Author Topic: Google Chrome blocking Tweaking downloads on 2018-10-29  (Read 10512 times)

Offline peterblaise

• View Profile
Google Chrome blocking Tweaking downloads on 2018-10-29
« on: October 29, 2018, 02:33:20 pm »
Google Chrome is blocking Tweaking downloads on 2018-10-29

To remedy, in Google Chrome, start the download and let it finish, then hit [ Ctrl ][ J ] and look at the download list for the blocked download file, and click [ Keep ] and continue to accept that you want to keep it anyway in spite of the warning, then you can open your downloaded file wherever it's been saved to your computer.

That's how to continue to get Tweaking downloads through Google Chrome.

Someone gonna figure this out and come up with a fix?

Google Chrome v69.0.3497.100
LastChange 920e690dd011895672947112477d10d5c8afb09-refs/branch-heads/3497@{#948}
Official Build 1

( If ONLY Google Chrome would be so attentive to keep Microsoft Windows Updates from downloading! )

; - )

« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 06:04:29 pm by peterblaise »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Google Chrome blocking Tweaking downloads on 2018-10-29
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 04:10:53 pm »
You can also whitelist URLs in Chrome.

Offline peterblaise

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 05:48:47 pm »
Thanks, but I don't want to whitelist an entire website ( and I don't know the URLs of the download until I click it, and it downloads, but is blocked on my client browser end after downloading successfully ), what if any of Tweaking's offerings ever get infected?

I'd like Tweaking downloads to present as safe to safety inspectors,

... and I'd like safety inspectors to recognise the content of ( non-infected ) Tweaking programs as safe, and wanted.

Think of infected versions of CCleaner that were released ... if I had whitelisted and trusted Piriform just because it's good ol' Piriform ...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 05:55:57 pm by peterblaise »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 01:57:40 am »
Last year my Norton Security started kicking out the Tweaking.com Windows Repair program that I already had installed.

I contacted Symantec and they logged into my computer and whitelisted www.tweaking.com which stopped it from kicking out the program.

Firefox would report as insecure when I logged into another forum - probably because that isn't HTTPS unlike www.tweaking.com which is.

When a program like Tweaking.com Windows Repair is snagged, it's usually because probably of what it does and may give off certain Heuristics which the security side of other programs see as malevolent.

These are known as false positives.

Offline peterblaise

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 04:03:40 am »
While I appreciate how to work around false positives, I'm here to make Tweaking.com aware of being hit, I'm not here just to advise folks how to work around walls.

I know Tweaking has powerful programs, but protecting people from intentionally downloading Tweaking Windows Repair is like protecting people from intentionally preparing food in their own kitchen because ... KNIVES!

Yet, if any Tweaking Windows Repair release file suddenly DOES have an infection ( it could happen ), I WANT to know, I do NOT want to whitelist the entire Tweaking website forever, indemnifying them from the possibility of ever being invaded or compromised ( as if ), and then myself being invaded and compromised as a result.

So, it makes sense for Tweaking to inspect v4.3.0 release files and to inspect Google Chrome v69-et-cetera to see what changed ( OMG, Google Chrome just updated again while I was writing this -- does Google Chrome have to use Atomic Clock resolution to differentiate and keep track of how frequently they update ?!? ).

This is NOT a "whitelist" problem.

"Whitelisting" is for spam filters to let complex emails from intended contacts through AND inspect them for malware.

"Whitelisting" is for web content filters to let intended web content through AND check it for malware.

As I wrote, the Tweaking Windows Repair v4.3.0 zip file downloads no problem, it just sits behind a wall in Google Chrome waiting for the user to give permission, but they have to go to a different screen, in case they did not know, and I offered insight on how to access it for users who might not know that it's really there on their computer, yes, they can and did download it successfully.

Using "whitelisting" inappropriately just luls us into an inappropriately trusting unprotected mindset begging for invasion.

So ... Tweaking v4.3.0 zip now has 4 hits at VirusTotal:

Antiy-AVL   Trojan/Win32.SGeneric   20181029
Cylance   Unsafe   20181030
Jiangmin   Trojan.Generic.bltld   20181030
VBA32   TScope.Malware-Cryptor.SB   20181029 <- new for v4.3.0 !

Google Chrome AND VirusTotal both pointing fingers at Tweaking Windows Repair v4.3.0?

Ok, I've let you all know what's happening at the user's end today, I ain't the boss, so you all decide what to do, if anything.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 04:14:01 am »
As you've seen from the report, it's listing it as a generic Trojan.

This is what Norton also reports when it doesn't know what to make of the Heuristics.

Programs that work on the registry tend to produce these false positives.

Go Start - type mrt.exe and press enter when it comes up and run the file check scan to see what MSRT makes of it.

EDIT - I've just downloaded and saved the download and after long removing it from the whitelist, Norton gives it a clean bill of health.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 04:24:51 am by Boggin »

Offline peterblaise

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 05:13:44 pm »
I suppose that folks who know how to come to this bulletin discussion board can ask and maybe find reports like this that may help them deal with having difficulties, especially sudden difficulties, with obtaining and trusting any Tweaking program release.

Your advice to them is to whitelist in order to to obtain any blocked Tweaking program, then scan it with malware scanners, then interpret the results ... and then maybe report here if they are not confident the results are copacetic, I suppose.

Thanks.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 05:54:38 pm »
No, that is not my advice to whitelist and scan.

www.tweaking.com and the repair program are quite safe and what you are getting is a false positive.

A way around that is to whitelist it, but I will pass on your concerns where they may contact Chrome for them to fix their program.

If you expand the pic I've attached, you'll see that Norton reports that thousands of Norton users had used that file and it was deemed to be trustworthy.

I think that will please Shane, especially if some have bought the program.

Offline jpm

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2018, 05:37:14 pm »
The curse of every small developer is the virus scan. Truth is most are based on old information and do a horrid job on new files - hence anything that isn't already on a list of known apps and be detected whether they are a virus or not.. This is called false positives. Frankly I see more false positives than real detections. But it's a scam to make you feel good about them doing a bad job.

I susect the problem came form our last release as it was "new" but there are no detection at all on this file currently.

https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/f50e0e568d7f92f83871493e4efafd6680989b6543e89a80edb004233c1c91b8/detection