Author Topic: Win 1803 ran Tweaking, now windows update does not work on both laptops  (Read 12377 times)

Offline jg1234

• View Profile
I installed win 10 ver 1803   I ran latest tweaking.com ver 4.0.18 and now both laptops will not run windows update error:

There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x80070006)

This error for 2 days now.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Open the program and click on Backup Tools then on Restore under Registry Backup - Restore Registry then use the dropdown to select the dated back up and hit Restore Now.

What was the reason you ran the repair program ?

Which updates are failing if you've already updated to 1803 ?

Have you run the Windows Update Troubleshooter - Start - Settings cog - Update & Security - Troubleshoot

I haven't run 4.0.18 on my Win 10 yet.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I'm not sure how Windows Repair would have changed this but this article deals with that error code - https://superuser.com/questions/1195688/windows-update-error-0x80070006?utm_medium=organic&utm_source=google_rich_qa&utm_campaign=google_rich_qa

Let me know if that article fixes your problem and I'll pass your complaint on.

Offline jg1234

• View Profile
I did a system restore to before I ran Tweaking and both computers are working correctly again.  I did not try the second option, looked to difficult.   Will wait for you to fix problem.
Thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I'm going to check the status of my wuauserv and then run the Windows Repair program to see how it leaves mine.

As well as creating a restore point, I've also created a Macrium image as a fall back.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
While I had problems getting the right click Start menu items to open after the restart, wuauserv is still showing as Shared Process.

I didn't include the App repairs in my selection as I didn't want the program defaulting those.

However, as this affected two machines for you, I'll pass on your complaint, but can you run the program again with the App repairs unchecked to see if that changes anything for you.

I assume you ran the program on each machine in Safe Mode with Networking

Offline jg1234

• View Profile
I just click your supplied button "Reboot to safe mode"  then it restarts and I run step 2, 3, then 4 then repairs, open main, then start repairs.  when completed it says to restart.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I don't know if not doing the Apps repairs gave me a different result, but I don't like running those repairs on Win 10.

Do you fancy running the repair program again with those repairs left out ?

It took about 1hr 45mins from start to the restart prompt for me.

Offline jg1234

• View Profile
Well I was bored.  My system was working GREAT!   So I decided to run your program again, and again in changed something that stopped manual windows update AGAIN.  So I reinstalled win 10 build 1803 and tried manual updates and it works again.    That's 3 computers now your program stopped manual windows update. 

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Did you run the program with the Apps repair boxes unchecked as I asked ?

Does Event Viewer record anything for when Windows Update doesn't work ?

Offline jg1234

• View Profile
Your stock configuration.  27.01 is checked.  Not 27.02   I did not look at event viewer then.  I looked now and it appears to have deleted all events prior to reinstall.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
If you've ran WR since the reinstall and that screwed your updates, then it should have recorded something, I would have thought.

I uncheck 27.02 as well as the default unchecked 27.01

Create a restore point and run WR with those two boxes unchecked to see if it still screws your updates.

Offline AlphaStealthHWSW

• View Profile
I hate to say it, but I have run the latest Windows Repair on two of my PCs (both updated to 1803) and both cannot do an install from Microsoft Store nor do a Windows update.  I did a clean install on one which was time consuming.  And I just ran the tool on my gaming PC and now that PC has the same issue...not a happy camper right now...

I resolved the problem with both PCs by running a DISM repair of Windows 10:

Using DISM with the RestoreHearlh option

Use the DISM command with the /RestoreHealth switch to scan the Windows image for any corruption and to perform a repair automatically. Unlike the /ScanHealth switch, the /RestoreHealth switch can take up to 20 minutes to complete the process.

To run the command do the following:
1. Use the Windows key + X keyboard shortcut to open the Power User menu and select Command Prompt (Admin).
2. Type the following command and press Enter:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Everything fine now, but I am not running the Windows Tweaking tool until the real problem is addressed....

AlphaStealthHWSW
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 12:30:24 pm by AlphaStealthHWSW, Reason: Additional Info »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I'm sorry to hear that.

I'll email my Support to see if any progress has been made on this.

Have you tried the Registry restore facility in the program to see if that resolves which may negate the need for a clean install ?

A repair install however is an alternative to a clean install and doesn't affect personal stuff or installed programs.

To perform that, open Windows Explorer - This PC - insert the install media and double click on its drive.

