Author Topic: Windows Repair - Extremely SLOW start up  (Read 4071 times)

Offline gr3gw

• View Profile
Windows Repair - Extremely SLOW start up
« on: May 18, 2018, 06:54:12 pm »
I can appreciate the need to check the validity of the component files of Windows Repair but is it really necessary EVERY SINGLE TIME? There's no skip option and if, at the end of the check it finds a new update to install, it does it all again. It takes about five minutes on my machine to do the validity check.  Also, when it finishes the dialog completely hides the next dialog which is to load the program.

Am I the only one to get frustrated by this action?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Repair - Extremely SLOW start up
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 02:21:45 am »
Is there anything else on your machine that is slow to load, although mine can seem that way.

The program is designed to check its files on start so having installed a newer version, it will check again when that starts up.

I have a couple of problems with mine.

When it has done its check and Done comes up, it doesn't always go onto the next stage and I have to red cross that window to progress.

The other thing is when I get the notification of an update and I accept it, the update window opens up behind the main one.

These are some things I accept.

Offline gr3gw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 03:51:48 pm »

You are a patient man, Boggin. My machine is not the fastest but it has mostly acceptable speed. Starting Windows repair takes longer than my boot sequence, it really is a long time.

My suggestion is that Tweaking.Com make the validation check optional just as they do for running in Safe Mode. They can issue a stern warning against not checking but in the end , leave it to the user.

Another suggestion: check for updates BEFORE doing the validation check.

The file validation check dialog should have an OKAY button to indicate that the check is completed. The text message 'Done!' is too small and easily goes un-noticed.

Windows Repair does some really good stuff, I like to use it when my machine is exhibiting strange un-explainable behavours.

Offline gr3gw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 03:58:18 pm »
Update:

Just discovered  I can turn OFF Check for updates at startup in the Settings panel. I can now see that the 'There is a new version' message is informative rather than one that results in the update being downloaded.  My mistake.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 12:45:59 am »
I hadn't noticed that option before - while I am selective in the repairs it runs, I tend to run it with default settings.

As for the validation check, I've occasionally experienced just as a member on here has, that it failed the validation check and the program needed to be reinstalled.

I don't know why that happens, but Shane is obviously aware that it can and included that check in its start up procedure.

If you could run the program when it was corrupt and gave you problems, would you know what the cause was ?

Any diagnostics/repairs will take the time it takes, so I think a degree of patience is required when carrying out such procedures.

The longest I've heard of a chkdsk /r to complete is 36hrs - how would you handle something like that ?