Author Topic: Win 10 Computer Constantly must have File - Folder Permissions Reset  (Read 6292 times)

Offline coover

• View Profile
My wife depends on me to keep her computer running properly and she constantly seems to have "Permissions" problems. She cannot save Word Files is an example of her problems. Another is the failure of her Quicken 2010 application from populating. Tweaking.com's Windows Repair always fixes the problems, but they reoccur constantly ... my guess is (I am not sure of this) that every time she shuts down her machine and reboots the problems return. She then reports the problem to me and I run the "Permissions" repair (1, 2, and 3) part of Windows Repair. Everything is fine again until ... well, I'm not sure, maybe a reboot?

Anybody have any ideas about this? I do not want to do this, but I'm thinking about wiping the drive and reinstalling everything, but I'd prefer a less drastic repair.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Win 10 Computer Constantly must have File - Folder Permissions Reset
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 02:19:39 pm »
I don't have an answer for the Quicken problem unless it associated with the Permissions problem, but if a program isn't performing the way it should, then an uninstall/reinstall of it usually does the trick.

Not sure if the permissions problem could be a corrupt profile but instead of going to the extreme of a wipe and reinstall, see if a repair install will resolve the permissions problem.

This doesn't affect personal stuff or installed programs but you will need Win 10 install media.

You can create an install DVD or USB after reading the instructions at https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

When you've done that and with the machine booted up, open Windows Explorer - This PC - insert the install media and double click on its drive.

This will start the process if using a DVD but will open to the files when using an USB where you would then double click on setup Application.

It defaults to keeping your stuff during the process and this takes about 3½hrs on my Win 10 machines.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 02:34:56 pm by Boggin »

Offline coover

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 04:43:06 pm »
Just this AM, the Windows Repair "Permissions" (repair 1, 2, and 3) was run to repair my wifes problem saving Word files and after the repair, all her quicken files became visible opening the application, so that problem was fixed (probably temporarily) with something done during job 1, job 2 , and/or job 3. I shall try the "repair install". I do have a copy of build 17134 on a bootable USB stick, and a copy of the latest cumulative update to that, 17134.165 on another USB stick (having 8 Windows 10 computers almost necessitates downloading these once and saving them rather than downloading them 8 times).

Thanks for the suggestion, I should have thought it myself, but somehow overlooked that solution. I'll give myself 30 lashes with a wet noodle for punishment. 

Offline coover

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 06:33:36 pm »
OK, I have run the "repair install" as you suggested, and have updated it back to 17134.165 (yesterday's cumulative update). Everyhthing looks good now. She has no problems saving files. her Quicken opens as it should. And I just hope that 3 days from now she doesn't wake me from my morning dreams and tell me she cannot save any files (again).

Oh, by the way ... my kudos to Tweaking.com for their great software. I've been using it for years and it has saved my behind many times. It's about time I purchase the license. They've earned their money.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 12:57:12 am »
Let's hope that has done the job and thanks for the update.

The proof will be if the repair holds after subsequent restarts.

I'm sure Shane will appreciate your support by you getting the Pro version.

Offline mikesmith832

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 08:14:11 am »
Sometime Quicken Support helps to the users for this problem

Offline coover

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 11:09:50 am »
My guess is that Quicken Support would not be interested in helping somebody with 8 year old software.

By the way, my wife has had no problems with permissions since the OS reset.