Author Topic: printer ports  (Read 5347 times)

Offline kdent

• View Profile
printer ports
« on: September 25, 2018, 05:01:35 pm »
I ran the restore Default Printer Ports and after I ran it my printer quit.It is a wireless canon MX472 it is hook up to the network just find.I ran diagnosis and it said printer ports settings is incorrect ??? I did reinstall the whole package,but did not help, when I go to devices and printer go to the printer right click go to properties go to hardware there is nothing????? I can get it to print using and USB cable but not wireless thanks for any help  I'am using windows 10 PRO alienware Area 51

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: printer ports
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 01:33:38 am »
Did you fully uninstall the printer before reinstalling ?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 08:08:31 am »
If an uninstall/reinstall hasn't resolved, you could try your restore points.

You can also right click on the Start button and go to Device Manger, expand Printers then right click on your printer and select Properties/Settings/Devices and Printers Folder.

Right click on your printer and select Printer properties (that is different to Properties) - click on Ports where you should be able to reset to the correct port.

Mine is listed as EpsonNet Print Port.

Offline kdent

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 03:52:02 pm »
Yes I think I got uninstalled and put back in.I just hooked up and USB cable to print out your page .Went to device manager found printer sorry no ports up plug it and printer goes away?? Also I went to my router web page and saw my printer.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 12:30:45 am »
Yes, my printer is no longer listed in Device Manager when it is switched off.

Does the printer show as a wireless or LAN device in your router ?

This article pretty much describes the steps I have to check the ports but gives the name you need to set it as.

https://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/Manual/W/MX470%20series/EN/UG/ug_trouble2200.html

The attached pic is what I see when I go to the Devices and Printers Folder where I right click on the Network one.

I don't know why you aren't seeing any ports even when USB connected.

Which program did you use to reset the ports ?

Offline kdent

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 07:16:58 am »
no my printer does not say Network but I have two of them?? I did find by ports in windows settings/Devices I have it set on CNBJ canon BJ Network click on configure port and it saids no item to be set for this port???? I have not checked my router yet but it was your program that I used to reset my ports

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 08:51:57 am »
On mine the Network one is set as the default printer - if I right clicked on the greyed out one and set that as the default, then the printer wouldn't work.

I don't see how the program reset your ports as it only repairs the Print Spooler and it has never changed my printer settings.

Was any of the ports highlighted before you selected the Canon one.

Can you go Start - type services and press enter when it comes up then scroll down to Print Spooler to see that it shows as Running and Automatic.

Let's see if using the program to restore your registry settings back to the way they were before you ran the repairs will help.

Switch the printer off then open the repair program and use it to boot into Safe Mode with Networking.

Open the program and click on Backup Tools then on Restore under Registry Backup - Restore Registry - then use the dropdown to click on the dated one that was created prior to running the repairs then hit Restore Now.

Restart to see if wireless to the printer has been restored.

Offline kdent

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 09:37:06 am »
Got it fixed it took a little widows repair and and new driver from canon thanks for all your help..........Scott

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2018, 09:39:06 am »
Glad to see that you are sorted.