Author Topic: keylogger?  (Read 8897 times)

Offline peterr

• View Profile
keylogger?
« on: October 13, 2012, 04:58:44 am »
Hello
This a.m. I logged on and after the reg backup was created I read the VSS file to check time which was good.
However, I have attached a file which shows that someone seems to have written something in my word pad as I was closing it. I meant to use paint which I eventually did but perhaps it was lucky I saw this.

Can you tell from the contents if I have malware?

Thank you
Peter

Offline neroilo

• View Profile
Re: keylogger?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 09:15:19 am »
I think that your office version is collecting your data (probably written from you in previous moments), and Microsoft is asking if you want to send a selection of your data to improve their software.

If you like the idea, you can send that information to Microsoft.
I don't read anything of private there, and helping a Microsoft product is not a bad thing.

If you have a different opinion about it, you can confirm this entry in blue "Don't send, and don't ask me again".

You decide.

Offline peterr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 10:41:22 am »
Hello
I ran MSE and MBAM and the pc seems clean.
Because the material is unfamiliar I can assume it is my wife or grandchidren who wrote it.
Thank you for pointing out the option to send or not. In the future that will depend upon the content enclosed and I will most likely send it.
You and Thomas seem to be doing quite a good job helping Shane with solid replies.
I envy you as I wish I was skilled enough to do so.
Btw, I mistakenly clicked upon the unsubscribe link before coming back so I hope this reply gets posted and I remain subscribed. I should think twice before clicking once, as the saying goes.
Peter
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 10:45:25 am by peterr »

Offline neroilo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 12:41:11 pm »
Btw, I mistakenly clicked upon the unsubscribe link before coming back so I hope this reply gets posted and I remain subscribed. I should think twice before clicking once, as the saying goes.
Peter

You could restore Help Improve Proofing Tools feature in Office 2010 with a double-click on this attachment (press yes when requested).

Offline peterr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 02:54:10 pm »
Peter

>>By the above I meant I clicked "unsubscribe" in my Hotail mailbox in haste.

When I tried to click on the link you refered to which is my attachment, Office kept telling me I was going to alter registtry keys etc so I let it alone.
I hope this confusing explanation doesn't make matters worse.

Long and short, I am all set and thank you.
Peter