Author Topic: Why downstream speed fluctuates for PPPoe connection?  (Read 4921 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Why downstream speed fluctuates for PPPoe connection?
« on: February 06, 2018, 04:07:55 am »
Hi, PPPoe connection involves the sharing of internet access thro cable to users on a single line basis by the ISP. Here, whenever , i notice a decrease in download, if i check the router status, it shows, the same speed totally different from the promised speed of the plan, that you buy from ISP.
My query is , why it is flucturating?
does the server at the ISP is over loaded at times of a day?
Or The ISP having limited bandwidth and connections are becoming more .
I have to get 10 mbps download speed. I called the lilne man. He checked the wire and just connected them securely and asked me to check the speed. It was nearlyl 10 mpbs. After he went, the speed comes down to 7, 6 and at times 5 also.
What is the cause for this ?
Is there any real fix.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Why downstream speed fluctuates for PPPoe connection?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 04:44:23 am »
It could be Contention - the number of others online near you.

This can vary for the time of day as that can impact your speed.

Is this a wired speed you are getting or wireless.

If it's wireless then logging into the router to change the channel can sometimes resolve.

I've put forward some suggestions in your other thread which may resolve this problem, but download inSSIDer3 to see which channels other local users are using and change yours accordingly, using the Link Score as a guide.

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

Click on the Networks tab when the right pane has populated.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 05:19:32 am »
Hi, I forgot to givedetails.
I am having wired ether net connection to the modem, which lists the speed of downstream and upstream.
It is not wireless.
Would the wireless connection, my phone connection , would impact the speed of the internet ?
It is based on single customer basis, throw pppoe protocol.
Please kindly educate me on , how wireless speed or connection would reduce the internet connecion.
Moreover, if the dsl light is on, then wifi is immediately get connection and the internet light only then glows to green.
I asked the telecom staff, that my speed on any account would not be impacted  by others using, as every connection is plan specific .
i do not still understand some technical knowledge on how your speed is given thro the data line pl
how is samson and shane
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 05:43:22 am »
At peak times because there are more users online who will be sharing the line from the exchange, that will impact speeds, which is why speed tests should be done at different times of the day.

The bandwidth can also be reduced to one machine when other devices in the same home are in heavy use - say if one was streaming music or videos.

However, see if there's any improvement after resetting the router by the methods I've suggested in your other thread.