Author Topic: Over 500 corrupt package files  (Read 4213 times)

Offline jackal

• View Profile
Over 500 corrupt package files
« on: December 07, 2018, 11:01:37 am »
I had significant issues with computer, including using browsers, ran the free Tweaking.com program and it did a great job repairing the computer...everything seems to be back up and running like normal...but the prescan tells me I have over 500 corrupt package files.  Are these something I need to worry about?  Is the only issue updating windows?  I have windows pro 7....and use malwarebytes and kaspersky office security, so not worried about exploits getting through.

But if I need to repair them...how do I manually repair over 500 corrupt package files?  Will the Tweaking Pro 4.0 do it for me if I purchase the program?  Do I need to reinstall windows or just keep going like I am and not worry about it?

Thanks much.

Offline jackal

• View Profile
Re: Over 500 corrupt package files
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 11:07:04 am »

Here is what your program tells me...along with listing all of the files.  │ Looks like I misread and have over 4500 problems found ...so what now?  Thanks.

4,543 Combined Problems were found with the packages files, these files need to be replaced (These mainly only effect installing Windows Updates.)
│ The SFC (System File Checker) doesn't scan and replace some of these files, so you may need to replace them manually.

│ THESE FILES DO NOT KEEP THE REPAIRS FROM WORKING; YOU MAY STILL RUN THE REPAIRS IN THE PROGRAM.

│ Files Checked & Verified: 9,087

│ Done Scanning Windows Packages Files.(12/7/2018 2:00:11 PM)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 02:00:41 pm »
I once had 2005 missing files and this is what I did to resolve - https://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,4412.0.html

This pre-dated my getting the Pro version.

I'm not sure if the Advanced Tools option would replace those files.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 02:03:08 pm by Boggin »

Offline Angelika

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 07:51:18 am »

Offline jackal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 01:10:16 pm »
thanks everybody and thanks for that download link.  I am backing up all of my data files.....I will then try the download link.  If that does not help, I will try a rescue disk, and if that doesn't help, I will try repair with an windows pro 7 disc....Last think will be a reinstall or even a clean install.

I do appreciate the tweaking software...I couldn't even access the internet before using it.

Regards.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 02:37:08 pm »
That download link from Angelika is simply for the System Update Readiness Tool (SURT) and while it can resolve Windows Update problems, in this instance, all it will tell you is what the Pre-Scan reported and will not fix missing .mum files.

If the cmds I've suggested don't resolve then you may have to use the extreme measures you have mentioned, but it has been found that where Intel is used, then updating/reinstalling the Chipset drivers has also worked - so give that a try before the repair/clean install.

You can do this via Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices and expand System Devices - right click on the Intel Chipset ones and select Update driver software and let it search online.

You can reinstall also using Update driver software - Browse my computer - Let me pick....  then click on the same named Chipset driver and then on Next where it will install.