Author Topic: Can’t open Office files directly; non-office update suspected  (Read 4098 times)

Offline George

• View Profile
Can’t open Office files directly; non-office update suspected
« on: November 30, 2018, 10:11:44 pm »
Hi,

I can’t open MS Office files directly. When I try, Windows Installer starts then fails as MSOCache\All is not accessible, Error 1706. However, I can open these files from their respective program. I run Office 2016 Pro Plus, 64 bit, on Windows 8.1.

This started when I installed Windows security update for Adobe, KB4477029; I have Acrobat DC on my laptop, and this is integrated into Office.

I’ve tried to uninstall this update, it doesn’t listed though among the installed updates; while it is shown in update history. I tried to reinstall it manually; I was told it had already been installed. I’ve found some update repair in Windows’ website, ran it, nothing happened.

Thanks for any help.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Can’t open Office files directly; non-office update suspected
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 03:12:57 pm »
That update is for Adobe Flash Player - https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4477029/security-update-for-adobe-flash-player

I would try your restore points back to before it was installed, but you can also go into Installed Updates and enter KB4477029 into the top right search box and if/when it comes up, you can right click on it and select Uninstall.

You would need to change your update settings so that it doesn't get auto installed and you would be able to hide it - if it is found that update is the cause.

Updates quite often get maligned when they shouldn't be, so eliminate it as to whether it's the cause first.

Coincidentally it's possible that MS Office has become corrupt.

Go into Programs and Features and right click on MS Office and select Repair and try your files again.

Offline George

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 08:19:32 pm »
Whatever caused the the Office issue 'Repair' fixed it. Thank you very much.

When we're at it though, I'd like to get the update straight too; 'search' can't find it among the installed updates; what to do with that?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 01:25:52 am »
Glad to see that you were able to resolve with the Repair option - MS programs usually have that option which can be more practical than reinstalling the program, especially where Office is concerned, as there can be problems in reactivating the licence.

If the update isn't causing any problems then I'd forget about it.

When an update isn't listed, you can get rid of it by using your restore points or by using the Command Prompt as an administrator with the following cmd. -

wusa /uninstall /kb:4477029 (as in this case)

Offline George

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 03:04:20 am »
Thanks for this advice too. If the update doesn't cause any problem I'll leave it, if it does I'll kill as you said.

Thank you very much for all again.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 03:09:12 am »
You're welcome :)