next step was to run an AOMEI image backup for safety.  But, in the process of doing so and using the machine I got the 4098 error on AOMEI --- twice --- which they have no support for orther than:  "Try the AOMEI PE build."  I ran the PE build but did not understand what happened.  I also tried the CLONE option; this option write "most" of the Win 7 system onto the D drive, but had another error.  I gave up on AOMEI even though I paid for it twice.

But, then, I noticed that the mouse delay got longer with a ten second delay at times.  Maddening.
Also, Windows explorer seemed to take a very long time even for simple items.  Definitely Windows explorer was not acting properly.

I was tempted to run Tweaking, but had Kerish doctor running so I asked it for a report on service optimization.  Attached.
I was not sure what KD was saying so I ran Tweaking.

But, Tweaking confused me.  I set it up for safe mode reboot (after downloading the latest).  I got to the chkdsk part and it ran Chkdsk /R.
I went to bed and when I got up in the middle of the night, I checked it several times; last time I looked it was a t stage 4 of 5 and seems to be OK with no errors reported.

When I got up in the morning, normal Windows rebooted and I was unsure what to do.  I had thought that Tweaking would restart in safe mode after the Chkdsk /R was complete,

But, anyway, I started up Tweaking again and figured all would be good.  I am pretty sure I began with Registry Backup first, but somehow the Permissions Backup was running for several (3+) hours; and it was --- it seemed to me slow --- screen print is attached.  At this rate I would be here another several hours, maybe all day.  So, I killed it figuring something was wrong connected with the original basic Windows 7 problem.

In using the mouse, and starting apps, it seemed that mouse and explorer problems disappeared.  I have no idea why.  Was it Keresh or Tweaking or what?

So, the next step was backup.  I figured it the Windows image backup is good enough for you, I would try it.  But, it would not recognize my D drive so matter what I did.  The D drive is there and I can see it and write on it, etc. but Wind image backup would not see it.

So, I got the free Macrium and tried to install that and system apps are working in the backgroup but system is frozen for any other work except I can move open windows around.  Tried to cancel Macrium with task manager but frozen now for about 3 hours. 

I finally pulled the plug.  Restarted Windows and the machine seems to be OK with no mouse problems, explorer problems, etc.  Another things was was prolly fixed earlier also:  Shortcuts on the START list came back.  They have been missing for days.

You might be interested in windows updates.  I did not do any intentionally.  Attached is updates pending and failed update graphics.  FWIW.

So, Boggin, that is my story.  I am at a loss as to what to do next.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 01:34:36 pm by FreeCat »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 28, 2018, 01:56:06 pm »
The Permissions Backup is a Pro optional feature, but prior to running the repairs, it will auto create a registry back up so I'm not sure the Permissions back up is necessary - I've never done it.

You could just go straight for the repairs.

I assume D: drive is the USB drive that you have your external HDD plugged into - my D: drive is for my CD/DVD drive and my ext. HDD usually get E: or F:

With Macrium you need to plug the ext. HDD in first before you open the program.

With your ext. drive plugged in can you go Start - type diskmgmt.msc and press enter to see if it recognised in Disk Management and has a drive letter assigned to it.

Just to confirm that your internal HDD is okay, can you go Start - type eventvwr and press enter.

When Event Viewer opens, ensure Event Viewer (Local) is highlighted in the left pane - if it isn't then just click on it.

When it has read the data, expand Windows Logs - click on Application then on Action/Find and type chkdsk or wininit into the Find box and press enter.

Cancel the Find box and read the chkdsk log in the scrollable pane below and check that it hasn't reported any KBs in bad sectors.

Can you run the Windows Troubleshooter and then try the updates again.

I'm surprised it gave you an update for the July 2017 MSRT as well as the older Win 7 Roll up.

If the updates still fail then download the System Update Readiness Tool (SURT)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=20858

This is a 533MB download and can take a while to run but when it's done, its log can be found in Windows C:\Windows\Logs\CBS then double click on the Checksur one which will open in Notepad.

If it reports any corruption, can you copy & paste it into your reply.

You can also run a sfc /scannow to see if that reports anything amiss.

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 28, 2018, 05:12:40 pm »
OK.  Progress!

Attached it the CHKDSK log (had no idea how to get that - thanks) and there were no errors.  Good.

Re backup:  I know I had a D drive as I used Disik Management to  format it and assign the letter D.

But, when i went to DM again, letter was gone.  Dunno if AOMEI or Windows Backup took the drive letter out, in in windows explorer it was still D but in DM it had no letter.  So, I used DM to give it the letter H and started the Windows Backup again and it is now running.  Moray and Thank You very much!

When if completes, I will attempt the update again and let you know.

Boggin, you are so nice helping me.  I really, really appreciate your help.   God bless you for it.  (... although we know that is not why you help.)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 01, 2018, 12:43:11 am »
That's good news and thanks for the update.

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 01, 2018, 06:03:39 am »
LOL Boggin. Woe is me.  Well nothing was written and there was an error (scrn 3 shows error message).  BTW, I forgot to mention that my backup drive (now H) is a 2 TB internal empty drive (simple format).

