Author Topic: Previous update totally messed up my PC+--> destroyed C drive  (Read 11364 times)

Offline ergo

• View Profile
Previous update totally messed up my PC+--> destroyed C drive
« on: October 25, 2017, 08:08:19 am »
I have purchased both version 3 and 4.  I installed the latest update and then did a prescan, and performed the update.  Tweaking locked up for 24 hours, causing me to reboot.  Then, when I opened it again Tweaking announced I had an MSD hash incompatibility and it refused to let me in.

Restoring the computer from Windows Restore did no good, my PC was totally messed up.

Why wouldn't tweaking let me in at that point so I could see if a restore worked?

At that point, being desperate I tried to restore my C drive using an Acronis 2018 mirror.  That destroyed my hard drive.  Actually, it reformatted it and Acrois support won't fix it.

So now I'm using my old Windows 8 computer, and *.* tweaking won't even let me use it or update it since I don't have Pro.  Well, you destroy my PC and then you want me to buy a license from the old one?

And why on earth did you lock me out of Tweaker 4 because of an MSI conflict that you created?

I've wasted 3 days now, working late into the night trying to find a fix.  Do I have to buy a new computer now?

Rani

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Previous update totally messed up my PC+--> destroyed C drive
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 01:24:45 pm »
I've responded to your duplicate post in that other thread.

Offline ergo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 08:44:48 pm »
Your response doesn't help me at all.

Why did you send a link to the page where you don't give me a response, rather than the page I can't find?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 12:18:06 am »
This is the thread which you had posted in and had been reported to me, so I responded to that.

http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,5429.0.html

It was then that I became aware of your own thread and rather than repeat myself, I've responded as I have in this one.

In which way does my suggestions not help you ?

The repair program cannot trash a computer - that is down to already existing conditions.

Offline ergo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 12:23:20 am »
Thanks for your help.   I apologize for how I sounded, I was panicking - I had to testify in a deposition and a workshop to prepare for an I lost all my work and just was beside myself.  But the problem resulted from a number of things.   

One thing I wondered about - what should I have done after the Md hash or whatever it is called was still having it out? 

One thing I wonder about - when Tweaking was still chug-a-lugging after 24 hours or so, did that mean it was frozen or should I have waited?  I have a very fast 4.0 Ghz computer with 32 gb RAM.

Another comment.   Your repair feature that changes the folder space to 20,000 folders, are you increasing the number or decreasing it?  All I want is to go as fast as it can, and I didn't see where you indicated  the objective of doing this.

Thanks, Rani

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 01:06:43 am »
I've passed this on.

Offline jpm

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 06:45:02 am »
I appreciate the panic - I've been there myself.

The MD5 Hash is a type of check to verify the integrity of our files.  If, when starting the program, the MD5 fails - then the copy you have is no good for some reason. It could be a hacked copy or a corrupt copy but either way, it should not be used. 

To fix that you just needed to redownload the program and reinstall.

Given the description, I'd wager you have a rather serious hardware issue - probably your drive.  If while running the program it locked up, crashed and I am assuming corrupted one f our files - bad hard drive makes sense.  It also makes a little sense if the Acronis then had issues. However, even if Acronis formats the drive you should still be able to lad the backup image on the machine. So that may be unrelated. I'd need to know more.

But I would check the drive for sure.