Author Topic: Mysterious malfunctions  (Read 3907 times)

Offline LaRosa

• View Profile
Mysterious malfunctions
« on: November 25, 2018, 11:55:16 am »
Hello and thanks for your help. I think this Inspiron 5558 that I inherited from a deceased in-law is haunted, but before performing an exorcism I wanted the input of the Wise.

Ever since I have had this thing it ain't worked right, so there are not  too many hours of use on it.   A couple of years ago, I spilled some coffee on it and took it to a local shop for repair. They said that that they cleaned it and that it worked fine.   But two behaviors persist:  First, the computer starts repeatedly typing the letter 'P' at random times-including typing P at my sign in screen.     The other thing that happens is that a 'Project' [as in 'project to a second screen]  side screen pops up and the selection rapidly changes on its own without my ability to stop it until I continuously click on other parts of a page.. And then it stops.

No matter what I done, and I have done everything, including resetting it completely twice. I ran SCANNOW and DISM, and of course Tweaking program in safe mode with networking. I have saved the logs which seem to indicate several failures of the Tweaking program to make the desired changes., which comes to where I need some nice person's help.

I await your wise instruction. Thanks!
PS I tried to attach all of the logs but could not.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mysterious malfunctions
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 02:18:03 pm »
It could be that they didn't clean it up as good as they thought they did, with a malfunction on the keyboard occurring.

I would have taken it straight back as soon as these anomalies presented themselves.

If the shop still exists, I suppose you could still take it back and plead your case, but it seems to be more hardware related than software.

Event Viewer may have recorded something for when the screen changes which you could check.