Some little tiny, tiny amount of the drive was written on, I think.  I was asked to check the event log for SPP and Vss entries, but could find one that were recent.  Maybe I am looking in the wrong spot.

Weirdly, the display of the internal drive that was once D and is now H still shows as D and it shows with some kind of data on it 65.8 MB free of 99.9 MB --- a system reserved area?  Scrn 5 next post as I could not figure how to add it to this one.

Over to you Boggin.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 06:08:50 am by FreeCat »

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 01, 2018, 06:09:30 am »
Scrn 5 attached

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 01, 2018, 06:24:39 am »
I've always used an external HDD for my system images so I'm not sure how you would recover the image from an internal separate HDD.

I don't know what those other drives are but go into Disk Management to see if that reserved partition is listed.

In Win 7 that would normally be 400MB and gives you access to the advanced boot options - are you able to get to those when you tap F8 (usually) as you switch on ?

Go into Event Viewer and when it has read the data, click on Error then on View All Instances of This Event in the lower right pane where you should see the immediate errors.

Clicking on any will give more info the pane below.

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 01, 2018, 09:05:37 am »
OK, my plan is to just have the system image for now.  I understand that on a drive C crash ---- after replacing drive C ---- I could use the stand alone boot MS mentions to recover the systen,

Yes, there is a system reserved area on that D drive so prolly best to wipe the whole drive and start again.  AOMEI or MS or someone could not do the backup but they were able to put the systems reserved area on the drive.

BUT, I got hung up twice where nothing would work --- not even going to task manager.  So, I went to Safe mode --- BTW weird as it is using the high res graphics card which I never saw used by Safe Mode previously --- and am doing a common repair.  Based on what you said, I only did the Registry backup and then began the common repair list.

So, far going slow but plunking along.  2 hours.   I took a picture, attached.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 01, 2018, 09:17:50 am »
Windows would normally put that reserved partition in during a clean install.

It's certainly taking its time compared to what it takes on mine, but as long as it's working, then you just have to patient.

I've never known safe mode to use the GPU either - perhaps a wipe and clean install may be better.

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 01, 2018, 10:14:10 am »
OK, Boggin, I will exercise patience.  But, what is a wipe and clean install?  Of what?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 01, 2018, 12:36:55 pm »
A wipe is a format of the HDD followed by a clean install - I assume you have install media and a valid retail key ?

You would of course need to back up your personal stuff and make a note of any product keys for any paid for programs.

I can't remember if your computer is custom or an OEM branded build.

With the latter then a factory reset would take it back to out of the box where the same would apply for your personal stuff and product keys.

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 01, 2018, 02:10:33 pm »
OK, notes, but that is the last thing I would want to do.
Way too many installs and may to be able to find all the keys.
I do have the DELL OEM Windows 7 64 bit install disc and the key for that.

Anyway, it has been close to over 5 hours since Tweaking began and looks to be only half finished.  there are messages that it failed several times.  See attached image and Tweaking log is also attached.

Can you tell what is causing this to fail?  Should I use a different repair list other than "common"?

Or, should I try the sfc /scannow ?  What parameters to use if i put the original disc in the DVD drive?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 01, 2018, 02:53:54 pm »
That repair seems to be for the sidebar and gadgets.

You could stop the program and run it again with Repair 19 unchecked but you could perform an offboot sfc /scannow after booting up with the install disk.

The install disk would need to be the Pro version and include SP1 which yours may not include.

There are a couple listed for Win 7 x64 Pro SP1 on this web site - http://windowsiso.net/windows-7-iso/windows-7-download/professional-iso-7/

Select Save on the download then install Windows USB/DVD Burner Tool to create the install disk.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56485

You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS or by tapping F12 as you switch on for the one off boot order change.

Press any key when prompted to boot from CD/DVD and you may be presented with an inverse window with Windows Setup (EMS Enabled) highlighted - just press enter then navigate to the Install screen and click on Repair your computer and select Command Prompt.

Enter bcdedit |find "osdevice" and using that partition letter instead of the X I have exampled, enter -

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=X:\ /offwindir=X:\Windows

For clarity that is a Pipe symbol before find and is the uppercase of \ and note there is a space before each /

When it's done, it will report as for the same when you do a normal sfc /scannow.

Enter exit to close the cmd window, remove the install disk and select Restart.

EDIT - Things seemed to have changed on that website, so if you can't download the iso  I can burn you a couple of Win 7 x64 Pro SP1 disks and send them to you - just PM me your address if this is required.

I suppose in the mean time you could perform a sfc /scannow from within Windows to see what it reports - no parameter is required.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 03:10:28 pm by Boggin »

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 01, 2018, 04:14:52 pm »
Thanks, Boggin.  I do have the install disc with SP1, so no need to burn me one.
I will stop Tweaking and do the SFC.  Will keep you posted. 
Thanks again for your help.

