Author Topic: Ran a full repair on my Srv 2012 essentials... now its no longer on the network  (Read 6340 times)

Offline conram

• View Profile
Yeah, maybe I should have read all the fine print and checked 4.0.9 boxes a bit more selectively, but the machine was acting up terribly in regards to performance so i figure i hit it with a big hammer.

After running the 4.0.9 all seems ok in regards to expected result, but for some reason I am not able to get it back on my Lan.
It gets Internet fine.

I have tried disabling windows firewall (got another software), checked Remote Desktop settings, relevant services are running, no issues in Device Manager, most of the latest MS updates installed.

My biggest suspicion is in the network categorizing, it was set on public network and i switched to private and made sure it had the proper IP and all that, but it does not seem to help. It wont even respond to ping from other computers on the network.

No other changes were made, but running Windows Repair 4.0.9 Pro on it. i did not select any advanced repair, only the basic 49 step set.

Any ideas?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I'm not familiar with the Server versions of Windows and not sure that the program should be run on those versions.

I've asked for advice on this.

There is a cmd you can use from a Command Prompt run as an administrator and that is netcfg -x

If you run a cmd prompt as an admin and enter netcfg /? you will see the list of cmds you can use and what they do.

However, I think I would opt for booting into Safe Mode and use the Registry Restore option in the repair program to see if that reinstates your LAN.

When you get to that pane, click on the Registry Restore tab and use the dropdown to select the back up and then hit the Restore Now button.

There are a number of things that can cause performance issues - one has already been addressed in the repairs and that is to clear the Temp folder cache.

After the restore and I can only describe the procedure for Windows so you will need to equate to your system if required, go Start - type %temp% and click on temp file folder.

If that is highly populated, press CTRL+a to highlight then CTRL+d to delete - confirm then check the box and click on Skip.

If there's still a high volume in there, then repeat the procedure.

I'd also check your Start up items as having unnecessary programs running in the background will unnecessary take up memory.

Check to see if the HDD needs defragging - you can perform a defrag by using the cmd defrag /c from an elevated cmd prompt.

An infection can also impact on performance, so a scan with a robust antimalware scanner would be advised.

In addition to my Norton Security I use the free version of MBAM - https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

You can use the standard scan but I would suggest that you click on Scan in the left pane and select Custom Scan/Configure and check the box for C:

This will do a full scan and can take a while to run.

In the pre-steps to running the repair program, did you perform a chkdsk /f or sfc /scannow from an elevated cmd prompt ?

The chkdsk will tell you if you have any bad sectors on the HDD in which case you should image your system ASAP in preparation for its complete failure and a sfc /scannow will tell you if there are any problems with your system files.

Which antivirus program are you using because some 3rd party ones can also impact on performance as they become bloated.

I've seen this reported for AVG and occasionally Avast can cause problems.

I another instance, the pro version of Bitdefender reduced on e person's machine to a crawl.

I hope that some of these suggestions will help.

Offline conram

• View Profile
If your software work on win 8, then, since it shares the base code, it should work, at least in theory, on server 2012. If you fear it would have issues with svr os then you should integrate a warning in the installer. The again I am inclined to upgrade to either 2012R2 or maybe even 2016 since rel 1709 finally comes with a gui. And an SSD.

I shall do some tests, but worst case scenario I throw it out, wipe, install and then test net use a few times before I join my workgroup again to see comm is active on the network and other shared items. I just find it odd it wont even react to ping or rdp from other client, wont even respond to a tracert but it resolves in ping and my router does find the machine on the net map.

The performance issues were unrelated to a lot of what you write, no avg or defrag or chkdsk needed or related to it, I am years beyond any of that, which you of course can't know. :) I use Eset Endpoint Protection.

One thing that helped in regards to shared fileshare was a wipe of my raid and a new setup of it.

But I am not done yet.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I can only respond to what you wrote in your opening post and as performance seemed to have been the original problem then going back to the status quo and then addressing that seemed to be the best way to go.

You are right - I don't know your level of expertise, but a golden rule of instruction is to assume that someone doesn't know unless you have taught them, so I find it best to go through the basics to see if they will help - but an infection can impact on performance and no antivirus program is 100% effective, regardless of the vendors claims.

Offline conram

• View Profile
- but an infection can impact on performance and no antivirus program is 100% effective, regardless of the vendors claims.
True of course... and I understand your position perfectly well. Been there many times before, but then mostly related to gaming software support.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
So do you intend to go back to the status quo with the registry restore option and then see what you can do about the performance issues ?

I don't know when I'll get a reply back from Shane who is the author of the program or one of the site Admins who I've also contacted regarding the running of the program on Server versions of Windows.

Offline conram

• View Profile
The performance things were fixed, I think I referred to that earlier... it is also a matter of time. I won't spend 4 hours diagnosing if I can have a new setup running in 1. After all, my server setup only handles fileshare and I have everything I need on an USB.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Okay - I'll let you know if/when I get a reply as to whether the program should be run on a Server version unless either respond in person in your thread.

Offline conram

• View Profile
Ended up wiping the OS and getting R2.

FYI.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Okay.