Author Topic: lost files  (Read 16331 times)

Offline qaz

• View Profile
lost files
« on: June 29, 2018, 11:49:29 am »
hi
win repairs says ive got 3 files missing so i cant run

any help appreciated

Missing File: Files\Permissions\10\windows.7z
Missing File: Files\registry_backup_tool\Codejock.Controls.Unicode.v17.2.0.ocx
Missing File: msinet.ocx

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: lost files
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 02:22:25 pm »
Have you ran an antimalware scan to check if your machine has been infected ?

Have you performed the pre steps of running a chkdsl /r and a sfc /scannow ?

Can you use Tweaking.com's uninstaller to remove the program and then download it again to see if you get the same error.

Offline qaz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 11:40:33 am »
hi
done all except chkdsl /r and a sfc /scannow. how can an new install help missing files
thanx

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 02:35:29 pm »
I think those missing files relate to the program, so an uninstall/reinstall may resolve - has it ?

To see what the chkdsk /r reported, open Event Viewer and ensure Event Viewer (Local) is highlighted in the left pane - if it isn't then just click on it.

When it has finished reading the data and you see Critical, Error etc. expand Windows Logs in the left pane - click on Application - Action/Find then type chkdsk or wininit into the Find box and press enter.

Cancel the Find box and read the log in the scrollable window below.

You are looking to see if it reports any KBs in bad sectors.

Also let us know what the sfc /scannow reports.

Offline qaz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 05:01:05 am »
yes a new instal worked...thanx. did a chhdisc [both checks plus repair] but could catch the report.

importantly  i have another problem u may be able to assist with if u have time. cant get linux or windows pe disc [made at Aomei backup site to restore Aomei images] to boot, but other disks are ok.

some error about communicating with the attached drive

is this correct connection pls: h/d to sata 0 and optical drive to sata 1 [nothing else]

thanx

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 05:33:37 am »
Glad to see the reinstall sorted that missing file problem.

Just used to using laptops, I'm not into desktop hardware of things.

If this not communicating error is a recent thing then I would say the way you have them connected is fine, but you could run a chkdsk /r on the ext. drive.

The cmd would be chkdsk x: /r where x is your drive letter for the ext. drive.

It's report would remain on screen without the need for a reboot to execute.

As for checking to see what the chkdsk /r reported for the internal HDD, open Event Viewer ensuring Event Viewer (Local) is highlighted in the left pane, expand Windows Logs when it has read the data then click on Application/Action/Find then type chkdsk or wininit into the Find box and press enter.

Cancel the Find box then read the log in the scrollable window below, noting if it reports any KBs in bad sectors.

Offline qaz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 05:39:44 am »
dont understand  how could i run a chkdsk /r on the ext. drive....its an optical drive!
thanks
i can post a jpeg of error i got

Offline qaz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 07:05:22 am »
error, thanx for looking

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 08:11:57 am »
I was under the impression that it couldn't communicate with an ext. HDD that you had the image on.

You could try creating new disks or put them onto USBs which could eliminate the DVD drive.

Offline qaz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 08:55:20 am »
yes ur right image is on usb hhd, i need linux or pe to access it at boot time

i could make new disc but ive got several linux disks which don't work either, and a couple of others that do. do u still think next step is make new disk?

any ideas about the photo i posted above?

thanx
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 08:57:14 am by qaz »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2018, 09:13:57 am »
If it relates to an USB ext. HDD then you could run a chkdsk on it but you can also download the 30 trial version of HDSentinel which will analyze all connected HDDs and give a written report on them.

https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_sentinel_trial.php

Hit the Download button and select Save and then you can extract it in your Downloads folder and then uninstall it when done to stop the clock and then reinstall it from there as and when.

It's interesting that some disks work and some don't which could point to either the disks or the disk drive.

I'd start by creating either new disks or put the PEs onto USBs.

Offline qaz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2018, 09:40:40 am »
am sure ive failed to explain well. image is on usb drive but to install it i need to boot from linux or pe.

connection to the usb drive is fine far as i know. i dont know what the error msg  relates to other than the optical drive, can u make sense of it
thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2018, 09:49:05 am »
I use Macrium Reflect Free and have to boot up with a WPE disk to load the program and then I connect my ext. HDD.

The error message could relate to either a disk drive or ext. HDD.

At what point does the message pop up ?

Try HDSentinel and if that gives your ext. HDD a clean bill of health then see if new disks will work, but I'd try putting the PE onto an USB and then see what you get.

Offline qaz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 10:00:27 am »
heres the report but im not understanding something , im sure. that msg pops up after i tell it to boot from pe disk. i will simply unplug the usb drive then its out of the evasion

c drive is perfect apparently

yes i will put pe on a memory stick tomorrow and let u know
thanks

Hard disk case: weak sectors
There are weak sectors found on the hard disk surface.