This will start the process if using a DVD but will open to the files when using an USB where you would then double click on setup Application.

Offline shayanhe

• View Profile
I also encountered this error on my laptop. Running DISM with RestoreHealth option did not help.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I'll pass this on as it still seems to be happening, but given the few who have experienced this and I have been unable to replicate it on my Win 10 - I'm not sure if the cause can be nailed down.

If the program's registry restore facility doesn't get you back to where it was then I suggest you also perform a repair install.

What was the reason you ran the repair program ?

Offline AlphaStealthHWSW

• View Profile
OK, I now have a third PC that was updated to 1803, worked fine including update function, then I ran  Then Windows Repair Tool and now that third PC gives me an error on update.  Sadly I tried to do a DISM repair and that did not work (this time).  The first PC was repaired by doing a clean install.  The second PC had unrepairable issues when SFC was run but did fix all the issue when a DISM repair was run.  It looks like I am going to have to do a clean install on this third PC...I wish the admin at Tweaking.com would recognize that the tool is causing an issue on 1803 systems.  Too many of us have had the same issue...

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
OK, I now have a third PC that was updated to 1803, worked fine including update function, then I ran  Then Windows Repair Tool and now that third PC gives me an error on update.  Sadly I tried to do a DISM repair and that did not work (this time).  The first PC was repaired by doing a clean install.  The second PC had unrepairable issues when SFC was run but did fix all the issue when a DISM repair was run.  It looks like I am going to have to do a clean install on this third PC...I wish the admin at Tweaking.com would recognize that the tool is causing an issue on 1803 systems.  Too many of us have had the same issue...

Can you post the make & models of the computers affected and can I suggest you perform a repair install instead of a clean install.

A repair install doesn't affect personal stuff or installed programs so will be less time consuming.

Offline AlphaStealthHWSW

• View Profile
I had my third Windows 10 Pro 1803 PC develop this issue.  It turned out I had a system restore file from just before the 1803 update, so I restored to that state and then ran the Windows Repair tool version that was part of the system, updated drivers and then updated windows up to and including the 1803 update (12 hours of effort).  Everything checks out and works now, but I am reluctant to update and run the Windows Repair tool until I see a solution to this issue be released...

Offline AlphaStealthHWSW

• View Profile
"Can you post the make & models of the computers affected and can I suggest you perform a repair install instead of a clean install."

OK, the PCs effected are:  1)  HP Touchsmart 300 AIO running Windows 10 Pro OS, 2) MSI GX70 3BE Laptop running Windows 10 Pro OS and 3) Brand new custom built Gaming PC (ASUS X370 MB, Ryzen 1800X, Samsung 960 pro 512gb, RX 560 GPU) running Windows 10 Pro OS.

As you can see they are all different HW generations and models running  Windows 10 Pro OS.  I have another 5 Windows 10 Pro 1803 PCs in the family that I am holding off running Windows Repair tool until I see a solution...

I ended up finding a pre-1803 system restore file and restored to that state - still took awhile - 12 hours...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 01:41:24 pm by AlphaStealthHWSW »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Thanks for that.

I wonder if Win 10 Pro is the determining factor - perhaps the other members in this thread could post their version of Win 10 they are using.

Offline AlphaStealthHWSW

• View Profile
Strange...crickets...but it is not a figment of my imagination...I may have to sacrifice one of my PCs and run the latest WR tool and see if the Windows update issue is present....I hate to do it for a fourth time and experience the issue yet again...

AlphaStealthHWSW

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
It isn't just Win 10 Pro 1803 - I ran WR last night on my Win 10 Home 1803 and it screwed my Windows Update as well.

I was also unable to access services.msc as I got a pop up alert that admin had blocked mmc.exe for my own safety and this would have blocked anything else that required mmc.exe.

I've passed this on as requiring urgent attention.

I created a Macrium Reflect system image before I ran the program so I was able to revert those changes.

Why do you need to run WR ?

Offline jg1234

• View Profile
When is TWEAKING going to address this problem.   I have seen NO mention in updates that they have address this problem.   Afraid to run until know fix.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
This is still under investigation.

What problems do you have that you need to run WR ?

If you do have problems that the dism and sfc /scannow cmds will not fix, then I would suggest that you perform a repair install which doesn't affect personal stuff or installed programs.

However, it's always best to perform at least a chkdsk /f first to see if it reports any KBs in bad sectors.