Author Topic: Can't get past error message after initial file scanning on Windows XP  (Read 6091 times)

Offline darwinian2

• View Profile
After initial scanning of files, an error message appears and prevents the program from opening the repair page.  Please help. 

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Can't get past error message after initial file scanning on Windows XP
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 01:46:16 pm »
What is the error message it gives you ?

Shane was supposed to have fixed that bug in version 4.3.0 - is this the version you are using ?

Offline darwinian2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 02:53:48 pm »
I'm using the most recent version of the Windows Repair Tool--the one which states that the problem I'm having has been fixed.

The "error signature" consists of the following five items:
     AppName: repair_windows.exe
     AppVer: 4.3.0.0
     Mod Name: gdi32.dll
     ModVer5.1.2600.6460
     Offset: 0000ef40

The next pop-up is entitled Error Report Contents, which includes dozens of categories and hundreds of numbers.  At the bottom of this page is a message which says, "The following file will be included in this error report:"  I'll attempt to reproduce it below, assuming that the squiggly line is a tilde, which I will designate with that word in parentheses, since I don't seem to have the symbol on my keyboard.

C:\DOCUME(tilde)TERRIL(tilde)1.HOL\LOCALS(tilde)1\temp\1bff_appcompat.txt

Of course, I have no idea what any of this means but hope to get back soon to using the Windows Repair Tool, since I rely on it heavily to keep my older version of Windows working. 

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 03:18:10 pm »
Thanks for the Details - I'm sure Shane will understand those even if I don't :)

I've emailed Shane about you problem with a link to your thread, so he'll be able to read it when he picks up my email, but Sundays are normally his down time.

Offline darwinian2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 03:33:20 pm »
Many thanks.  I hope it's something simple to fix. 

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 03:55:57 pm »
I should think so will he.

What problems are you getting on your XP ?

Offline darwinian2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 04:09:47 pm »
The initial "Startup Check" verifies that "all needed files are in the program folder and haven't been corrupted."  Once that is completed, the program normally would go to the repair page.  However, instead, the error message appears and terminates the program.  Since I have not made any recent changes in my software or hardware, I'm assuming (hoping) that there is an easily corrected glitch in the program itself. 

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 04:12:34 pm »
What I meant was what sort of problems are you getting with your XP that you need to run the repair program.

Offline darwinian2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2018, 04:24:08 pm »
Every few days, the computer gets sluggish and seems to be struggling to perform the few tasks that I use it for, mainly e-mail, online shopping, and occasional searches for information about areas of interest.  After I run the Windows Repair Tool, the computer is usually back to normal.  I realize that Windows XP and the corresponding version of Google Chrome are no longer supported, but I think it's fun to continue to use them as long as possible

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 04:32:40 pm »
That could be your problem - have you thought about trying another browser ?

I don't have any experience of XP - I started with Win 7 but when the machine starts to get sluggish can you open Task Manager and check the Processes to see what is hogging the CPU and Memory.

Clicking on CPU or Memory will sort to highest user first.

Do you use an antivirus program and if so, which one ?

EDIT - I'm off to roost now as it's turned 12.30am here in the UK.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 04:34:21 pm by Boggin »

Offline darwinian2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2018, 02:46:26 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I've been using Avast as my antivirus program for several years.  More recently, AOL convinced me to subscribe to their "Superantispyware" program, but I started using this one well before the problem with the Windows Repair Tool began.  Nevertheless, as a test, I turned off both of these programs in order to determine whether they might be interfering with the Repair Tool.  The result was always the same--no transition from the initial file scan to the repair page.  In addition, I tried deleting and reinstalling the Windows Repair Tool, also to no avail.     

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2018, 12:49:53 am »
In Safe Mode with Networking all 3rd party programs are isolated, so they wouldn't have been the cause of the repair program not working, but if there was a problem with Avast when it is updating then that could cause sluggishness.

Were you able to find what was hogging the computer's resources and causing the sluggishness ?

Offline darwinian2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2018, 03:28:07 am »
Google Chrome and Avast are using most of the resources.  However, Internet Explorer, which I no longer use, is also high on the list.  I'm wondering whether I can click on "End Process" for Internet Explorer without interfering with the other programs.  As you noted, Avast updates could also be slowing things down.   

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2018, 03:53:44 am »
I looked up on Google about Chrome and XP and it advised using no later than v49 on XP as from v50 Chrome stopped supporting XP.

While I don't know if it's the same for XP but in Programs and Features you can select Turn Windows features on or off where you can uncheck the box for IE, but as you aren't using IE then I wonder what it's doing to be using up your resources.

Offline darwinian2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2018, 04:11:31 am »
I'm using the last version of Google Chrome for Windows XP before it was no longer supported.  The concern about turning off Internet Explorer entirely is related to the possibility of shared files.  Since the computer always seemed to function better after running the Windows Repair Tool from Tweaking.com, I always assumed that any such issues were somehow addressed.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2018, 04:54:43 am »
It's said that other browsers use aspects of IE such as HTML and would affect Outlook if you use that email.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2018, 08:35:32 am »
Shane has released 4.3.1 which should hopefully run on XP now.

Offline darwinian2

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2018, 01:30:52 pm »
Thanks, Boggin.  I was able to use the newest version of the Windows Repair Tool, but only after quickly starting the program a second time while the registry scan was still in progress. After that, the repair portion of the program ran successfully, but I still got an error message about the failed registry scan.  I'm not sure, but I think this could be due to another error message that I receive at startup about a missing program (.NET Framework 4.0.30319) and the need to reinstall it on the computer.  That program might have been removed by a disk cleanup program that I recently used.  I tried to reinstall the NET Framework program from the Microsoft website, and that attempt initially appeared to have been successful.  Nevertheless, the error message about .NET Framework 4.0.30319 still appears when the computer is restarted, and since Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft, it's possible that the .NET Framework reinstallation program can't work properly with my operating system.  I think it's perhaps that missing program that is the real problem, and if there's a way to reinstall it, I'd appreciate knowing about it.  Many thanks.   

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2018, 01:40:40 pm »
If that version of .NET Framework is for XP then it should install.

See what the .NET Framework Repair Tool makes of it - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=30135

While I haven't got my Win 7 machine on at the moment, I think on that, .NET Framework and its version are listed in Programs and Features where you can normally right click on and select repair, but see what that repair tool can do.

Offline darwinian2

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2018, 01:38:52 pm »
As you said, the Microsoft download page you recommended should work.  After all, the system requirements include Windows XP, and when I run the program, it shows the download/repair as having been successfully completed.  However, the same error message still appears at startup, and some programs (e.g., IDrive) won't load without .NET Framework 4.0.30319.  I therefore thought that, since XP has not been supported by Microsoft for several years, XP was mistakenly still listed among the system requirements for the .NET Framework program to work. 

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2018, 02:33:16 pm »
Have you tried the repair tool ?