Author Topic: Solved Stuck on repair job 7  (Read 5663 times)

Offline Esawyer

• View Profile
Solved Stuck on repair job 7
« on: February 25, 2018, 09:25:59 pm »
Im new to this program but my parents gave me there old computer and I'm working on cleaning it/repairing it.  When it first checked everything it said 10,000/400,000 are messed up and need repairs.  So I expected this scan to take awhile, number 1 took almost two hours... But I've been on number 7 now for 7 hours! Is this normal?
My CPU is fluctuating between 0 and 50%, disk 0 (C:) is fluctuating between 0 and 99%, the white bars for the scan are still moving. Drive read is 0 bytes but will spyke a few KBS then go down. Drive write is around 300 KB at the moment and the CPU on the scan says 9-11%. 
Is it still running.. Should I stop the scan and skip number 7? Its repair internet explorer.

The last prompt in the grey box says parameter format not correct-the filename or extension is to long.

No not in safe mode right now
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 01:07:39 am by Esawyer »

Offline Esawyer

• View Profile
Re: Stuck on repair job 7
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 09:38:24 pm »
Update.  It just said the repair failed and it started again under system account with alot more activity in my administrator box. Fingers crossed.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 12:49:29 am »
As it's an old computer I would have started with a chkdsk /r to check the status of the HDD and then performed a sfc /scannow to check the file system if the chkdsk /r didn't report any KBs in bad sectors - have you done these pre-steps.

However, I'm not sure where you got the report that 10,000/400,000 items are messed up.

If they relate to the Package/Cat and Mum files then perhaps you would be better off factory resetting it so you're starting from scratch.

This will take it back to out of the box and then you will need  to uninstall any bloatware that came preinstalled, including the trial version of whichever antivirus program was installed, using its uninstaller before you can install your own preference.

As the Package files relate to updates, then with an out of the box machine you would be installing all of the updates from scratch and that should resolve any Package file problems.

Offline Esawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 01:06:48 am »
(Solved)
It sped threw the rest of the scan and is almost done now, I tried to do reset but when I attempted to the computer would crash for 20 min.  I'm running this program to get back any os, or important files in the computer so if I try the reset again I hope it does not crash this time.

I even ran the cleaner program before tweaker but that crashed as well... Tweaker has been fixing ALOT of the computer and saving it :)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Solved Stuck on repair job 7
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 02:51:36 am »
When the repair program has completed, you can view its logs by clicking on Settings and then on Log Location, but I would still perform a chkdsk /r to ascertain the status of the HDD.

You can also download the trial version of HDSentinel which will give you a written report on the internal HDD as well as any external drives you may want to plug in.

When done, uninstall HDSentinel which will stop the clock on the 30 day trial and then you can run it as and when by using the setup.exe in your Downloads folder.

https://www.hdsentinel.com/download.php

Scroll down to the Download Limited Trial and select v5.01 (Zip).