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 01, 2018, 05:49:46 pm »
Hi Boggin,

I set MSVONFIG  to just load basic but there is all kinds of crap running.

How do  I set system up so these processes and services do not run?

See attached.

Still in safe mode the system feels so much cleaner and faster.  Mouse and explorer response is much better.  I want to make it even with less stuff loaded all the time.  How to do that?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 05:55:42 pm by FreeCat »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 02, 2018, 01:11:01 am »
Go into msconfig and under the Startup tab click on Disable all - Apply - OK - Restart then see how it runs.

The only program I have enabled in there is for my Realtek HD Audio Manager.

Under the Services tab you can probably uncheck any updaters, but check the box to Hide all Microsoft services and that will give you a clearer view of what non-MS services are running.

StartUpLite is a program that can help you to decide if you have any unnecessary programs in your start up menu, but generally you don't need any as they will start when you want them without them running in the background and taking up memory.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/startuplite/

If you have the free version of MBAM installed, then go Start - type services.msc and press enter

Scroll down to the MBAM service, right click on it - select Properties and use the dropdown to change its status to Manual then click on Stop - Apply - OK - File/Exit then reboot to effect.

If you run a scan with it, it will remain started until you reboot although I don't think it will be heavy on resources - it's just one thing less that will take up memory when using the computer normally.

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 02, 2018, 01:14:04 pm »
Well, I killed some services and got a nicer, faster, cleaner system.

Also found the reason for freezing up:  My browser (Opera which I have been using for 10 years - greatest browser -- no problems) is stuck on some site which takes control of my machine.  Only by killing in TM was I able to get machine back.  Previously I could not get to TM.  Dunno why I got to it this time as when the lockout occurs and this site takes control, almost nothing is possible.  I will just use another browser for now till I figure out a way around that.

But, although I selected diagnostic boot only STARTUPSTAR, BOOSTSPEED and ANVIR still wound up as active processes.
I do not understand why.  Any idea?

But, that is (sort of) minor as the MS back still does not recognize any drives.  I deleted the D and H and reinstated it as one H drive and yet it fails to recognize even though it is visitable in Disk Management and Explorer.

An image with status of things is attached.  I started the VDS and VSS (?) by hand.  Still no backup possible.

I think the backup is necessary for me to proceed with MS W7 update to avoid the BSOD.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 02, 2018, 02:28:25 pm »
STARTUPSTAR and BOOSTSPEED are programs you have installed which have become part of your system's start up and ANVIR has taken over from your normal Task Manager which now is also part of your system.

I don't know why you have installed VisiBroker but the VssProvider while showing as Started has a status of Disabled which should be changed to Manual, although I don't have that service in my Win 7.

When you go to Create a system image, click on Select another backup to restore files from and if your other internal HDD isn't listed, see if Refresh will pick it up.

As I've said, I've never used a separate internal HDD to back up to as I use laptops, so don't know if there's a different procedure for it to find the path.

As for Opera, I would download AdwCleaner using a different browser and run a scan with that should you have picked up adware which is causing that freeze.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

I've never used Opera but a Google has found this article for how to reset it to defaults should it still not work after running AdwCleaner.

https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-reset-opera-browser-settings-to-their-defaults/

and there's this one - https://computerstepbystep.com/windows_7_opera.html

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 03, 2018, 07:30:26 am »
Thanks again, Boggin.

Not sure of how this happened and what exactly it means:  "STARTUPSTAR and BOOSTSPEED are programs you have installed which have become part of your system's start up and ANVIR has taken over from your normal Task Manager which now is also part of your system."  Since you did not comment they they might be a problem, I will just put this aside.  I wonder how they can "un-become" a part of my system, but for now, as i said, putting aside.

Re VisiBroker:  I am not sure what it is/does.  I have not consciously installed it.  Since you made no further comment, I just made note but will leave it alone.

I will change the VssProvider to Manual.

I have used internal HDD for backup by AOMEI and it worked fine.

My Malwarebytes run produced some errors; I attached only the first and last page here; at the end of the last page is a serious result categorized as MALWARE.  Can I just clean them all?  Or should I pick and choose?  Maybe this is the cause of the backup not working.

I will work with your Opera links to see if I can use Opera again.

I will keep you posted.  Thanks again for your help.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 03, 2018, 08:38:04 am »
Can you copy the MBAM log and attach that and I'll have a malware removal expert look at them as they may not all be unwanted.

He may want you to register on the BleepingComputer.com forum where he works and have you run a couple of diagnostic programs.

This is what I'd found for STARTUPSTAR, BOOSTSPEED, ANVIR and VisiBroker.

https://www.abelssoft.de/en/windows/System-Utilities/StartupStar

https://www.auslogics.com/en/software/boost-speed/

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/download/system-desktop-tools/anvir-task-manager-free-923-3330806/

https://www.microfocus.com/products/corba/visibroker/

I doubt if they would have come preinstalled on your computer and would have had to have been installed/bought.

I don't see why you can't just uninstall them if you don't want them.

Go Start - All programs and scroll down to each to see if they have their own Uninstaller.