This example shows the status of a Seagate 250 GB SATA hard disk.
Hard disk problems reported

increased boot times, blue screen (BSOD) during boot, system restore required

files / folders hardly or slowly accessed or even can't be read at all

chkdsk / scandisk reported "bad sectors" on the partition

First hard disk checks

Initially, the hard disk health reported was 81 %. The text description shows the actual problems with the hard disk:

There are 31 weak sectors found on the disk surface. They may be remapped any time in the later use of the disk.

The Disk -> Short self test and Disk -> Extended self test functions quickly stop with an error indicating that there is a problem:
Test failed by read element

Using chkdsk to "repair" the bad sectors also confirm that there is a problem with the partition (notice the 13928 KB in bad sectors):
CHKDSK shows bad sectors
Hard disk weak sectors

A "weak sector" or "pending sector" (the same but with different name) is a sector where the CRC check showed problems on a read operation, but (currently) no physical problem encountered. The drive marks such sector as "pending sector" and on next write operation(s) the drive verifies the status of the corresponding sector to confirm if it can be re-used or not.

If things are good, the drive sector could read back and there are no signs of problems, then the status of the sector set back to normal (the number of such weak sectors may decrease and there is no re-allocation). But if this verification shows failure, then the drive starts the reallocation process and marks the sector as bad - to completely disable its later use and re-direct all further reads and writes to the spare area instead. Then the number of bad (reallocated) sectors may incrase and they may be reported in Hard Disk Sentinel.

Usually, weak sectors can be caused by

real drive failure (error with internal memory, problem with drive head or surface)

power loss (the write operation could not be completed because of power loss)

power failure (weak power supply or not stable power line)

data cable failure or improper connection (usually cause also communication errors )

system memory or motherboard problem

overclocking

general overheating of the motherboard, chipset, hard disk controller

Because weak sectors may not indicate real failure of the hard disk drive, they are not counted as seriously as real bad sectors or other attributes / issues. Anyway, these should be noticed also because they can cause serious problems if they are located in the administrative areas of the hard disk drive (boot record, MFT, critical system files) and/or if the number of weak sectors is high.

This may sound weird, but in most cases the weak sectors do not indicate real problems with the hard disk. As a side effect, chkdsk may detect bad sectors on the actual partition (logical drive) and marks them as bad to prevent accessing that particular logical drive area. However, this is not the best solution because chkdsk does not repair the hard disk drive itself, only the partition (the logical drive). It means that if a re-partition and re-format would be ever required, the problems are still there, the problematic sectors would be used again, they may cause data loss / corruption again and re-running chkdsk may find them again - a vicious circle.
Not stable hard disk status

When weak sectors reported by Hard Disk Sentinel, the first thing to be considered that the problem may not be the failure of the hard disk itself, but a problem caused by the operating environment. It is recommended to check the items listed above, replace data / power cables, verify the power supply. If this does not happen, we may expect further weak sectors to be detected during the later use of the hard disk. For example, if the status is not stable, performing even an antivirus scan or using Disk -> Read Test function may reveal further "weak sectors" on the hard disk surface. Notice that the number of red spots (unreadable sectors, showing the position of the weak sectors) are higher than the previously reported weak sectors:
Read test shows new problems on hard disk surface
Repair weak sectors

To completely repair weak sectors, it is required to perform the overwrite of the disk surface. This would ensure that the currently reported and all possible new (currently not detected) weak sectors would be carefully re-tested and the hard disk can perform the required steps: to reallocate the sector (if it can't be re-used and required to replace with a spare sector) or to repair it if the sector can be re-used without problems. The best way is to perform the overwrite with special initialisation patterns to help the hard disk to perform the verification of the underlying weak sectors and test if the sector is usable and works accurately after different overwrite passes and then could be read back without problems.

The Disk menu -> Surface test -> Reinitialise disk surface is the best way to repair the hard disk. The test permanently fixes the weak sectors and make the hard disk drive more usable in general.

After using Disk menu -> Surface test -> Reinitialise disk surface test, the hard disk status will be stable and the complete surface can be used without problems. Ideally, absolutely no reallocation required: the hard disk may return to PERFECT status and 100% health would be reported again:

The hard disk status is PERFECT. Problematic or weak sectors were not found and there are no spin up or data transfer errors.

Re-running the Disk -> Extended self-test function confirms that now there are no problems:
Disk -> Extended self-test successfully completed

Re-running the Disk -> Surface test -> Read test function also confirms that the disk surface is now perfect, there are no damaged or bad blocks found:
Read test shows there are no problems on hard disk surface

And even the performance graph shows that the complete hard disk surface is correctly accessible, without any significant delays:
Read test shows the performance

And re-running chkdsk to check and repair bad sectors would show no bad sectors (notice the 0 KB in bad sectors):
CHKDSK shows 0 KB in bad sectors
Recommendations

The best way is to prevent weak sectors. When they reported, Hard Disk Sentinel can help to diagnose and repair them, usually they can be completely repaired with Hard Disk Sentinel by using Disk -> Surface test -> Reinitialise disk surface test.

