Author Topic: how can I launch the repair app with network access in safe mode?  (Read 4739 times)

Offline mrwoof

• View Profile
W 8.1. Issue eratic lock ups.
Ran the repair and found 740 missing packages (related to win updates it said). Ran it again and deleted the missing packages. Ran memory diagnostic & chek disk, nada!
Event viewer : ID 33.  Activation context generation failed for "C:\WINDOWS\system32\UIRibbon.dll". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.Windows.GdiPlus,language="*",processorArchitecture="*",publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df",type="win32",version="1.1.6000.16386" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.  :confused:

Currently when I update windows, it detects 6 current important,  downloads, installs however on reboot it reports failure on updates and removes them before completing the boot cycle. I get occasional dialogue box saying "Windows not responding, end process".  My question is about the Repair app. When I launch and go to Safe mode to run it, it goes off line in Safe mode. I go to the wirless settings and "Connect" to the wirless router, however I see a triangle on the wirless icon. So despite the 15+ odd minutes while in the DISM part I suspect nothing is connecting on line. So how can I launch the repair app with network access in safe mode?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: how can I launch the repair app with network access in safe mode?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 09:12:57 am »
This works for Win 10 and may work for you but from the Safe Mode desktop, press CTRL+ALT+DEL then click on the Wifi icon then on your SSID and then on Connect - left click away to close that pane then click on Cancel, but if that is approx. what you are doing then it should connect.

In Win 8/8.1 and 10 in Safe Mode, Windows disables wireless so it's just as easy to wire up to get connectivity.

Can you go Start - start to type reliability and press enter when View reliability history comes up to see if that has recorded anything for the failed updates - click on the blue info link if any and that may give you an error code.

Before running the repair program can you open a Command Prompt (Admin) in normal mode and enter these cmds -

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

The first two should report as successful and the sfc /scannow is to check if any corruption remains.

If you still have update problems then perhaps you should opt for a repair install which won't affect your personal stuff or installed programs.

However, it's advised to back up important data before proceeding.

If you don't have Win 8.1 install media then you can download the ISO from https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows8 and use https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56485 to create either a bootable DVD or USB.

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-repair-windows-8-1-installation/

As updates are default installed during the process, it may resolve your update problem.

Offline mrwoof

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 09:55:02 am »
So when I launch the repair app and enter safe mode thru it, it choses Safe mode without networking.  Odd?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 01:46:07 pm »
No - when you use the program to boot you into Safe Mode, that auto boots you into Safe Mode with Networking.

However, in Win 8.1 wireless is disabled in that mode but can be manually connected by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL on the desktop as I've described.

For the app repairs, the program needs to go online and if pressing those keys to click on your wireless icon and then your SSID to Connect, then the easiest solution is to Ethernet connect to achieve an Internet connection.