Author Topic: USB devices not automatically installing anymore.  (Read 6688 times)

Offline Militarytaja

• View Profile
USB devices not automatically installing anymore.
« on: October 17, 2012, 01:20:39 pm »
I am having a problem with new USB devices needing Administrator rights to install.  Also the installer needs to be manually pointed to the inf folder.  This started happening at some point about a month ago.  I think there was a malware issue which has been removed.  All previously used USB sticks work fine, as well as my mouse and keyboard.  I f I try to insert any new USB devices they wont automatically install as I said above.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: USB devices not automatically installing anymore.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 02:45:55 pm »
Do they install as in getting the drivers loaded? (Are they in the device manager)

Or do they install but are not getting a drive letter?

Shane

Offline Russ1073

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 09:50:58 am »
I believe I too am now having this problem.  I had a bug and removed it.  then a few weeks later, I lost my hard drive.  Chkdsk not not help your problems did not help.  So I got out a older hard drive and plugged into my laptop to clean it up was working fine,  within a few day it too failed.  Only would show the drive letter.  Today my external drive died.  Only showing the letter.  running now chkdsk G: /x /b showing 4 clusters bad also showing index, and usn journal with the problems.  Believe I seen this before the other 2 failed.  I used you tweek program on 2 of the 3 disk, and if I remember there was something about turning off index to speed up the sys.  Could this be killing my drives?  using vista.

Offline Militarytaja

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 10:13:51 am »
When inserting a new USB drive the hardware install wizard pops up.  It askes for administrator to logon to install.  Then the admin has to manually point to the .inf folder to find the driver.

oth these conditions are abnormal.  USB thumb drives should just install themselves in XP or 7.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 11:48:47 am »
Your right, I have never seen Windows do that before.

Try this for a test. Make a new user on the system and then log into that user, make sure the user is an administrator of course.

When logged into the new user try the usb again.

If the program still happens then we know it is something with the system as a whole.
If it works fine then we know it is something with your profile on the system :wink:

Shane