Author Topic: Windows Repair killed my MS Office 365  (Read 3890 times)

Offline mecg

• View Profile
Windows Repair killed my MS Office 365
« on: October 12, 2018, 09:57:49 am »
Purchased and used 2 licenses of Windows Repair Pro on my 2 computers and now neither computer will run any of the MS Office 365 programs.  Repairing the Office installations fails.  Uninstalling them for a fresh install fails. 

I'm running up-to-date Windows 10 1809 Pro on one computer and Home on the other.  I followed all the rules and ran Windows Repair in Safe Mode and backed up everything before doing anything.  After discovering my Office programs won't run I've run sfc and dism and no errors.  Tried restoring the backed up registry, which was backed up before doing any tweaks with Windows Repair.  Nothing is working to get my Office programs back up and running.

I'm seriously not impressed.

Any clue as to what I need to do to fix this mess?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Repair killed my MS Office 365
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 01:45:40 pm »
I'll pass this onto Shane, but can you look in Event Viewer to see if any Error is recorded with a date and time stamp shortly after trying to open Office.

Restoring with the registry back up should have put things back.

Offline mecg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 01:53:45 pm »
Nope.  I've reimaged the hard drive on my main computer to get it to work correctly again (and be able to conduct business!) and managed to get Office uninstalled on the Windows 10 Home computer and am about to reinstall it, after uninstalling the Windows Repair Pro program - never to see the light of day in this office, again.

Please have the programmer contact me regarding a refund for both licenses, ASAP.  Failing that I will go through the CC for refunds. 

Thanks.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 02:09:35 pm »
I've emailed Shane about your problem but can you email jpm at [email protected] regarding your demand for a refund.

He'll need some details from you.

Offline mecg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 02:10:24 pm »
Thanks.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 03:09:14 pm »
I always create a Macrium system image before I test run each new version rather than relying upon any back ups the program has made.

Offline mecg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 05:33:43 am »
I use Acronis True Image as well as Carbonite to bail me out of situations like this.  Between those 2 things and restore points and one reinstall of Office 365 I'm back in business.  I've sent a note to Shane explaining what happened and that I've recovered from the disaster of yesterday.  I also said that I think there is an issue with using Safe Mode with Windows Repair Pro in that after rebooting normally something is set somewhere that makes Windows thinks it's still in Safe Mode, to some degree.  I'm not sure how or why that is, but it explains why my computers were so crippled and useless after running the program and rebooting, normally.  The reason why Office quit is because the Click to Run service refused to start and gave me an error message that it doesn't work while Windows is in Safe Mode.  That surprising error message told me what was going on, just now how or why.

Anyways, all is good now and I've even reinstalled Repair Pro on both of my computers and did some of the tweaks that the program offers.  I just didn't do any of them in Safe Mode.  All is working perfectly.

Thanks and have a good weekend!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 08:15:33 am »
I was wondering about that when I did a test run of 4.3.0 in that after the reboot I was unable to boot into the advanced boot options.

I'd passed my experience onto Shane, so he may have found that as the cause and is working on a solution.

Anyway, glad to see that all is good now and thanks for the update.