Consider using high quality cables, for example SATA cables with SATA 6G designation (especially if you prefer to use a SATA 6G device)

Avoid using power cable extenders, Y power splitters, 4 pin -> SATA power cable converters

Use good quality power supply with higher output rating to make sure the drives would get enough power to operate correctly

Consider using an UPS to prevent power spikes / power loss which can cause weak sectors

Consider extra cooling for the system in general, especially if you use high-level video cards and/or other devices producing excessive heat

When weak sectors reported, start Disk -> Surface test -> Read test in Hard Disk Sentinel and save the resulting disk surface map before starting Disk -> Surface test -> Reinitialise disk surface test. This way after repairing the hard disk drive, if "weak sectors" would be reported again in the future, running Disk -> Surface test -> Read test again would confirm the situation: if the problem is reported in the same block on the hard disk surface area, it may be related to the hard disk itself, but if the issue is reported in other areas (usually random areas as shown in this example), the status may be more related to the operating environment - not the actual hard disk drive.

It is good idea to test and repair the hard disk drive in a completely different environment: connecting the hard disk to a different computer where different power supply, hard disk controller, devices, drivers used.

Update in version 5.00 : Disk Repair test

Hard Disk Sentinel Pro since 5.00 version has a new function designed exactly to repair such weak sectors on any disk drive (hard disks, SSDs, flash media and so) without the need of complete backup and without performing disk erase. The new Disk menu -> Surface test -> Disk repair test designed to diagnose and attempt to repair easier by performing a read test - and attempting the repair specifically on the affected sectors found problematic during this test. After the test, possible damaged files (located on the original problematic, damaged sectors) listed for reference.

Ideally Disk menu -> Surface test -> Disk repair test can help to repair drive completely, especially if the number of problems are relatively low and the hard disk is stable otherwise. In case of bigger problems and/or if weak sectors still reported, it is recommended to perform the above check-list (verify cables, connections, power source etc. and then re-run the Disk repair function) and if required, consider using the Reinitialise disk surface test too.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2018, 02:27:41 pm »
From what I understand from the HDS report, the surface test resolved any errors on the HDD ?

Have you checked the connections etc. as it advises ?

When you remove the ext. HDD after putting an image onto it, do you just unplug it or use the safe to eject function as you should do ?

When you boot up from a disk and you have an ext. HDD plugged in, it can confuse the machine and cause boot problems.

Offline qaz

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2018, 01:00:43 am »
g/morning

am at it again. tried to make another PE on  memory stick but got an error . i think its related to the fact that if i try to make a new folder on desktop or move a file into one i get error: cant find item. no longer located in c: desktop. verify location and try again. when i try again it always succeeds

in properties the folder appears to be on c: even before i "try again"

any ideas appreciated
thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2018, 01:19:39 am »
Reboot and try the pe onto the USB again without doing anything else.

I assume the program allows for the pe to be put onto an USB ?

Offline qaz

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2018, 01:35:04 am »
its called a pe builder , i saw no option to put on usb.

but i fixed the "no longer located in c: desktop." by restoring registry in win tweaking, i recall make changes i didn't fully understand.

anyway im back to the error when trying to install pe builder, error msg: error while trying to rename file in destination directory. move file failed. try again

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2018, 01:54:02 am »
Let's see if you can make a bootable USB from the PE disk using Diskpart.

This article will walk you through the steps, but first check that the drive can read the disk by inserting it to see if it comes up in Windows Explorer and then double clicking on its drive to open to the files.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln153692/how-to-transfer-your-operating-system-from-a-cd-dvd-to-a-bootable-usb?lang=en

Offline qaz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2018, 06:35:02 am »
retraced my steps, am trying to put pe on a bootable usb stick but no luck, [apparently it can be done] . cant install pe environment either , do u know what it is and whether i need it?

i should be able to do these surely even if i take ur advice and put the pe disc un usb using Diskpart
thanx

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2018, 08:04:15 am »
I don't know the program so I can't advise you about the pe installer - I use Macrium Reflect Free.

Have you checked to see if it can be done in Safe Mode With Networking ?

The Diskpart steps are clearly described if you still have problems in that mode.

Offline qaz

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2018, 09:31:09 am »
was just about to go and use diskpart, but i opened Aomie and to my surprise it started installing the failed pe environment and then pe ....aghhh . these Chinese are well meaning but there English causes so many problems often. i gave up with them last time:)

anyway all is well now it seems except i need to find why pe install didnt see my usb, i'll run tweaking repair

thanx very much for ur help
mark

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2018, 09:35:24 am »
Before you do that, does the pe disk boot up now for you to restore with an image ?

Offline qaz

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2018, 10:01:19 am »
when i returned from shops it had done that after a new full backup , but will check tomorrow

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2018, 02:24:21 pm »
Weren't you wanting to restore from an earlier image ?