Author Topic: Windows 10 build 1809 and WR (Make sure to use WR 4.4.0 or newer)  (Read 22017 times)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 build 1809 and WR (Make sure to use WR 4.4.0 or newer)
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2020, 03:09:47 pm »
It should have been a new topic but it can stay where it is.

That's quite an old version of Win 10 you have.

Sometimes machines won't be updated by Microsoft because the hardware isn't compatible.

The current version of Win 10 is 1909 18363.592

You could try a manual check for updates or use the MCT to see if the machine will update, but create a system image and the means to recover with it before using the MCT.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Use the update option.

Did AVG start playing up after you installed Photoshop7 ?

To see if either is conflicting, I would uninstall both AVG and Photoshop then reinstall just AVG to see how it performs and then install Photoshop if AVG performs as it should.

However, prior to doing that, you could open Event Viewer to see if it has recorded anything for either AVG or Photoshop.

I wouldn't go playing around with the registry but you could open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter these cmds to see if there's any difference prior to uninstalling those programs.

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

exit

The first two should report completed successfully and the sfc /scannow should report that it has repaired all corruption or that there is no integrity violations.

Let me know if they report different.

Offline Brospeedster

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2020, 04:56:11 pm »
Thanks Tom.

The old version of Win 10 Pro is because I live in Australia, and despite govt promises to the contrary my Internet connection is satellite, slow, expensive and very limited in size, so I run Windows as a metered connection.  Did what you suggested, and all now seems well.  Only small issue, when I ran DISM I got an error (see screen shot), but otherwise there does not seem to a problem.
Thanks again
Ira

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2020, 01:05:55 am »
I've been looking up that error 87 and one reason could be because of a bug in Win 10 which was resolved in the Fall Creators Update - version 1703.

Did the dism /restorehealth cmd run okay ?

Offline Brospeedster

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2020, 03:19:41 pm »
Sorry for delay in reply - I have a poorly wife at the moment.

No, the restore health did not work - see attached, but sfc did - see attached.

Many thanks.

Ira

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2020, 12:46:15 am »
So the Win 10 bug is blocking those dism cmds.

It's a shame really because they are useful cmds in resolving most problems.

Because of your slow download it would probably be impractical to download a Win 10 ISO to create install media to perform a repair install which doesn't affect your personal stuff or installed programs, unlike a Reset does.

So does AVG work fully now ?

Offline Brospeedster

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2020, 02:14:44 am »
Yes AVG is fine thanks.

I can get temporary access to an unmeterd connection through a friends machine to download an ISO. I can't even get an old ADSL connection ast I am too far from the exchange, so copper doesn't work.  My friend - a couple of clicks up the road has an unlimited ADSL connection, so for odd one off's I can use his machine and burn a disk from the ISO.  Do you have a link please?

Many thanks.

Ira

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2020, 02:31:11 am »
That's great news as you could then use the install media to update your machine to the latest version.

Read the instructions at this link to create either a bootable DVD or USB - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

You don't need a burner because this does it all.

To perform a repair install, open Windows/File Explorer - This PC - insert the install media and double click on its drive.

This will start the process when using a DVD but will open to its files when using an USB where you would then double click on setup.exe Application.

The repair install gives you the option to go online to download updates, so perhaps you could do the repair install at your friend's if using a laptop.

As you will then have the latest version, you can trial run those dism cmds if you wished.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 02:50:33 am by Boggin »