Author Topic: BIOS Update  (Read 4930 times)

Offline geometer

• View Profile
BIOS Update
« on: October 10, 2017, 04:21:48 pm »
Running Win 7 Pro SP1, my programs load like snails without exception.

I've run Repair, more than once, so I'm speculating that my ancient BIOS might be the culprit:  Award, v. F5 dated 2011.

I googled and found Gigabytes Tech. which refers to BiosPlusAgent for BIOS updates.

I paid my bucks, but have not heard a word for over two days. Getting a refund aside, can you recommend a source for
doing this update?

TIA

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: BIOS Update
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 01:55:37 am »
Using a 3rd party program to update your BIOS in my opinion would be risky because if it gives you the wrong one, it could brick your computer.

If this is an OEM (branded) machine then go to the computer support site and check for BIOS updates - if it is a home or purpose built machine, then go to the motherboard support site and do the same.

As for slow loading programs, see how they load in a clean boot.

To do this, go Start - type msconfig and press enter then under the Startup tab click on Disable all then under the Services tab, check the box to Hide all Microsoft services and then on Disable all - Apply - OK - Restart but it is a must that you first check the box to Hide all MS services before hitting Disable all.

If your antivirus program is listed in those services then recheck its box.

You could also see how the programs load in Safe Mode with Networking.

To check to see how the CPU is performing, right click on the taskbar and select Task Manager and under Performance see at what % it is running at.

Clicking on the Memory tab will sort to the highest user, as will clicking on the CPU tab to see which may be maxing out the CPU.

If there's one in particular, right click on it and then select Go to services which should land on and highlight the hog.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 02:09:42 am by Boggin »

Offline geometer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 05:05:28 pm »
Boggin,

Following your instructions re: MSCONFiG......no help!
Following your instructions re:  Safe Mode....material speed up!

Found little program,  Toolwiz Care, which, among other features, allows you to Disable or Delay
startup items. Most helpful, it gives you recommendations based on survey of users.

It solved my problem.

Thanks for your help.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 12:49:03 am »
I'm not sure what that program can do that can't be achieved through msconfig, although you can change some services to auto delayed or manual.

StartUpLite is a free program that can tell you if you have any unnecessary programs in Startup, but what did that program snag that resolved for the slow problem.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/startuplite/

With that resolving the slow problem then there won't be any need to update the BIOS, but that advice in how to go about it still stands - and hope you get your money back :)